Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbubbly

contractor damaging unsealed leathered quartz

sarahbubbly
5 years ago
So I’m not yet in my new kitchen, and we have problems. I love the look of the leathered quartz , but we have a situation on our hands.
The day of countertop install, the installer said that our leathered finish will need to be sealed and would I like him to seal it? I replied YES. He said he’d come back. My contractor was standing right there.
So construction continues. People made marks on the counters - subs and two employees. Finally, the installer came back and was unable to clean the marks (a foam adhesive, presumably). He left WITHOUT sealing.
More marks, grease smudges. Still no fixes.
Just today they are saying, we don’t ever seal quartz. That doesn’t explain to me the advice and offer to seal it because it is leathered.
Seems like my contractor is going to shove this back on us. I feel that they should have sealed it right away AND protected it while working. How can you turn a kitchen over to your customer that is damaged?
Are we stuck with having countertops that were marked and damaged in construction? Or paying for new ones, and potentially damaging our new tiles and cabinets in the process on another install?
What should I do?

Comments (49)

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Examples
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

Quartz does not need to be sealed. Installer probably goofed when he asked you that....then realized it was quartz....which is why he never came back to seal it. Sad that someone is going to have to eat this top. Tops shouldn't be that delicate. I'd love to know which brand and color this is. I will avoid it like the plague! It doesn't look leathered....looks more like a honed or suede finish. Leathered typically has more texture. Honed is a LOT less forgiving than a leathered finish.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is Daltile One Quartz Broadway Black leathered, I believe
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

You mention : So construction continues. People made marks on the counters - subs and two employees.

Who are they? Are they the fabricator's crew or the rest of the construction crew?

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not the fabricator. He was very cognizant of the countertops. Meanwhile, other trades come in to install appliances, tiles, flooring. Some put cloths down on the counters and some do not.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ummm....you don't leather quartz. Quartzite, yes. Not quartz. Sounds like you have an incompetent fabricator. Contact the quartz manufacturer. They might call it a "leathered" finish, but it is not. It is honed. If the fabricator is trying to "leather" quartz, OY VEY do you have a mess.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This quartz came in a leathered finish.
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It is manufactured that way.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

It is NOT leathered. As I said, it is a honed finish. They use the term "leathered" to generate sales. The fabricator should not be doing ANYTHING to the quartz as far as the finish. It does NOT need to be sealed. CALL THE MANUFACTURER.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

hmmm. If the fabricator did not damage the counters but others did then they are accountable for this damage especially in dealing with chemicals etc. They seemed to be careless and damaged your counter regardless if it was meant to be sealed or not in my opinion.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chessie, the fabricator did not do any leathering or anything to it. You might not be understanding. This product is Daltile Quartz in leathered finish. Manufactured that way, and sold that way.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

I do understand. Do you know what "leathered" is?? Doe the finish look like this? If so, then that is a first. Quartz finishes are either glossy or honed (matte). Die to the nature of how quartz is manufactured, (it's not a solid natural material - there is a resin binder) it cannot have a "leathered" finish.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chessie, that is the name of the product.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

Yes I understand that is the name. I'm just trying to tell you that "leathered" is a very confusing term - your quartz is really NOT leathered, and if the fabricator does not understand (and clearly they don't) the material, you need to call the manufacturer and get this issue addressed.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chessie, I would also add that it definitely lives up to its name - it looks and feels leathered, not honed. So I guess I was asking about sealing leathered quartz - who has some advice on that?
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m not really here to discuss whether or not it is leathered. It is.
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So my burning questions are:
    1. Do contractors normally protect countertops?
    2. Should this have been sealed?
    3. Is it possible for this contractor to turn my kitchen back over to me next week with these damaged countertops?
    4. Did I choose the wrong product or was the process flawed?
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

No one has advice on it because "leathered quartz" has simply not ever been a "thing". I don't understand why you would not call Daltile.

1) Contractors should always protect countertops from damage while they are installing said counters.

2) Quartz is not normally sealed.

3) No idea.

4) I think you chose the wrong product or the wrong fabricator.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chessie, we do have anupcoming meeting with Daltile.
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Chessie - according to the Daltile website, OneQuartz comes in polished, semi polished, honed AND leathered finishes. Maybe this is something new.

OP - I can't actually see anywhere on the site that sealing is required, though there is a warning about the extra care and cleaning required for honed and leathered surfaces.

I'd be taking this up directly with the GC. His responsinility to get that top back to "as new" condition, I would have thoght.
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Good contractors usually protect new countertops & or schedule the countertops to a time later when work is completed that could cause damage. I have seen job sites where contractors built a temporary plywood box over base cabinets with countertop to protect them while they worked.

• User
    5 years ago

This is a twofold problem. Non polished Quartz just behaves like that. It stains and blotches from Oils and dirt. Dealing with that is part of choosing non polished Quartz. So if you didn't want the extra maintenance, you chose the wrong material.

But the GC should always immediately protect the counter after it is installed. That is on the GC of the job. He should have let the first staining issue be all yours to deal with.

If he can't fix it, he buys you new. I suggest polished only.

• User
    5 years ago

You don't seal quartz. There are plenty of stories about the issues with matte countertops, so you may not have done enough research before settling on the product. Your GC is an idiot for not protecting a finished surface while work was still happening. Did he forget to protect the floors too? Or to put up plastic to keep the dust out of the rest of the house?

