Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnc777

Equipping a new shop...

johnc777
5 years ago

A divorce got in the way almost twenty years ago and a nicely equipped woodworking shop had to go. I still have a couple of smaller routers floating around along with a couple of RO sanders Now I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby and I'm not sure where to start. Used to be that the Delta Unisaw and Powermatic 66 where the cabinet saws. I'm not sure Delta even exists any more. I'm thinking about a budget of $10k, maybe stretched $12k because I also have to add power and lighting to my garage. I don't have any specific projects in mind beyond "furniture". I was never a turner so I don't need a lathe.

• Cabinet saw - used to have a Jet that I was pretty happy with. The fence was the weak point.
  • Jointer (8") - use to have a Bridgewood but they appear to be out of business too.
  • Planer - used to have a little Delta portable. Snipe was an issue but other than that I was reasonably happy.
  • Bandsaw - 8" resaw capacity
  • Router table - I made my own with a purchased top and fence. Big Elu router. I don't see the need for a shaper.
  • I still have a dozen or so F style clamps but my K-bodies and pipe clamps are long gone. Does Bessey still make a K-body or does someone have a better one.
  • Drill press - used to have a Delta floor model. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy.

Besides some decent blades, router bits, and miscellaneous shop supplies, what am I missing? Does $10k get me there?

Comments (6)

• rwiegand
    5 years ago

Add dust collection, a good vacuum for your RO sanders, and a track saw. Depending on what you build perhaps a Domino. And a few hand planes and chisels, and a good set of waterstones to keep them sharp.

I like having a SCMS set up with a long table and fences for crosscutting long boards and doing repeated cuts to length, but one can get by without it.

With careful shopping on Craigslist you should be able to get what you want fairly easily. Look for a Byrd or Shellex helical carbide head in your jointer/planer (or plan to upgrade). I'd still go with a PM66 or Unisaw, though you will find passionate advocates of a Sawstop online. That will take a good chunk out of your budget.

• chas045
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Aside from Craigslist, and if you are in or near the country, you might also consider Country Auctions. When I moved a few years ago from west to east coast I would not have taken anything had I known about these Estate Auctions. A family has passed away and an auctioneer sells ALL their stuff from tools to paper towels and Christmas Wrap. They are common back here and one could equip a whole shop in a few months time. The suburbs I came from had tons of Garage Sales and one could probably get stuff that way too, but these Estate Sales OFTEN had farm and tool equipment at Very Low prices. I got a nice Jet tablesaw for $125; very lucky on that one as it sold late in the day after more competition had left. However, tons of tool can be had for a fifth of your budget.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

Estate auctions can be good. A friend of mine just got a nice Jet lathe down the street from his house, with a box full of high quality lathe tools. for $275. He priced it all out new and it came to over $1k. It can take some time, and you can always buy something new if you need it and haven't found it yet, but it's worth keeping an eye out.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

It's the sharpening that's becoming a lost art. I never did learn how to do that. You almost need someone to show you how, there's only so much you can learn from magazine articles.

• klem1
    5 years ago

You are right tox,sharpening turning and carving tools require's skill. Anyone can do good work on plane irons,chisels,knives and other straight blades. I highly recommend Lansky Knife Sharpening system for professional results every time. There's affordable jigs for chisels, planes and drill bits that anyone can use to get good edges. Stainless steel knife blades have turned more people off in trying to sharpen than anything I can think of.