Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knaijaqueen

Please help design! Can I Turn This Into a Large Walk In Shower?

knaijaqueen
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm looking to remodel our master bathroom and I'm wondering if it would be weird to have an extremely large walk in shower with a large window? There is currently a large jacuzzi bathtub which we intend to remove and just extend the shower to the end of the window. There is no option to remove the window.

Would it be strange to extend the shower all the way to sink? I was thinking we could do a pony wall with a glass panel to separate the shower from the sink. Suggestions or recommendations?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Building Quality Homes, LLC
    5 years ago

I like the idea; pony wall, and enclosing it in all frame-less clear glass, may even add a small corner bench extruding from the pony wall and existing wall.

• knaijaqueen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was also thinking of using the bottom half of the window as the shower niche since their is no way to remove it. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Building Quality Homes, LLC
    5 years ago

For a niche, it might be a little low for my liking, especially since window framing normally takes up a few inches inside the wall around the perimeter, It's hard to determine where the niche would end up being without know how the window was installed.

• User
    5 years ago

Remember the window will likely need a complete redo to be waterproof and within a shower.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Turning all that area into a huge shower seems like an awfully expensive way to just fill space. And to end up with what will be a big chilly shower. Even more so because of the large room/ high ceilings/ cfm requirements of exhaust fan. The only good reason that would justify it would be if you need something like wheelchair access.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Why don't you DRAW the entire bath with all dimensions added to the drawing. Include all entry exit points and those dimensions. Add also, the dimension of window and distance from each wall.

There may be other solutions to an improved layout. Without that information via a drawing? Nobody can say.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Am always concerned about having a window in a shower especially one as large as yours and with such a low sill. Am certain the glazing (glass) will have to be tempered also which in itself is not a huge deal.

• knaijaqueen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments! I do know that the window would have to be waterproofed to be within a shower, which I'm fine with. We're just not able to remove it so I have to work with it. I've added a makeshift drawing of the bathroom for a better reference. I've also thought about knocking out the wall separating the toilet and shower and switching the placement of the toilet with the shower. The water closet also has a window so there's no avoiding windows in any scenario.

I've also added a pic of the other side of the bathroom. Any more ideas?

• T P
    5 years ago
    We kept our window in our large walk in shower and we loved it. Tile surrounded the window and was used as casing to waterproof it. I used the window well for plants.
  • User
    5 years ago

Tile is not waterproof. Encasing a window in tile is a quick way to rot out a wall. Especially with plants fitting there dribbling even more water into the wall.

If that is a wood window, it has to be replaced with fiberglass or vinyl. With SAFETY GLASS that will not cut you into a thousand lives after a slip and fall.

There is no way to do what you wan without removing and replacing that window. That can be done. With enough budget. Add 10K to your 50K project.

• knaijaqueen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Jan Moyer: Thanks for your feedback! The toilet is currently in a water closet which is next to where the shower currently is. The toilet is also under a window in the water closet. So if I change the layout as you have drawn above, there will still be a window in the shower. The picture I drew is exactly how the bathroom is currently laid out. Will it be weird to have a pony wall and glass separating the vanity and the toilet? I thought it might create a bad sight line.

@GreenDesigns: The window above the tub is already fiberglass. It isn't wood.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

You need an ACCURATE drawing. Actually, you need a designer on your site. And a willingness to also consider adjacent spaces for which we have no information.

You are looking at a 60 K gut. Minimum. To get a bath you really want : )

• Jean L
    5 years ago

What about removing the tub and expanding the shower to meet up with the window? You could use the space between the shower and the counter for a nice bench or something to put your plants on. Just an idea....

knaijaqueen thanked Jean L
  • Melanie Magisos
    5 years ago
    My husband and I worked with a designer to do something similar to what you’re thinking of, replacing a small shower and garden tub with a large shower. We also had a large window over the tub that was waterproofed and incorporated into the new shower. The shower fixtures, and a new niche for holding bottles, are far enough away from the window that I don’t anticipate water damage will be a problem. It helps that the shower is used by two adults and we live in a dry climate. The window looks out onto an atrium, so privacy isn’t a concern, but we did eventually add a vinyl roll-up blind for light control in the adjacent bedroom. The resulting shower is large enough to dry oneself at the other end under an infrared lamp. We are very happy with the results.

Before and after photos are attached.
    knaijaqueen thanked Melanie Magisos
  • knaijaqueen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Melanie, thank you for sharing pics of how it can be done. While I can understand a large window isn't ideal for some, I'm really not opposed to having one especially since even if I change the layout, there will be a window in the shower no matter what.

@ Jan Moyer, a friend of mine knows how to create a more accurate drawing so I'll try and get him to do so and post here.

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

You've got a large bathroom and a small drop in tub might be nice to keep.

Here are a couple ideas which require being able to move the toilet 90 degrees.

The shower width would be dependent on where the door to the closet is or whether it could be moved.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

My thought was along the same line as Karenseb

I am assuming that the 1'5" Linen closet is not a part of the 8ft toilet room wall.

Get yourself a good designer to explore all your options

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 years ago

I was going to suggest something along the lines of what Jean L suggested. In your picture it appears that the window is a foot from the edge of the shower? Pull the shower all the way to the right that you can and make it deeper. Area where tub was becomes a dressing area with bench, scale, etc

• kariyava
    5 years ago

@Melanie Magisos I really like your shower design -- do you mind sharing the dimensions of your new shower and whether you get cold in there?

• Melanie Magisos
    5 years ago

@kariyava, our shower is about 45" x 99". We don't get cold, but we do live in a warm, dry climate. We have an infrared heater installed in the ceiling at the far end of the shower in what we use as the drying area.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

@Melanie Magisos Thank you so much! I live in a similar climate, with a similar bathroom layout, so this might work for me. Do you mind sharing what kind of heater you used?

• knaijaqueen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ RNmomof2 zone 5, in reality, the end of the shower is currently only about 6 inches from the edge of the window. I really like @Melanie Magisos idea of removing the bathtub, extending the shower and using the remainder as a drying area.

@Melanie, I'd like to know what kind of heater you used as well.

• Melanie Magisos
    5 years ago

The heater we used is a simple two-bulb model. It might be this or something similar: https://www.broan.com/Bath-Vent-Fan/Fans-with-Lights/Bulb-Heaters-and-Heater-Fans/164. Before our remodel the heater was installed in the vaulted ceiling in the room. It was pretty useless way up there, but it works well installed in the 8' ceiling over the shower.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

Thank you so much!