Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlhouse2

Help us make this house feel like a home!

dlhouse2
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello-

Looking for design advice! Large front living space. Light gray walls, tan couch, Newly installed wood laminate floor (colors grays/browns). None of the above listed can be switched out or changed.

Please pardon the mess shown! Work in progress!

webuser_191310435's ideas · More Info

Looking to tie room together with curtains and area rugs. (current choice is gold foil grommet curtains; rug is tan, gray, teal blue.) Also will need pillows and art work etc to complete.....

Pics are what we've come up with- want input on if we're on the right path or far from it!

Thanks!

Comments (30)

• della70
    5 years ago

What strikes me is that your sofa is very casual, and the pillows and curtains are very formal. I would switch out the pillows for something in teal, the same color in your rug. I would also change the black curtain rod to something like brass, or glass. I might go with a solid panel in the same shade as the wall. So basically, if you are going to use a pattered rug, with a solid sofa and walls/curtain panels, you would bring the other colors from the rug up to the sofa with pillows, and perhaps with other accessories such as lamps or wall hangings. Hope that helps.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Can you step back and get a few more pics of the whole room? I am wondering if your rug could be turned...and for me the pillows/drapes definitely aren't working. Too refined for the sofa and too repetitive of pattern.

• Susan
    5 years ago

Picture of the entire room is needed. From he first picture it is the curtains and the pillows that are not working in the room. Dark teal in a pure solid or solid texture is where I would start. From what I can tell the rug needs to be turned and placed under the sectional part way if possible. It also looks like the sectional is too close to the window. Bringing the whole grouping off the wall a bit if space allows might be nice. Cannot comment on art since there are no blank walls shown in your photos.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Design Dilemmas need to show all four walls and adjoining spaces so all the advice takes into account layout, colors, style, etc. Just showing one side of a room won't give you the best advice.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I really like what you've done with the walls/sofa/rug and think you've pulled it all together. I personally feel the gold is going in the wrong direction however. The gold pillows on the sofa don't look comfortable and seem to clash with a "comfy" vibe.

I think you'd do well to go with the colors in your rug for the curtains and throw pillows. Drapes are expensive, so I'd suggest a solid color that you can keep long term for them. A nice heavy chenille or velvet curtain in one of the rug colors (probably the gray-tan-brown rather than blue),

Add some nice cozy throw pillows as well as a soft throw, perhaps mixing in the blues/browns/grays and I think you will have a lovely room to enjoy!

• dlhouse2
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far....
    I just added some additional pics of the entire room as a few of you suggested. Brown coffee & end tables are on the way and will match the tv console shown

• Susan
    5 years ago

Definitely bring the sectional away from the windows. I thinking bringing it off the back wall would also be good, but with the doorway I'm not sure you have enough for anything usable, so may just subtly floating. You either need to turn the rug and place just the front legs of the sectional on it or move the TV console to the adjacent wall. Art behind on the wall behind the sectional.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Did you order one or two end tables? How big are they? I agree that your sofa has to come out from the window wall and not crush the drapes. (full length drapes just may not work well here) Is the sofa able to be configured differently? And yes,if the TV is staying there, turn the rug. Also,consider a pad for your rug to protect your new floors,the rug itself and add that cushy feel. I've purchased from this place a few times https://www.rugpadusa.com/collections/for-vinyl-and-vinyl-plank-floors/products/eco-plush-3-8

• dlhouse2
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2 end tables & coffee table. The couch will be moved away from wall. No the couch cannot be configured differently.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

You need to add some warm colors into the mix. Right now everything is neutral, gray, blue, which reads as rather one dimensional and lifeless. Green plants would be a great addition. I'm not sure the rug is the best one for this room, I would have gone for a tribal Oriental look with warm colors. You've boxed yourself in somewhat with the grayish color of the floor which is a trend that is difficult to work with. Try adding yellows and greens, with some more colorful pillows that incorporate cool and warm tones both.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Please give us photos of entire walls. Rooms are not designed one piece at a time. From the little I can see, I say you need more teal, in a pillow or two or a throw.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Move the couch away from the curtains so they and the room can breathe. Get some solid colored pillows in teal, or a teal throw. Lower the TV a bit so you're not looking up at it, you don't want it to "loom." Get some nice art in there and make sure you have enough lighting, and then pat yourself on the back and enjoy your room!

