Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morricone

Is there a standard for handrails on a stairway? For a 1920s craftsman

morricone
5 years ago

I'm installing a handrail on my 1920's craftsman style house, and just wondering what should be standard for my layout. I have the previous owner's railings, but I think it was overkill and I'd like to keep it minimal. Not sure what the standard may be. Stairway is 7 steps up, then 2 landings doing a 180 turn, then another 5 steps up to the second level. I have a fairly large banister that spans the first 5 stairs up. There was a full railing on the right side spanning all 7 steps up, plus another railing above the banister covering the top 2 steps. And of course for the second half there was a railing that spanned the top 5 steps, which I will install.

Main question is would I need the full 7 step railing on the right? Or does the banister suffice, and I can just make do with installing the 2 step piece on the upper left? It's a standard 36" wide stairs on the lower half. And I'm not doing this for safety - had no railings for years. Just want to get it up to standard. There were elderly people living here before, so possibly they had more railing than needed.

So if anyone has input on what would be standard for a modern feel but still retaining the original style of this type of house. Which is similar to a bungalow layout on the main level, but has a full 3 bedroom upstairs. Any input would be appreciated.

Banister from main level

Looking up the stairs

Looking down from half way point

Looking down from second level

Comments (7)

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

I think building code dictates that you need a railing on the upper part of the staircase (we have four staircases in our house, and only the main front one has sufficient railing (banisters all the way up) - inspector cited all the missing stair and porch railings).

You could use a simple railing since it's not in the same view as the banister, or have the rail match or kinda match the one on the banister if you really want. I'd use a simple iron or brass mounts and have the railing be the same color as the banister.

As for my house, there are times when I very much wish railings were there - the steep, tunnel-like butler stairs DEFINITELY need a railing. I'll have to make it a weekend project.

morricone thanked queenvictorian
  • sambah006
    5 years ago

People were apparently more agile and had a lot better balance back in 1924.

And a lot less wide.

Your stairs look narrow. Adding a railing is going to make going up and down the stairs awkward especially if carrying something.

morricone thanked sambah006
  • Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    The important difference between original handrails and new codes is at the ends of the rail. Most older handrails are continuous straight pieces attached to the wall with the ends open. The current code requires the handrail to be continuous around corners and returned to the wall top and bottom so the user cannot catch anything around the end and cause an accident. While this requirement does make adding a handrail more difficult, the result is much safer.
    morricone thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I may be wrong, but I believe that the current code for railings also includes a code that the spindles be 4" apart or narrower. This has to do with small children putting their heads through railings and then choking to death trying to get them out. My ding-dong brother made a deck/porch for my mom's mobile home and made them larger. My husband and I had to go in and put anew spindle between every last one of those that my brother put there!

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This look is not for everyone, but we did pipe fitting railings in our 100 year old home on the narrow stairs up to our 3rd floor attic. These pics are not of ours, but the same idea.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I used this idea for a railing on the ramp my brother later had to add to Mom's porch. It does work very well, and is low-cost.