Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venetta73

what to look for/avoid in a San Gabriel Granite Slab?

venetta73
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

So, for a variety of reasons, my fabricator (they also own their stone yard) is going to be replacing the San Gabriel Black granite countertop on my island. The biggest reasons were inexplicable -- to me or them -- stains and hazing that appeared 5 months post installation that neither they nor I could remove. The countertop was also installed with numerous pits (small ones, granted) that had to be filled post-installation. I know that this is normal for a stone with a lot of small mica inclusions, but was not thrilled about that either.

I am very happy that they are replacing the countertop, but I will have to go to the stone yard to choose another granite slab. What should I look for/avoid? The first time around, I didn't even know what I was looking at/doing, which might have contributed to the issues with my granite.

Being clueless, I was mostly making sure that the granite matches the existing San Gabriel, that I had on the perimeter of the kitchen, which had been there for 5 years now (it came with the house). We did some work: opened up the kitchen and added a painted island in an otherwise maple kitchen; we also added a white and black hex mosaic floor, so the granite on the island has to match the existing one, on the perimeter -- choosing a different granite is not an option with the rest of the kitchen. Plus, the San Gabriel that that we have had for 5 years, I love: never resealed it, no need for that; doesn't stain, has no pits or refilled areas; the mica inclusions have never come off.

So, please help educate me on how to choose a good slab.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (8)

• venetta73
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, forgot one thing: the granite yard has only one slab of San Gabriel left. If it does not work/has issues (and I mean in terms of the integrity of the slab, quality, etc; not aesthetics -- this is not a busy granite and I know that visually it will work), is it reasonable to ask them to purchase another slab of San Gabriel Black from a different place? I have to use San Gabriel and I originally chose this stone yard and fabricator because they had it.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

Me, I wouldn’t replace the island. I’d remove the sealant with acetone and see how it looks. You can find instructions how to do this on the internet. App,y it carefully and sparingly, with gloves, and the windows open.

• venetta73
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, M Miller! This is so very helpful!!!

You are right about granite slabs of the same granite (San Gabriel black) not matching: even now, I can see how the granite on the island, installed and purchased in May 2018 is different than the perimeter, installed sometime in 2012: the perimeter San Gabriel has more yellowish/ochre specks (less sparkle in general) and the island granite has more mica/dark grey specks (more reflective silvery flakes), and that is OK with me. (You have to stick your nose directly into it and really stare to notice any difference). I was more concerned about the pitting: should i worry or not? Or, as far as they fill the pits properly, it is OK? I have developed quite the discerning eye (if i say so myself), having had to identify the granite I had myself and then hunt down a slab...so, I can see the -- I think nicely filled areas on the island -- but I see no signs of filled pits anywhere on the perimeter...so, should I worry about pits or not?

I have no idea whether or not the perimeter had been sealed or not before/at installation (it came with the house)...however, should I not re-seal it? While there are no visible stains, I did the water test yesterday (on the perimeter) and there is a water stain that disappears after it dries up and sometimes when I wet it to wipe clean I see little spots that get polished away as I clean it...so I thought this is a sign that I have to reseal. To reseal or not?

Thank you!

• venetta73
    Original Author
    5 years ago

About removing the sealer with acetone: I tried it myself; used the steel wool and followed the stone yard instructions, etc: no effect. The stone yard sent their own crew: same 0 effect. Besides the haze there are two weird milky looking stains -- think 0 % milk somehow penetrating the polished surface of the granite; I know that it is probably not possible, but the stain hasn't come out with anything we have tried, me or the installer -- the stains are small, but bug me and seem to be here to stay. I am beyond surprised by these issues myself, having lived with the same granite on the perimeter for 5 years and seeing no issues whatsoever.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

“To reseal or not?”

In answer to your question, I would not seal it. San Gabriel has a very low absorption rate, similar to Absolute Black’s. It does not need sealing. I wrote above a long paragraph on exactly the issue with sealing this stone, and think that your perimeter counters look good because they were never sealed. So I am surprised you asked this question.

Your statement “there is a water stain that disappears after it dries up and sometimes when I wet it to wipe clean I see little spots that get polished away as I clean it...” I do not understand what you are saying, I’m sorry. If the water stain disappears after it dries up - what then is the issue? If a spot is polished away when you clean it, what more are you looking for, what else do you want it to do?

venetta73 thanked M Miller
  • venetta73
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you... I think I have read too much on the water tests, etc. I meant that if you leave a drop of water (small puddle) on the counter for let's say, 15 min or so, it will leave a water stain that is, of course, polished away if you rub rigorously with a rag. I have been happy with my granite on the perimeter... I guess it is just that after the new installation, I was told that I should also reseal the perimeter periodically, which, based on your very careful and professional explanation, is a mistake. So, I will not do it. Too much reading will make you crazy; I have lived in ignorance for 5 years and been quite happy that way. :)

• venetta73
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have gotten some excellent advice here but was wondering of others have more suggestions for what to look for or avoid, quality-wise. (San Gabirel is a pretty uniform granite without movement, so I am not worried about it in terms of aesthetics). Thank you!