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for the helpful comments... my contractor is not accepting responsibility for stains so far... we will see what happens next.
  • Fori
    5 years ago

It doesn't matter what the countertop is. The GC should have protected it. PERIOD.

• Hillside House
    5 years ago

Yes, the GC should have protected it. The question is, can this be sealed to prevent further staining, or is this going to be an ongoing issue? If so, does Sarah want to keep it, or cut her losses and choose another countertop material?

• my_four_sons
    5 years ago

You need a new countertop. If you have to get another quartz, get it polished. Your contractor should be responsible for damage that occurred while the project was being completed. Your fabricator should have warned you about honed or leathered or whatever they’re calling it. Lots of threads on here about how crappy these finishes are. Do your research and don’t get polished next time.

• Nidnay
    5 years ago
    Absolutely the GC should have protected your counters...that should be a given. That being said though, there are numerous threads here discussing honed quartz. I understand you said your counters are leathered (although they do look honed to me), but regarding quartz, anything other than a polished surface is going to give you trouble. And even though your GC had the responsibility to protect your counters, they would very soon have ended up looking similar to what you’re seeing now. A quartz counter with any kind of matte finish should never be sold for use in a kitchen. As soon as you touch it, skin oils just soak right in and you will see every little mark and spot. It’s just a poor choice for any counter that actually gets any use.
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think I was able to capture the texture here with close up photos.
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I can see why people say it looks honed. It’s not very leathered in texture. These pics make it appear smooth.
  • sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I appreciate all the comments. Thank you.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

"jmm1837

Chessie - according to the Daltile website, OneQuartz comes in polished, semi polished, honed AND leathered finishes. Maybe this is something new."

Yes I had checked the website already - I have seen the term "leathered" used before, for quartz, but quite honestly it was always a "honed" finish - not a true "leathered" one. But yes this could be some new technology, agreed. Hopefully OP will keep us updated on the situation.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chessie, did you see my two pics with the bumpy texture? I’ll keep you updated.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

sarahbubbly, those pics look like the "concrete" quartzes that so many have complained about. Definitely would suggest that you rethink your choice of material. Please do keep us posted. (I still think your fabricator owes you new counters.)

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

I see you mentioned your quartz is Daltile One Quartz...Here are their recommendations for their matte surfaces.

Just as an FYI, this is Ceaserstone’s recommendation for their honed/matte finishes which I find unbelievably absurd.

• tiggerlgh
    5 years ago

Chessie why would the fabricator owe her a new counter? They did nothing wrong IF any one does it’s the contractor. But not even positive about that.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How nuts. That’s not why people get quartz.
  • Hillside House
    5 years ago

My quartz countertops are virtually maintenance free. The problem isn’t the quartz, the problem is the leathered finish.

Do you have a kitchen designer? Or just a contractor? Was anyone guiding your decision-making process, to let you know this was an issue? How about when the countertops were ordered? Others have said they were required to sign something about the extra maintenance when they ordered their countertops... was this the case with you?

This is one of those “you don’t know what you don’t know” situations. And, hopefully, you have someone helping you out that does know, or you research the heck out of things before you plunk down serious cash.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"tiggerlgh

Chessmen why would the fabricator owe her a new counter? They did nothing wrong IF any one does it’s the contractor. But not even positive about that."

I'm assuming the fabricator did the install and damaged the counters. Whoever did the damage should pay for it.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    When the fabricator did the install, the counters were perfect.
    After that, all the subs and my own contractor’s employees came in and made messes that the fabricator couldn’t clean when he came back with acetone to clean and was prepared to seal it.
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

"sarahbubbly

How nuts. That’s not why people get quartz."

Agreed. It's why people need to steer clear of these finishes; they are simply not worth the hassle. Manufacturers are trying to mimic the granite and quartzite finish options, and it's absurd. Totally not fair to unknowing consumers.

• sarahbubbly
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well, a vendor came out (Daltile sent them per contractors request, I understand) and said that a sealer will solve the problem. The contractor doesn’t admit the stains are damage, says they are normal because we chose this countertop. We still think they should have either sealed when they installed or covered and protected the countertops during work.
    The vendor will use Aqua Mix Enrich N Seal - it will darken the countertops and supposedly hide the stains. He showed us a sample he made using the same countertop material- the water runs right off it. We will see on Friday how this turns out.
    We hope this will hide the damage and we will be able to cook normally in our kitchen!
  • Hillside House
    5 years ago

Good luck!

• rockypointdog
    5 years ago

If the contractor/sub/whoever damaged it, they owe you a fix or replacement. Doesnt matter if it’s easily damaged or not. If you damaged it, that’s on you. If they damaged it, that’s on them. I would make it clear that I am willing to try the sealer, but if I am not happy with the darker countertops then I am still expecting a satisfactory fix or replacement. Good luck!

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

There are several threads on here that have had a similar nightmare with leathered quartz. It's not a good idea, as you have discovered the hard way.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

I hope you have raised holy hell with the contractor! Either his employees or subs damaged your pristine counters through neglect and laziness...too lazy to tape down a protective barrier as a precaution...what did he think would happen...he has obviously been in the construction trades for a while! I get why the counter people could not cover the counters...it takes time for silicon, etc.to cure...your contractor or his subs have NO excuse!

To blame you for the product choice is ridiculous...they damaged not you. Good luck on this and do not settle until you are satisfied.

• Janelle
    4 years ago

What ended up happening? Did the sealant fix the issues? Or did you have to replace?

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Following

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!