Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakendoodlelove

Feel like I’ve made a mistake... need help!

Laken
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need some help and fast. I am redoing our condo in Myrtle beach. I was going for the beachy cottage type feel in it. I want it to look clean & undated. Dating it was a feel fear/factor In everything I looked at. I am such a plain Jane and realize I really totally suck at picking things. I always second guess EVERYTHING! Another thing I’ve done is found things I’ve liked then changed my mind due to images posted online. I’ve let them influence me & I then change my mind.

Also, the condo looked very dark to me before the renovation so keeping it light and airy is important to me. I was determined that I was using subway tile. I spent hours looking at tiles. I ending up choosing white subway for both bathrooms because I struggled so much trying to choose. Now it’s time to choose the backsplash and our contractor is saying the tile I’m picking will look like a bad tile job (it’s wavy).

I‘m so over tile I could cry. Now I’m wishing I did not do the white subway in the bathrooms and only did it in the kitchen. Too late I know. Is it weird if I do the same white subway in the kitchen using a different grout color? I really wanted a subtle splash of color but the whole dated thing is stuck in my head. I’ve tried to find a subway tile that would offer this but I’m not having any luck. They’re darker than what I’m looking for.

Enough rambling.... Here are the details and some pics.... Cambria Ella countertops, white shaker cabinets, ss appliances.

Last pic I have of the kitchen. Posting just to show the cabinets.

Cambria Ella

These tiles were all in the running at some point or another. I love the multi color board but their edging scared me. It looks too dark. The greenish color, which is actually a light gray, is one I loved but again I think dated and I’m not sure I want “green”. Had it been more to the blue side I’m pretty sure i would have chosen it! From the start I wanted a very light gray subway in the kitchen. The bottom left (darker gray but lighter in person) was the original one I chose. I decided against it after seeing pics online that looked dark.

(Here is a picture of Clambaked‘s backsplash on Houzz is what took me to Whisper White)

My latest tile for the backsplash I had chosen. It’s MSI whisper white. This is the “bad tile job” tile. In the contractors defense I get what he is saying as he’s picky about how subway tile should look. He is all about clean lines, smooth & flat. That’s what he likes. The top picture is what I sent him. To me, I see glossy & slightly wavy which reminded me of the ocean water & waves so I really loved it! Plus it is white (my plain Jane kicking in) and it IS a subway tile but different in style which I felt would work without copying the bathrooms too much.

Back to the drawing board I went. I just seen this and thought of going with it as it has some color. It photographs terribly. The first pic does not do it justice. The second pic shows it better. It’s one you have to see in person. I’m really afraid it’ll be too busy though.

I’m almost to the point in saying just do the white subway tile with a whiter grout like in the whisper white pic. The bathrooms have light gray grout) but I don’t want to regret it! I need some thoughts and suggestions please!

Comments (13)

• Laken
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Close up of Whisper White...

• hartlind
    4 years ago

Just wondering what you did with your backsplash after all! I too am planning on Ella with white cabinets in a Florida condo. Ella has a cool gray tone, so I'm wondering if the backsplash color should be gray-toned as well.

• Laken
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! I went with the “wavy” white tile I posted in the picture above. It reminds me of the ocean waves. I’m very happy with it and received many compliments! I too wanted gray or blue or something but I keep thinking what if it gets “old”. Btw... I LOVE my Ella! I’ll dig up a pic and post the backsplash.

• Laken
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess from this post It’s called Whisper White. I included a pic of Ella. Wish I had a better pic but it doesn’t photograph well i guess. It’s beautiful in person.

• hartlind
    4 years ago

I love the wavy tile, Laken. I've always been attracted to it. Is your grout white or slightly gray? And Jeannette, that is a great backsplash and beautiful kitchen! Love the knobs.

• Laken
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jeanette, love your backsplash! I do think that was the exact one i was considering!!! I’m such a plain Jane, neutral like of gal, I couldn’t bring myself to add color. The bravest i could bring myself to go was the wavy which glistens depending on the lighting.

Hartlind, it’s white. I have regular white subway with light gray grout in the bathroom so I wanted it to look a little different.

It’s funny you found this post. I’m in the process of choices for my kitchen at home and backsplash is all I have left to choose! I still lean towards choices similar to the above lol. I am going with a Hanstone (Montauk) that’s similar to Ella. We are doing a beautiful white oak hardwood throughout (super excited!) in our home so I had to try to save in other places. I would have picked Ella if I could!!! I did the opposite at our condo. Splurged on the quartz and did a luxury vinyl on the floors throughout. I don’t mind the luxury vinyl there as it’s great for water & sand that gets tracked in. What kind of flooring will your kitchen have?

• hartlind
    4 years ago

Laken, were getting a lighter brown wood look porcelain tile. I feel pretty confident that it will look good with Ella and white cabinets. I love reading stories like yours on Houzz to get the benefit of your experience! Your backsplash tile complements your wonderful Cambria. And I too want to bring light to my kitchen, and glossy white will do that. Then there are bath tiles to pick. Yikes! Keep us posted on your new project!

• J
    4 years ago

We have the original white oak which were refinished . We added hardwood floors throughout the first floor to give our home a more cohesive look.

• Laken
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hartlind I’m sure it will be beautiful & last forever! Great choice!

jeanette.... IVE recently discovered white oak and love it!!!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    4 years ago

We are remodeling a FL beach condo - two baths and a kitchen. Nothing has given me more sleepless nights than tile Selection! Especially from 1200 miles away....

• hartlind
    4 years ago

I'm in the exact same boat as you, stir_fryi, including being in SE Michigan. Rochester Hills. Ormond Beach. They're demo-ing our old floor today, so I'm running out of time.

• gallagk
    4 years ago

Wavy tile looks weird to me with shaker style cabinets. Shaker is about functional simplicity. Go with contractors advice- a clean simple tile. Stop stressing. It’s a white on white kitchen.