Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_matthew92

craftsman dilemma

David Matthew
5 years ago
Hi, after months of searching for home plans, I think I’ve narrowed it down to a craftsman look (modern farmhouse came close). I have a plan with 2 exterior options. Appreciate your thoughts on which elevation looks better - option A front porch with brick siding or option b, stone siding. I’m leaning towards option A, all white with painted brick. Let me know your thoughts

Comments (11)

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

First ones hands down.

Windows are miles better and it doesn't have awful fake shutters on it. And there's a cute porch and it's just better.

• tatts
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

B has a nasty little entrance that is almost invisible, with room for a person and maybe a small dog.

A has a porch, but in appearance only. It's not deep enough to actually use it as a porch (for sitting); it's just a covered walkway. Pointless.

They both have that stupid little roof mess above the front door, and I don't see any gutters. Even if there were gutters, they'd easily become overwhelmed because that's a lot of steep roof funneling into 'V' and then shooting into a very short gutter over the entry. Hot wet mess.

• ocotillaks
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't like either of them for the same reasons listed above. Here are some better representations of a Craftsman. You might want to google "Vintage Craftsman House Plans"

Craftsman | The Red Cottage · More Info

The Rustic Residence You Will Always Want To Come Home To · More Info

Our Work — J B Hall Custom Homes · More Info

• pkpk23
    5 years ago

Plan A but get rid of brick- continue house siding all the way down and on garage front.

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    5 years ago

I agree with your choice of A. It has a lot more integrity to the design. I also agree with painting the brick white which would minimize the odd proportion of the scale of the area over the garage doors in relation to those doors. Painting it out all white will make it look like more like trim. There is so much obvious "off" with option B, which others have mentioned.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

#1 if you must choose from these and no brick .#2 is a something wannbe not sure what certainly not Craftsman.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

When seeking architectural design examples, go straight to the source:

Have you considered having a local architect design a home with you?

• Matthew
    5 years ago

Plan A if you have to choose from those two, and get rid of brick except for the porch columns.

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

Plan A but get rid of the gable within a gable roof in the middle ..looks silly

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

I'm sorry to have to say...but neither design looks anything like a Craftsman or a farmhouse, regardless of the titles used.

And why is the fascia over the garage so high, making the wall with the garage door in it even larger and more prominent? It looks very out of place. The garage fascia should align with the porch fascia.

Both are very poor designs. You can do much better if it's important.