Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahncubides

What to do with large brick fireplace

kahncubides
5 years ago
It is just too dark and imposing. Should I paint it or whitewash? If paint, the color of the walls or white? Advice please!!

Comments (27)

• dyliane
    5 years ago

I would demo it and start over

• yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

I think that it is fine. Every room needs some contrast. Please post photos of the rest of the room.

• jpdeg12
    5 years ago
    I like your fireplace. I do not like the screen too busy. Plain black inset screen would look better in my opinion.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

White wash might be good in your case. I agree the firebox screen is too busy with the brick.

• PN _Bos
    5 years ago

i like the fireplace but not the screen. I think your mantel just needs to be styled better; some art, some greenery, maybe bigger/different sized candles & some color.

• mamamocha
    5 years ago
    If demo is not something you want to do, the whitewash or white paint gets my vote.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

I agree with Paula about the mantel being restyled. Maybe some art work above the firebox, and a trio of candleholders above the wood box. You could either hang or lean the art against the brick. Try to avoid small items, and move the photos to a shelf or table.

This fireplace is different but you can see the mantel decor is pretty simple. I love this room.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm with JudyG - black or dark charcoal. Make it a focal point.

Balmoral · More Info

• Nick Mowbray
    5 years ago

The original brick looks to be in good condition. Whitewashing would be a great updated facelift and way to brighten the room.

• gigi1993
    5 years ago

This is a typical 70s/80s fireplace surround, and was not attractive even then. If demo is not an option then definitely paint. You will need to try both the wall color and trim color to see which is more appealing. It may be neither work and you need to try other whites. Look for before and after pics - the difference it makes is amazing.

• Daniel Luna
    5 years ago

This dilemma should be looked at from a perspective of what to do around it versus what to do with the fireplace. You can add furniture that maximize your living space and bring out the fireplace.

• annied75
    5 years ago
    Demo? Really?! This is a nice fireplace that has some character with the built in wood box. Personally, I would simplify the decor first as others have mentioned. If that doesn't do the trick, then paint or whitewash it.
  • gigi1993
    5 years ago

The OP stated, “It is just too dark and imposing.” Your comment of “bring out the fireplace” is the opposite of what she desires.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

I like it a lot. Whitewash it. And remove everything. Just the logs. And a plain black screen.

• acm
    5 years ago

I'd be tempted to remove the mantel and just hang a large piece of art that would lighten the space and maybe bring some color. I don't think an expanse of brick has to be imposing...

• Liz H
    5 years ago
    I totally agree with groveraxle. Whitewash, maybe whitewash again, and then paint if you’re not happy with that.
  • acm
    5 years ago

or like this:

• Andrew Miller
    5 years ago

Fresh coat of paint and perhaps adding a mantle could help complete the astectic

• Justin Sheltraw
    5 years ago

I think painting the walls white would be a great touch!

• Tanya Wrathall
    5 years ago

White wash would contrast well with the wood in the storage and mantle, warm and inviting!

• Destiny Douty
    5 years ago

Paint the brick white! Modern and fresh.

• Jared Heckemeyer
    5 years ago

I'm not a big fan of painting brick. But, in this case if you do it right it could look awesome!

• John Dunn
    5 years ago

I think it's too dark and imposing. I would start over.

• PRO
    Gavin Historical Bricks
    5 years ago

Would you be willing to remove the mantel? We think the fireplace is great. It actually might work way better without the mantle. Just add some artwork you love and it'll be fantastic.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it's a nice FP. I'd paint it white, charcoal or black.