Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samrita_singh9

rethinking the curtains

Samrita Singh
5 years ago
I am not too sure about the curtains in the dining room. Should they be a solid color instead of the print here?

Comments (13)

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I would say yes to solid color curtains.

• shecmar
    5 years ago
    I like the curtains but I agree with others. They are overpowering.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I agree with everything Jan said. You have done everything with a very heavy hand and there's a bit too much reflection for the room. I would change out the mirrors for art. Can you turn the table to give yourself more space on each side of the table?

I would have selected lighting in the silver metal but with a thinner profile or such a small space, and no glass because that's just another surface to have to clean.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    5 years ago

The curtains are too much for the room. It also is distracting that they do not hang equally on both sides of the windows. Either pull the table on that wall forward so the curtains can hang behind it or just use a curtain panel on the outside of each of the two windows and forego the other two panels. Maybe designers can recommend something more on trend today, but that would drive me crazy.

The lighting over the table is out of scale for the room and much too heavy in appearance.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

the more acreage of fabric, the more subtle patterns work. as you have 3 windows, you'd do better to tone them down. agree on choosing a window treatment that works with the console. if it can't be pulled forward, panels arent going to work.

• RTHawk
    5 years ago

I have the same curtains in my family room so I like them. I do agree with others that they don't work in your room. I think they are a bit casual compared to the more formal look of your dining room

• lshack17
    5 years ago

Samrita, I think you may have done a heavy pattern on the curtains because your rug is more solid so you were looking to balance that? I agree the pattern you chose probably isn't the right choice and too casual. What about a color block velvet? Not too busy and has a slight contrast with a more formal fabric. You could also do black and white or navy and white. Also agree that you should pull the table out and let the drapes hang evenly on both sides.

prima velvet color block roomdarkening-wp-ivory/taupe-pair-38x84 · More Info

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    I like the curtains fine. Pull the console out from the wall so the panels can hang properly, take away the lamp in the corner. The chairs and table are making the room seem cluttered. You probably need one or the other. If you like the chairs, you need a lighter table, maybe glass top, metal legs. If the table stays, lucite ghost chairs would be awesome.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

They look busy for me.

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    5 years ago

We don't mind the curtains by themselves, but here they are a bit much. Why not try some neutral curtains?

Morningside Scandinavian Eclectic Home · More Info

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The pattern of the curtains dominate. The pattern is fine but IMO you should allow your fabulous chairs and lighting be the stars of the show. Right now they are missed because of the curtains. I agree with the others. A solid color would work better.

• User
    5 years ago
    There’s nothing wrong with having patterned curtains it’s just the scale of it, it should be of a smaller to medium scale
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!