Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_725987054

I Need help choosing appropriate flooring for my bathroom

david sanchez
5 years ago

I am planning to install Pergo valley grove oak laminate on the living room and hallway. I would like some advice on choosing appropriate flooring for my bathroom. I had initially planned on using an faux oak tile with a wood look similar to the living room laminate but after placing some tiles on the bathroom it does not seem to be working. At the moment my bathroom has white tiles as shown in the pictures. The other picture shows the bathroom tile with the faux wood oak tile samples layed down. I would like some help in choosing an appropriate flooring option for my bathroom. Thanks in advance.

This is my bathroom flooring as of now. The walls are a beige color.

(Bottom) This is the faux wood tile samples laid out in my bathroom (bottom)

The (bottom) picture shows the laminate Pergo (valley grove oak) sample that I am using for the living room/hallway.

(Bottom) The left is the Pergo valley grove laminate flooring that I am planning to place in the living room/hallway. The right is the bathroom faux wood tile.

Comments (6)

• david sanchez
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your response. I was also thinking that the laminate/tile would look odd back to back. Do you know of a particular tile that might compliment the laminate I chose?

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

The choices are so endless! What I would suggest is taking your flooring sample down to an actual tile store (not a big box store), and asking for assistance. Personally, I am a fan of a simple tile, medium in tone, and warm (not gray), to go with your warm-toned Pergo. At least that's how it appears on my screen. And since we're talking about what I prefer, I'd choose a grout closely matching the chosen tile...perhaps just a bit lighter.

I would note that with the whites in your bathroom, you could really go in almost any direction. Maybe a hex-shaped tile for interest.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

When choosing flooring for a bathroom, the entire space is taken into account. Tile is a permanent surface which means it needs to be thought through - as a complete project.

The cabinets and counter tops look like they are ready for an update. I think I can see some pink-ish tiles around a shower??? The counters are also showing pink.

Because of the pink, you are going to have a super hard time getting an orange floor (regardless of the presentation) to sit nicely in this space. Because of this issue, I suggest you wait for a full "gut and refinish" for the bathroom before you make decisions on permanent flooring.

In other words, make your plans as a whole project not piecemeal. It will cost much less and will look much more cohesive. The pink and the orange are not working together.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

are you changing out that vanity/top? if not, I'd leave your flooring as is until you can do both. That vanity is in horrible shape. putting in new flooring will make it look that much worse. Plus, the wood look tile has no business in there w/the current tile you do have. they don't match.

Heck, look on craigslist for used vanities. I'm sure anything on there would be a step up from what you have and you won't have to spend much.

if you can find one of those oak vanities that are always on there, you can paint it, and put a decent countertop on it. then you could do some type of plank tile (just not the wood. maybe a white one)

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

As you can see, these are pros commenting on your post (I am not). These particular pros are very well known on this forum for their good sense. Since you seem very focused on simply choosing the tile (and do not seem interested in changing anything else in this tiny space), I think that if you want something just to be an improvement over what you have, and you are worried about aesthetics, then you need to re-read my response above recommending that you take the hallway laminate sample to an actual tile store for help in person. I stand by my advice for a neutral, warm color with matching grout. And yes, I do agree that this bathroom is due for a total re-do.

You have to actually SEE the tile in person. Even if you order from the internet, you should see a sample first. And your floor area is so very tiny, that almost any tile you choose will be reasonable in price. If price is a major concern, then perhaps you can also consider a simple, white solid sheet flooring. It would be easy to keep clean, and probably the easiest to install (I'm told).