Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Christmas Dolls

User
5 years ago

We usually don't get the grands toys at Christmas -- they have way too many and we don't need to add to them. But this year is different . . .

The oldest (who's five) is getting her mother's My Friend Mandy doll from the 70s. I made all the outfits this fall for the doll and also the "quilt" -- in her favorite colors of pink and purple.

The youngest (who's three) is getting her Mother's My Baby Beth which was DD's FIRST doll -- given to her for her second Christmas (41 years ago). The clothes in front I MADE in 1977 for Beth! the others were garage sale finds that fit the doll. And the blanket was made 41 years ago too -- it sort of matched DD's bedding.

Comments (25)

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

How precious! They will be cherished!

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Sweet and very thoughtful gift!

• happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

The girls will be tickled and I think your daughter will be too.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

How delightful!

• Gargamel
    5 years ago

It's so nice when things that were loved and played with can be passed down and used by another generation. Is that a Bunting (upper right blue item) in the second picture?

User thanked Gargamel
  • Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

I'm filing this away. I have childhood dolls that I will pass along to grandaughter(s). Never occurred to me to make outfits too....what a wonderful idea! Great job Martha.

User thanked Joaniepoanie
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Fabulous!! Back in the day my mother made scads of Barbie and baby doll clothes as we grew. Dad made beds and cradles. I made one American Girl Doll, dress, for a friend, and it was a PITB so I am in awe of your gift and talent!!! Blessed little girls!!! I have the doll beds my father made for my daughters, mom made the bedding. I am hoping one day to pass them on. Over 30 years ago my parents asked us to give away the dolls, clothes, beds they made for my two sisters and me. We knew a young family who needed Christmas presents. Today I have a suitcase with doll and clothes waiting but I made none of them!! LOL

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

gargamel -- it is!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Joanie -- I never thought dolls had enough clothes when I was little -- they came in AN outfit and that was about it! So I made sure my DD's dolls had clothes!

• Gargamel
    5 years ago

I've got all my original Barbie stuff from the very early '60's which I've saved to pass along to a grandaughter. But I had 3 boys and they so far only have boys!

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

What precious gifts for your two DGD's!

• Gargamel
    5 years ago

My mum made all sorts of beautiful clothes for my sisters' and my dolls...so what I did was take pictures of them all and had a little book made of them and gave a book to each of my sisters (and kept one for me of course!)

• Gargamel
    5 years ago

It is amazing DLM and Martha what these pictures bring back in memories. The picture of the Bunting reminded me of the Buntings my mother sewed for my first born son (who is now 30)

User thanked Gargamel
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

Oh that is so neat. What a great idea/ I bet your DD will love it as well. Lots of memories in those pictures.

• teeda
    5 years ago

Lucky, lucky little girls. Those dolls and clothing are precious!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

that is so sweet!

• roarah
    5 years ago

How preciously thoughtful! Happy Christmas!

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

How wonderful and thoughtful! Love the outfits :)

(hi roarah!)

• Renovator Girl
    5 years ago

Martha, my inner 6-year-old is drooling! I too had dolls with only one outfit!

Gargamel--my in-laws are in the same spot: lots of heirloom girl toys but no girl grandkids (or boys who would be interested). They are donating the toys to their grandchildren's school auctions. Win-win: they are donating to programs at their grandchildren's schools AND the gorgeous toys go to children who will appreciate them.

• neetsiepie
    5 years ago

What a wonderful gift. I love this

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A report back . . . both girls loved the dolls! (And they were the only dolls they received). DD remembered Beth (the baby doll) but didn't remember Mandy but she played more with Beth. In looking at pictures, I made the clothes for the baby doll Beth before Christmas (and it was DD's SECOND Christmas -- a month before her second birthday) for there are pictures of her with the other outfits at Christmastime. I thought I made them after.

The oldest (who got Mandy) put it away and told me that it was a special doll (which made me cry).

I did as DH suggested and put the doll and the blanket in the carrying case and then put all of the clothes in another box to open. That was the right thing to do because they could ooh and aah over the doll and not be overwhelmed by "stuff"!

And later, yes, we did play with them. They loved to put the clothes on the dolls.

DD was touched that I had saved them and gifted them to her girls.

And then when I got out a pie plate to make my Christmas pie, I realized that I had my husband's mother's pie plates (she always brought the pies to holiday gatherings and when she passed I took them). I asked DD if she wanted the pie plates and without hesitation she said yes . . . then she paused and asked if I had others and I assured her I did (and I do but I would have said I do even if I didn't).

So she got to take some memories at home as well!

• User
    5 years ago

So very precious! What an absolutely delightful gift you gave your grands!

• denali2007
    5 years ago

Great gifts. My daughter had a Mandy doll also. My daughter cut the dolls's hair and told me not to worry it would grow back.

User thanked denali2007
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mandy was a great doll -- sort of a pre-American girl doll.