Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cma67

Bathroom layout dilemma

CMA67 A
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have to do a complete remodel of our master bathroom. It's compartmentalized now with a shower stall, garden tub with tile surround, a water closet and double vanity. What we need is a basic layout of a bathroom that achieves a 5 foot radius of free space (close is good) with a curb-less shower. Everything after that, in terms of functionality, storage and aesthetics, is a bonus.

We may need to sell at some point as my condition progresses so we have to consider that as well. You’ll see here in the picture (3 squares = 1 foot) where the window and door are located. My thinking is that the commode should be moved either behind where the door is now (change to pocket door) or in front of the window. We should have remodeled last year so we’re getting a late start. If anyone has any ideas we can work with we would be mighty thankful/.

-Chris

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

no pics posted

• suezbell
    5 years ago

You're putting the back of the toilet against the exterior wall beneath the window? For symmetry, you'll want the toilet tank centered with the window so you may need to change the window ... perhaps move it to the left.

Add a vanity to the left of that against the 6'3" wall (making sure you have the strength in the 9' wall and the side of the vanity to support handicapped rails. Add the shower in the bottom right hand corner where the the 9' wall and the 9'7" wall meet.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

There are corner showers designed for the handicapped.

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/3piece-freedom-wheelchair-accessible-corner-shower-40671.html

I recall once having seen one with a rounded corner and a round shower curtain rod. Will look for that, too.

You might consider redoing the flooring w/tile, adding a tile "backsplash" as your baseboard", then having a floor drain in the shower corner -- essentially making the entire room a shower floor, preferably with the shower corner slightly lower than the rest of the room with different colored tiles clearly identifying the location of the slight "slope" between the bathroom floor and the shower floor.

CMA67 A thanked suezbell
  • Design Girl
    5 years ago

As a designer, I would rather see the toilet behind the door than under the window. It is never a great idea to walk into a room and see the toilet ahead if you can help it. It certainly seems that you have a better option. Hiding the toilet would also be more beneficial to a potential buyer in the future. Toilets under windows are never the first choice.

CMA67 A thanked Design Girl
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Did you watch the tv show "JAG"? The lead male actor (character Harmon Raabb(sp?)) had a shower in his apartment that wasn't a separate room. The shower was not a traditional shower enclosure - it was just a short wall (perhaps waist or chest high). (May have had a clear material atop that up to shoulder high.). The floor was barely lower than the apartment floor. That is sorta what I meant above.

CMA67 A thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

You could have a wheel chair friendly vanity about 4' wide and put a pony wall between a vanity and toilet so it would not be glaringly the focal point as you enter the room; however, with a family member using a wheelchair, ACCESS will be more important than "looks" so think twice before putting the toilet behind the door. The family member in the wheel chair may need to have someone enter/exit to provide assistance and no one wants their knees bumped by a door. You also want to be sure ALL three -- vanity, shower and toilet -- are easily accessible ... not just the shower.

CMA67 A thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

i don't know if you've looked at any plans. see if these help

CMA67 A thanked Beth H. :
  • CMA67 A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suezbell I’m going to try an keep from moving the window, new glass/window/squares is an option if we end up doing a wet-room at the far end having the toilet and shower behind glass as Queenvictorian suggested.

The vanity is difficult for us to come up with. We’re thinking one on each side but different lengths. Like a wall mount on the right side that a chair can partially roll under like this from Toto:

Then doing the 4’ wc friendly on the left as you suggested. This idea may not be practical though as it makes incorporating things like a linen closet or heated towel rack a problem.

The toilet on the right just as you enter from the bedroom (3’7” wall) would be out of sight and easiest to get to. There could be a grab bar behind (against the bedroom wall) and another bar on the 9’7” wall. Here we have the toilet out of sight in both the grab bars out of sight when you’re looking in from the hallway leading to the bathroom with the door slid open. I totally agree with Brian on all points.

Thanks for the bathroom specs and helpful photos Beth

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

CMA,,,I like that one too. I think if you did a curb less shower, a good bench seat and grab bars (make sure those are figured in because they need to be attached to studs before the waterproofing goes in) and a floating vanity accessible in a wheelchair, would be best. perhaps finding a designer who specializes in ADA type bathrooms would help?

• CMA67 A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’ll have to start a new thread to figure out where to build them in the space.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

Is this room on floor joists or on a slab? If you plan ahead for the shower location, you can allow for a pre-sloped shower area where the new shower floor slopes to a drain area that is lower than the existing floor. There are pre-cast shower pans with the right slope, or pre-fabricated underlayment (Kerdi Shower LTS, etc.) that you install under the tile in the shower.

Bruce

• CMA67 A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It’s on a slab, everything‘s getting relocated though

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

There are pre-made shower pans with a very low threshold that you could install on top of the concrete slab. If you need accessibility for a wheelchair, some have a built-in sloped entry, while others have short ramps you can add in front of the curb so that a wheelchair can roll over it.

Bruce