Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fc101370

One granite slab two colors

fc101370
5 years ago

My fabricator cut a piece of granite too short and had to recut another piece from the same slab. When he brought it in, the color was obviously darker than the rest of the countertop he installed. It had been raining and I think he sealed the granite before it was completely dry. It is obviously the same slab but it’s two shades darker than the other granite. Will this eventually dry to its normal color? Or can something be done to fix this?

Comments (8)

• tropitango
    5 years ago

I do know that if I put a wet skillet onto my granite (after washing it, like if you don't put it on a towel), it will have a very dark circle for 8-10 hours from the water that is soaked into the granite. Not sure how the sealing of it will effect the timing of it. But water definitely darkens it.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    5 years ago

I am a fabricator. It's definitely possible the darker color is due to moisture. If moisture it could easily take a couple of weeks to dry completely. It's also possible the stone from a different area of the slab is darker.

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

I’d let the fabricator know you’re not happy and why. You may also tell him you’ll wait a couple of weeks to see if the darker piece lightens up, but if it doesn’t, you want the whole counter replaced with a single piece. If he cut the first piece too short, it’s his mistake to make good.

• fc101370
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, the left over granite is not enough to cut for a new piece. So the fabricator is coming back to turn the granite around. The side against the wall is a lot lighter than the rest of the piece and I think I can get away with that. The color of the granite is typhoon bordeaux and I think that because there's so much variation in the slab, I got stuck with the "wrong" color. I just hope that turning it around will do the trick.

Another option I was thinking could be done is to put back the small piece back and to cut a one inch piece off the wrong slab and have them seam it together. I know I'll have a seam running close to the stove and don't know if that spot will weaken over time.

• barncatz
    5 years ago

tropitango, suggest that you reseal your granite now if it's absorbing water. You can search Kitchens to get some sealer recommendations.

francesca703, I don't think the seam will weaken your counter but with that solution, you'll have two seams and a darker stripe and I think that will be just as noticeable. BTW, have you asked for a discount if you accept this pieced counter?

• colleenoz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well it’s unfortunate that there isn’t any more of that granite, but IMO if the fabricator screwed it up, then the fabricator is liable to replace it at his expense with a new piece of granite of the same value which you select.

Don’t let the fabricator talk you into settling for something you’re not happy with, because as I said, it’s his mistake and he needs to rectify it to your satisfaction.

If a dressmaker made you an evening gown, cut it too short and sewed on a panel of different coloured fabric, would you accept it and pay for it?

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

Did the colours settle in the end?