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Thanks for the extra photos. TV is too high and TV console is too short.

• bncaew
    5 years ago

Beverley, can you post a link for the art you included in your mock up please?

• salonva
    5 years ago

oh Beverly your suggestion is gorgeous (and that art work is so reasonably priced---Bonus points!)

• dlhouse2
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beverley- curtain suggestions to go with this??

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

You could do with a larger rug, too.

• bncaew
    5 years ago

Thank you so much!

• Kendrah
    5 years ago

Beverly's turquoise suggestions are fantastic! Go Bev!

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Grover and Beverly you are such nice, generous people to share these things for free. It's a joy to follow your posts!

And I second the thumbs-down on torchiere lights. I have three at work and they are awful unless all you want is a vague glow in the room.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

Perhaps you were being "tongue in cheek" with your original post about making a home.

If your house is the place where you drop your belongings with no concern, sleep peacefully when you get into your bed and turn out the lights, lock the door to the outside world, and enjoy your dinner, then you have a home. No amount of home decor is going to change that.

Sometimes when I am on an airplane it occurs to me that I am looking down on so many homes where the people who live there are living in their own little bubble of security and comfort in their homes. When you are in your home, it seems so encompassing and comfortable. But, when you view it from so far above, you see how very small and it is and how it is just a small drop in a sea of others just like it. but, there you are in your own little, tiny space of earth, your own tiny, tiny piece of the planet that you "own". How can such a tiny piece of the earth be filled with so much that concerns us? There are so many floors, pillows, landscaping, plumbing, rugs, kitchen cabinets, bathroom fixtures that demand our attention, yet it is such a tiny and insignificant speck of earth!!!!

Sometimes I imagine what my neighborhood would look like if all of the walls and structures disappeared and all that was left was just the people, suspended right there where they are doing what ever they would be doing if the walls were still there. It is hard to imagine just how many people are surrounding you when they are all in their houses. Can you imagine the solid block of humanity that would reveal itself if it were in a large dense city? But, they are all behind walls...homes, offices, etc........ until it all disappears.

At this moment I am sitting probably less than 30 feet away from my neighbors who are doing what ever it is that they are doing. They are so close, but we can't see each other., hear each other. We are each in our own little homes, with walls. Home gives us such peace and a somewhat delusional sense of safety.

I love my home, no matter the decor. It is full of what gives me comfort and refuge.

Losing ones home has got to be traumatizing. I feel deeply for those who have lost their homes out in California recently. My family members lost everything in Katrina.

Treasure your home....and add some teal colored pillows, for sure! You are very fortunate to have a nice home to retreat to....enjoy! Maybe I will fly over your home someday.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think with the light walls taupe drapery panels would work best.

• dlhouse2
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beverly - thank you! Can you share where the lighter curtains are from? (the 1st picture)
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Pull the sofa out 12 inches away from the windows. You are smashing the drapes.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I like your curtains, I like the touch of bling the gold ads.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Beverly and Groveraxle have gone above and beyond. For anyone following, here's my take on their wizardry:

--Because the sofa + floor are a sea of brown, it's time to bring in an accent color for contrast--the teal.

--Because the sofa is so oversized, art above the sofa, colorful pillows, the teal ottoman, and the lamps pull the eye up and away from the mass of sofa.

--Because the TV is so large--another visual dark space in the room--what's underneath it needs to be much wider. Long, low storage shelves across that wall might be a way to go. This room, btw, shows the balance of colors, finishes, contrast, etc. that Grover and Beverly suggest for your room.

Home Staging Alquiler en Logroño · More Info

The patterned rug is a good choice, but if you can return it for a bigger one, that would also balance out the big sofa. You might want to reconsider the brown tables en route to your home unless they are up on legs. What works well in a room is contrast--dark sofa, light, clear, or colored coffee or side tables.

Rooms need to "breathe" That's why several people said to move the sofa away from the walls a bit. Because you already have so much solid brown or black--sofa, flooring, console, TV--think about lighter side tables up on legs.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

The gold seems out of place in this fairly casual room.