Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_michael9316113

Moving kitchen sink to window - how necessary is it?

Jennifer
5 years ago

I'm slowly preparing a cape-cod style house I rent for the resale market. Oddly, the existing kitchen sink is on an interior wall kitty-corner from the window, which just has counter/cabinets beneath it. (If you are washing dishes you are about 3' from the window so it's not like you are in a dark corner.)

I will be replacing cabinets and counters, and it would be way easier to just replace everything where it is. But, the kitchen sink really would look nice under that window, which has a view of a pretty backyard.

My plumber ballparked the cost at $2K to move the sink and dishwasher, and the other issue is moving it creates more of a project for a tenant to live through.

Bottom line question, how *wrong* is it to not have the sink in the window? Is it just nice to have or is it a big "miss", one that merits the extra $2K I could spend on better appliances? My total budget will be about $7-10K over the next 3 years.

Keep the sink where it is and spend that $2000 on other upgrades
Move the sink -- it's an important focal point and will really stand out if it's not there

Comments (4)