typeandrun

new Kitchen layout design

typeandrun
5 years ago

trying out a new kitchen design, feedback appreciated

Comments (33)

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    How much space is between the island and the sink? If two people are in the kitchen, can you both move in that area?
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

are the range and hood on an outside wall? Is the remote position of fridge the only option......if you show from overhead the dimensions of your space, maybe a different location for fridge can be found. If the fridge must remain there.....bring the cabinets on the left forward by ordering increase depth/ and place some cabinets to right of fridge.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

No. Your range is a mile from the sink. Get some pro help or draw it flat and add every single dimension and post

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

Is your island a barrier island...hard to tell without a to-scale drawing? How many door openings are in the kitchen?

• alex9179
    5 years ago

A sketch of the floor plan would give more information. Without knowing distances, the sink seems inconvenient to the range and the island a barrier between them. That's a busy path in the kitchen and you want to reduce impediments. The fridge is what, ~12 feet away from the prep/cooking area? I'm pretty much echoing the other comments. The design can be more functional.

• Grace Reed
    5 years ago
    Yes, we need dimensions. And, would you consider open shelving around the window to open up the space and let more light in?
  • Susan Davis
    5 years ago

All the openings, three ? or four ? are two too many......why all the openings dividing the walls in half so you cannot run any amount of counter space.....am I missing something here...is this a new built or new kitchen in an older space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO you need a designer there is nothing amazing about this kitchen , IMO too big of a walkway between the island and the stoveit is hard to get a feel for the space a 2 d floor plan os much better but that fridge seems to be a long way from the sink . All those openings need to be described and best with the floor plan to also show what spaces are all around the kitchen

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Here is some info. This is an existing kitchen, but with an entirely new layout. It has been quite the challenge, with all the doorways. We are working with a kitchen designer, no way I would tackle this on my own! We are enlarging the entrance to the dining room. From sink to island and from range to island, is 43 inches. Island to refrigerator is 55 inches. Attached is an overhead view, and some other design options

• leelee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Make sure the sink and faucet are centered with the window.

If possible I'd also try to add more length top to bottom to the window.

• Matt
    5 years ago
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

Without dimensions is hard to tell but if you are planning on having seating on the island I don't think this would work with so many opening and not enough space.

Also the wall on the left of the range with a single cabinet looks better suited for a deep pantry than a single base and wall cabinet,

in addition, the counter space on the left of the refrigerator seems very tight

I would make the cabinet space larger and have a counter depth refrigerator as well

• leelee
    5 years ago

Also wondering if the island not centered with the doorway or window (large opening to the left) might look "off".

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Can you tell us where these doorways go and if they can be moved at all?

If you really love to cook or entertain,, this is not going to be a good layout at all. You are literally running to each wall of the room to cook a meal. If you are hosting a big party where everyone is hanging out in the kitchen around that island, you will not be able to do anything!

This needs some serious rethinking.... but please some more dimensions and then everyone can really pitch in to help!

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

The layout work areas are too spread out to enjoy using it. You'll be running from fridge to sink then to stove, basically doing circle laps to make a meal. I would rework it.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Have you opened the wall up already?

Is that area A?

where does B go?

can either be changed?

• Grace Reed
    5 years ago
    Can any of the openings be closed? Moved? Wall(s) removed or opened up?
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/artistsharonva

"A" entrance is to dining room "B" is to entryway

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

UPDATE ! another new design

feedback please?

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hoping I get some feedback, this kitchen has been quite the challenge!

• damiarain
    5 years ago

As mentioned above (particularly the great links in Matt's post), we're going to need the dimensions of the space before giving feedback. What are the lengths of the walls labeled A to F? Where do the doors numbered 1 to 5 go?

Along with answers to questions like:

- can windows or doors be moved / added / removed?

- how high off the ground are the existing windows?

- can plumbing be moved?

- could the dining and kitchen spaces be switched?

- what do you hope to gain / improve from the remodel?

- how many people live in the house and generally work in the kitchen together?

typeandrun thanked damiarain
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

- can windows or doors be moved / added / removed? No

- how high off the ground are the existing windows? Window with sink is four inches above counter height, other windows are level with counter

- can plumbing be moved? Yes

- could the dining and kitchen spaces be switched? If dining and kitchen switched my table will not fit

- what do you hope to gain / improve from the remodel? Eliminate separate dining room, open up kitchen and dining to become one space

- how many people live in the house and generally work in the kitchen together? 2

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

doorway 1 outside

doorway 2 laundry room

doorway 3 basement

doorway 4 entry hall

doorway 5 living room

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Sorry to say, but removing more walls only makes your kitchen worse. Much worse. You need the wall between the kitchen and dining room for your range. Or, at least a half wall, with an island range hood.

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@icookinmykitchen, I do not care for pony walls. Some changes to the design I am considering is moving the DW to right of sink, flipping the island so it is longways but not blocking the fridge, and shrinking the size of the cabinets left of stove so they are not as close to the window to the left

• anjiz
    5 years ago
    Typeandrun: have you considered switching the dining room and the kitchen in your last layout? That way you can have an uninterrupted L-shaped kitchen with only doorway “5” interrupting and design may be less challenging!
    typeandrun thanked anjiz
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@anjiz , my dining room table would not fit on right side of kitchen space

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Spacing needed around island

typeandrun thanked artistsharonva
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Dear Typeandrun,

You are making the same mistakes, everyone makes, that ends up with a new kitchen everyone else loves, but one that just doesn’t work for you for as long as you’re in this home.

