Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hola_0069

wall decor and styling - modern farmhouse style

hola_0069
5 years ago

hello! Thank you for everyones help so far, this is where i am at...

Going for a modern farmhouse style. We are painting our walls off white (cloud white) to brighten up the space aswell as all new lighting (i will post pictures in comments)

Since it is a fresh start i want to take down all my current wall decor and start fresh and I need help on what to put where (love my wooden family photo but not sure they work over buffet same with family picture next to t.v.) along with other suggestions?

-putting up white semi sheer curtains with a oil rubbed bronze rod on dining and livingroom window.

-changing entryway mirror to the smaller arch one with shelf a good idea?

-buffet holds toys:1 and 4 year olds play area on grey rug

-only family tv/hangout area (that why there is a oversized sectional and tv stand/tv in this space)

want it to look styled and not like i just through up things on the walls, please help

Comments (9)

• hola_0069
    Original Author
    5 years ago

more photos and new lighting

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Are the walls in your photos the old color? My kitchen cabinets are BM Cloud White and they are a soft creamy white.

• Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

Your sideboard is great and is nicely styled. It really can only support two of the wooden family photos above it, though. So, I'd try that first.

The living area doesn't appear to have any lights. So, I'd opt for floor lamp to the right of the TV.

Rather than the fixtures you've chosen for the foyer and island, consider glass. I think the three you've chosen might be a little too much of the same and a little more input than the space can handle - with all of the lines, scroll work and patterning. The glass is simple and will fall into the background so that your chandelier can really stand out as special.

I like the arch mirror you have, but am afraid it's too large for that spot. You could consider some art there, instead. The advantage to having art there is that you'll have some color for accenting, should you choose.

Here are some glass lighting options to consider. The art is there to show scale and how you can pull color from it for accessories.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I agree with everything Manon said except for the mirror/art next to the door. Either leave that wall bare or hang a couple of frames stacked one on top of the other that are no more than about 2/3 the width of the piece Manon shows.

• hola_0069
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks guys

-we have 4 pot lights over the family room

-I put the mirror by the door to create that larger space illusion ha ha since you walk right into the livingroom and we needed a entree table i did the shelf and mirror combo so we yave somewhere to put our keys/mail... not sure what other options are if it is just art pieces (of course i will hang the mirror higher and the walls will be the cloud white but you get a idea in the photo)

-open to other ideas would work on the walls next to the tv, above buffet or in the dining area?

• hola_0069
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Beth you are AMAZING!!! yes I love these all! so cosy and inviting. I am not one for color so pillows mirrors ect i can switch out easy would be a great idea!

these are my first inspiration photos and i fell inlove with the chandelier.

The current wall color is very dark, with all the windows open and lights on in the day it is still dark. so i was hoping for a creamy off white so the bright white blinds, trim still stand out. The painter's arrove tomorrow morning, will cloud white not give me that feel?

• fissfiss
    5 years ago
    Floor lamps are tricky with the monster truck play crowd...they tend to be unstable and lethal.....
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

have you tried a sample pot of Cloud White on your walls? I see the tiny patch you painted, but is that all you did?

what if you painted Cloud white around one of those windows or doors to get an idea of how it will look?

do you like gray? SW Crushed Ice is a very very light, neutral, true gray tone. you may like that one.

Or BM Pale Oak is super popular and a great neutral. It's lighter than what you have now.

Look at some of these others.