Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmt1022

Please help me finish my living room.

Lynda
5 years ago

I am looking for help in how to complete this room - rug, accent chairs, art over fireplace, bookcase decor, etc. This is a newly completed home, so will not be changing the fireplace or built-ins.

The couch and tables were also just purchased, and I have the rose/blush chair already purchased, but hasn't been delivered yet.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (32)

• Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is a diagram of what I am thinking for a layout - so, would need 2 accent chairs (do I do a solid color or pattern?) and an 8x10 rug.

• seregiel
    5 years ago
    I’m not able to be helpful too much from my phone but how is your house used? Do you have pets or kids? (could change what kind of rugs and fabric people might suggest) Do you have a significant other that has color preferences you’d like to inject along with the pink? Is there anything that makes you insanely happy or you think your home is lacking? (Glam, a basket full of blankets, a bar cart, a sculpture in storage?)
    Lynda thanked seregiel
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi seregiel. This room will be used for me to read in or when we have company and are visiting. The tv will rarely be used as we have another room where we watch tv. That room also has a dry bar, so no need for a bar cart here. We do have pets, but the dog does not get on the furniture.

I love greens, blush/rose, dark taupes and earth tones. I like "rustic elegant" if there is such a thing... where the furniture looks comfortable but elegant too?

• seregiel
    5 years ago
    Rug - I’d definitely do with one that matches your dog in tone, or has a pattern. Wool, nylon or polyester with cut pile so nails aren’t catching. If it’s for you to get comfy, I think you need a foot stool for your pink chair.
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    Keep in mind you should have one flat surface for each seating position.
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flat surface?

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    Flat surface as in tables, ottomans,
    Lynda thanked Rachel Lee
  • Serena Butler
    5 years ago

PS....I think your proposed furniture layout is great! I'd add an ottoman for the larger chair, an end table for the other end of sofa, a small table for in between the pair of chairs, and a small table beside the larger chair. Doesn't have to be big, just large enough to set a drink and/or book on. Hopefully you have a floor outlet under your sofa so you can run cords for end table lamps under there.

Lynda thanked Serena Butler
  • cdodge6
    5 years ago
    Pretty house! I have a couple ideas for you. If you have enough room to move your couch forward, a long table behind your couch would give you another flat surface to bring in decorations and add a splash of color. It will also protect the back of your white couch from dirty hands and serve as a second table for snacks at a party! I would choose two little tub chairs with a tiny round table between them opposite your pink chair. I would go with a big bold fabric pattern on them with a splash of pink. This may also give you your second accent color depending on the fabric you find. Then find a muted rug to tie it all together. If you want more sitting area a rustic low wood bench in front of the fireplace might be fun and give you that rustic touch you like! Good luck!
    Lynda thanked cdodge6
  • PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    5 years ago

You seem to have a very muted color scheme thus far. Your layout looks good, but if you order a second blush chair then you can easily do two of the blush chairs on one side and then two patterned chairs on the other. We proposed that you look into rugs with some blush or pink colors in them since you already have the chair on the way. We would also look for artwork with some blush and perhaps some gold. It might be really lovely to see some gold accents around with those colors. Here are just a few of ours designs that might help with some light, pink, and muted color schemes.

Lisgar · More Info

Absolute Condo · More Info

High-End Open Concept Interior Design · More Info

Striking Mississauga Basement & Living Room Remodel · More Info

Lynda thanked Nicola Interiors
  • PRO
    Mandeville Canyon Designs
    5 years ago

Hi Lynda,

I love the way you have kept the home in a neutral palette so that adding color will be a snap. I agree that you should anchor the room with a great rug and the rest will be easier. We tend to go with big colorful rugs that give you lots of options to pull from. Here are a few we love from Company C. They will help pull in the blush in from the chair as well as the green/grey color of the walls. These are all 100% wool and some are loop, so if you have energetic pets with claws, you may want to think indoor/outdoor. Not as warm and fuzzy but high traffic friendly.

Stepping Stones

Savannah

Peteluma

They have great coordinating pillows as well.

One of the artists trending in our studio now is Daniel Jones-

https://www.danieljonesphotography.com/

With these rugs I might suggest something like this from him-

Fall Bokeh-

or

Approaching Blue Hour-

Remember to have fun and create a design that brings you Joy!