You have and continue to do a tremendous amount of work to get, well nowhere. Nowhere close to where you want to end up. You have 2 sets of plans, interior elevations, and perspectives and god only knows how many hours wasted chasing your tail.

Your answer to your kitchen design dilemma is so Obvious you don’t see it.

Almost everyone forgets the BASICS! The so obvious stuff that will Never occur to you until AFTER your new kitchen is done and you’re moving into it.

Moving In is the time when You ‘ll Realize all of the Mistakes you’ve made. They were Always there you just didn’t see them. At this point you will have no choice but to ADAPT to what you got and make do.

I know this is NOT what you want to have happen to you!

The Obvious Stuff

You have a kitchen that doesn’t work for you. You know what the performance benefits are and the performance problems are esthetically and functionally.

So you know what benefits you’d like to keep and what problems you need to resolve, fix, or eliminate to get to the world’s perfect kitchen for you and the space you have to work with.

That said, Why didn’t you start there with your existing kitchen layout?

Did you assume, like everyone else that takes on a new kitchen project, that if you design a new kitchen to replace your old one that all of your kitchen benefits would reproduce themselves, and all of your kitchen problems would resolve themselves? You didn’t think about this and it will never occur to you.

If you dig below the surface of what you wrote that’s what you’re asking. Is your new kitchen going to be, in the entire world, the perfect kitchen for you to spend the rest of Your Life Living In for as long as you’re in this home?

It is the right question.

I don’t know the answer and you don’t either yet, because you are filled with Doubt and Uncertainty. Why? Because you are staring the design of your new kitchen journey at the END, and Not at the Beginning.

You’re trying to justify the layout you’ve come up with, because you’ve Started at the END and There is no place else to go. Then after you get some feedback you post another.

So you struggle because deep down you don’t know if you’re doing this right. Working on the same layout trying to make it perfect is chasing your tail, you’re going in circles making very little forward progress. Trying a second just makes you more confused and overwhelmed.

You begin any journey by knowing exactly where you are, deciding where you want to be, and then getting directions. Getting from your existing kitchen to the kitchen your truly want and expect to be living in AFTER you’re done is No Different.

Your Kitchen Design Dilemma is Easy to fix but you’re going to have to start from the beginning.

1. Using your existing kitchen layout analyze it and make two lists, performance benefits you want to keep, and performance problems you want to resolve.

Now you know without doubt what you need to do to get from the layout that you know from personal experience doesn’t work for you to one that does AFTER you have created it.

2. Using your entire first floor plan draw in your existing kitchen layout. Get trace paper and a pencil and rearrange your appliances and cabinetry so that you create every unique combination possible. You should have at least 5 different new kitchen layouts.

You want to do exhaustive space planning so you can see every new kitchen option possible. Almost No One Does This!

The layout you have existing is One, the layout you posted is Two, the second layout you posted is Three...and so on. Keep going AFTER you’re ready to quit until you have exhausted every new kitchen possibility.

Draft them all up to scale and by direct comparison and process of elimination you will discover your perfect plan. Eliminating your doubt because you have seen and compared every working new kitchen layout option.

You can get DIY Help space planning by using this link. https://www.kitchendesignco.com/diy-kitchen-layout-help/

3. With the perfect plan interior elevations and perspectives are easy. Once they are done locate all of your kitchen items. So you know you have the right cabinetry configurations and accessories to store and get all of your items efficiently and easily. So your new kitchen will work intuitively.

You can get DIY Help locating your kitchen items by using this link. https://www.kitchendesignco.com/new-kitchen-doesnt-work/

Final Note

You are NEVER going to redo this kitchen for as long as you’re in this home. I believe you can get a much better layout, and a much better kitchen, dining room, home connection, if you invest your time in space planning. So you can have your existing kitchen Evolve into the kitchen you really want and expect to get to live in.

Don’t get hung up on the wall locations, or the openings, or room names. You are Playing on paper, brainstorming to discover EVERY Unique New Kitchen Possibility. Don’t get hung up on what you Think you Can and Can’t do.

It’s only paper not construction so don’t be AFRAID to make mistakes. That’s How We All Learn. To get to your perfect plan you need to Finally run out of mistakes and what doesn’t work, so you can discover what does.

Hope this has been helpful.

Joe Brandao

Kitchen Design Company

typeandrun thanked User
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

There's too much space between work areas. If not moving walls then move the cabinets closer to each other.

• User
    5 years ago

The idea of the peninsula between the kitchen and dining room is the best one presented so far. But you'd be well advised to just leave things well enough alone if you can't hire a good Kitchen Designer to plan the redo for you.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

The 2nd layout posted by OP is better than the first minus the island but the question to ask is will you be enjoying cooking running to both sides of room to make a meal?

I suggest a long skinny table in between that does not block a run to fridge before committing to a permanent island in middle. That way it can be removed if it gets in the way of cooking flow. Can always get the island later.

I also agree with the peninsula others have mentioned.

or a long Island in middle, like I posted previously.

I would not put dishwasher right next to the oven, instead right side of sink.