Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
h_agius59

I have a baby, offset, Echeveria painted beauty! Now what? :-D

My baby is beautiful! But when and how do I remove from it's mum.
I still can't find where to get a photo into the first comments. So if I can't find it in the process of posting, I'll put them in my next comment.

Comments (24)

• Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok the photos..

Thanks

• gdinieontarioz5
    5 years ago

That looks like you are getting blooms?

• hablu
    5 years ago

Isn't this a Echeveria nodulosa??

Maybe leave it this way and see what happens.

You can root some of the leafs of the stalk and make some new plants.

• lisasfbay9b
    5 years ago

Definitely a bloom stalk. Some people remove bloom stalks because the take energy from the mother, and/or they attract aphids. I'm guessing you don;t have a lot of plants, so one bloom isn;t likely to attract aphids, You could remove the bloom later, after a few flowers open, to divert more energy back to the main plant. And then use the stalk leaves to make new babies. This will also encourage the mama plant to pup sooner. It's beautiful!!

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked lisasfbay9b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou all! :-)

I wrote comments to your comments, including seeing my previous ones, and pressed "You thanked so&so" to each of you. Just the last one Lisa's I hadn't seen.

I took of a few leaves from the bottom of the stalk while they are healthy and fat lol.

I am so excited by the whole process!!! :-D

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

Very nice plant I can't wait for mine to flower this winter!

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Matt thanks. Yes my E. nodulosa has been one of my favourites, now it's upgraded to favourite lol.

Most of my plants seem to be opportunistic growers and hibernate during our summer. At least half of them have been growing again and/or looking much better since spring weather came in.

I'd love to see a photo of your plant before it starts flowering and then of course during the flowering process.

I'm probably going to post them in this thread if I can find it :-D

Original Author
    5 years ago

I have flowers! And I love them!!!

The first one opened yesterday :-D

• geoforce
    5 years ago

Looks like you might want to behead your plant and reroot it after your bloom finishes. I would wait until I had some proliferations from the leaves though and the 'stump' often will sprout some pups after the decapitation as well.

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked geoforce
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I was wanting to get some new plants from her. I was planning to behead plus I have a few leaves. Do you think a drop of Seasol in the watering would help her energy levels.

• geoforce
    5 years ago

Most any dilute fertilizer might help and likely couldn't hurt. I'm more in favor of inorganic nutrients myself, but to each his/her own I guess.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks geoforce. What sort of inorganic nutrients could I get that are natural? What are the ones that you use made up of. And curious why you choose inorganic. You've got me interested but hesitant lol

• geoforce
    5 years ago

By inorganic, I really mean just commercial plant fertilizers. Those with micronutrients are probably to be preferred.

As a retired chemist, I am not a strong proponent of the all-natural trend, but that issue certainly has supporters on both sides.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I chopped the flower, left it for a while, then beheaded her. Very scary but worth it, hopefully :-/

The bottom, hope I get offsets :-)

The top to reroot and keep growing

Top potted up and waiting for new growth. It's in bright shade.

All thanks to you guys for helping me in my succulent journey and so know how to do this stuff... I hope lol.

Rina... much thanks to your Beheading thread/s, a very valuable resource!! :-)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Rooting for you (pun intended :) - hope top roots well and you get lots of new growth.

Bottom part should grow offsets too, I beheaded mine few times - see date on pics - and it did (left pic is not very good, but there are few offsets growing there too):

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Charline X
    5 years ago

Rina, have you ever got flowers from yours?

Mine was doing very well outside in the summer but became weak after moving indoor in the winter. I have never got flowers. Wonder if our Canadian summer is too short.

• socks
    5 years ago

Mine is doing the same. I always have wondered why it doesn’t have the normal rosette shape of an echeveria. Maybe none of them do. Just brought it in from rain.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Charline

I never had any flowers from this one...

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Socks, yours seems to have a flower stalk, at least thats what mine looked like before it grew really long and then flowered. Or is it an offset?

Rina, I had a chuckle at your pun lol. When the offsets grow, how do you decide it's time to separate baby from mum? And how? Do you have to cut them? Or do they grow roots while still attached and easily pulled off the parent?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

I wait until they are bigger.Here is a pic of one that grew quite big already, but I still waited to separate, but do not have pic of it after taken off:

I uaually just twist them off. Sometimes use knife/blade to cut off (less often). I do not remember if these grew roots while still attached; some plants do and some don't.

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Charline X
    5 years ago

A fallen leaf can grow into a new plant.

Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b thanked Charline X
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have 2 babies growing!! Soooo excited :-D

In this one you can see them both.

This is a close up of the biggest baby

The top hasn't got any new growth yet. But I'm trying to be patient :-)

All the leaves I had hoped would grow baby plants died :-(

even the big, really fat ones

Original Author
    5 years ago

Top of original plant has a root I can see, is firm to the touch and does have new growth. Yay!

It's now watered and in a shady spot.