Lynda thanked Mandeville Canyon Designs
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    A 10x12 rug would be more appropriate. Lighting at the back of the top shelf will relieve/eliminate the gloom. Lamp lighting is more flattering than overhead lighting. Each seat should be near a convenient place to set something down. Large art over the fireplace could even be a large canvas print of one of your own photos (easily done on line).
    Lynda thanked jbtanyderi
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    A 12’x18’ area rug would be about the right size for your large room. Houzz has several of that size with some pink in them for you to see online and get some ideas. Then go to the biggest rug store in your area to see some more in person. A big rug is an investment. That pink chair is beautiful and a rug with a little bit of pink in it would be great. Oriental style rugs come in many background colors, and if you look closely at them, you will probably find some pink in the multicolor border, too.
    Lynda thanked felizlady
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone.

The room size is 18 x 24, but with the bookcases/hearth and necessary walkways, there is only 11 ft from the edge of the hearth to the back of the couch. There is a 4 1/2 ft walkway from back of couch to back of island chairs.

If take the rug to just under the front legs, I would need a 8 x 10 correct?

A 10 x 12 would put the rug right to the back of the couch.

I was thinking maybe this rug or something similar might work - thoughts? It's hard to tell on a monitor, but it looks like the lighter color might blend well with the chair?

• Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the taped out 8 x 10

• Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And a 10 x 12

This view is from the hallway/walkway

• Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If the above rug works, they do make it in a 9'3" x 13, so it would bring it to about the middle under the couch (vs. to the very edge of the back for the 10 fx 12). It adds $500+ to the cost of the rug, though. Hmmm. But, I definitely don't want to get a rug that will look too small. Thoughts?

• NancyD
    5 years ago
    That is a beautiful rug and its colors might work perfectly, but we don’t really look at rugs straight on as you’re showing it in the photo. What does the rug look like flat and from the angle you’ll see it most often? Does that peach/blush color come through on the pink side or more on the brown side? That could make a difference. But, again, I love the pattern and style of the rug and think it will be a stunning contrast to the other elements in your room.
    Lynda thanked NancyD
  • Sara
    5 years ago
    Lynda,
    Can I ask you what kind of floors you have? I really like the color!
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Sara - thanks. The floor is a porcelain tile - Tesoro Mythos. I LOVE them and am so happy I decided to go with tile vs hardwood. I had wood in my home in SC, and while it was beautiful, I constantly worried about them. This home is in Florida and the tile just works so much better for me - no longer any worries about the dogs or my husband :-)

• Serena Butler
    5 years ago

Your floors are amazing!!!! That's the most realistic-looking wood-look tile I've seen!

The rug appears to work perfectly. Have you seen it in person or are these online images? Maybe you can order a swatch if it's the latter. If it's a rug you've found locally, take a chair cushion or armrest cover and see how they work together.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Serena - thank you! I agree. I’ve had many visitors comment that they love my “wood floors.”
    I haven’t seen the rug in person, but I just ordered the smallest size - that way I can see the colors and decide. If it doesn’t work, it’ll be much easier to return then a large rug.
  • connie912
    5 years ago
    The rose/blush chair and rugs you have posted are simply beautiful. I would encourage you to buy a second chair. Having a pair always gives a room a “pulled together” look.
    If you have to buy a rug on line and no samples are available, order the smallest size first for quality and color assurance.
    Lynda thanked connie912
  • Jen B
    5 years ago
    I love everything you have chosen so far. The rug looks so pretty. Can’t wait to see it come together. Please post more pics when it comes in. Congrats your house look gorgeous!
    Lynda thanked Jen B
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@connie - So, you think I should buy a second rose/blush chair? I had intended to buy 2 smaller accent chairs that would go on the other side of the rose chair. Do you think that would work, or should I just purchase another rose chair and have it flank the fireplace?

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    How about task lighting e.g. reading lamp or two next to chairs you use for reading. Love your home
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@bikertoni - Thanks! would you have any suggestions for lamps? I have the one floor lamp there that I figured I would put next to the rose chair, but wasn't sure what I should on the end table?

• connie912
    5 years ago
    I like the idea but of having a pair of chairs that flank the fireplace. It will look great!
    Lynda thanked connie912
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    I would definitely push the sofa closer to the fireplace ...not much but ...make some room for a long table behind the sofa ..it will be a great look for a large vase or bowl and some books and could help and double as a buffet table ..should you need it . It's a great looking house/ living room ! You seem to have all the right ideas ...just needs a little shuffle of the furniture into position . And yes, keep it in neutral colors ..it's very elegant and timeless ! Color accent only with rug ...flowers ...and books ... , lovely !
  • Lynda
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @silvia
    So, do you think I need one or 2 more chairs (other than the rose chair)?
    And, if I push in couch, would I need a 8 x 10 rug or the 9 x 12?