Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Do you like purple roses? Check out the gallicas!

perennialfan275
5 years ago

Even though my yard does not have ideal conditions for growing roses, I still love to drool over online catalogues occasionally. Anyways, I've heard people talk about gallica roses here in the past, but I didn't really know much about them until recently. After googling gallica roses, I was surprised to learn that there are actually quite a few of them, and some of them have been around for a pretty long time. One particular rose that I love (Cardinal de Richelieu) has been around since 1847. I used to think that Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone were the only purple out there, but I've seen several other purple gallicas like Tuscany, Tuscany Superb, The Bishop, and Hippolyte. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone were bred from these purple gallicas. Anyways, do check them out. Most of them seem to be fairly hardy (most of the ones I've looked at are hardy to zone 4 at least) so that is always good.

Comments (14)

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

The only down side is Gallicas are once bloomers. Many are not fragrant at all. I always allowed a few spaces for them because of that color and their hardiness and I can't smell anything anyway. But they are generally large plants and most gardeners don't want or have room for a large green shrub the rest of the summer. My Cardinale de Richelieu is an absolute JB magnet, the leaves having been totally eaten to lace by the very first bugs.

• User
    5 years ago

For how long do they bloom? A once-bloomer with a long period of bloom is, to me, as good as a repeat bloomer, but I want to avoid roses that have only one, very short, flowering.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

I also don’t mind once blooming but I do need fragrance. What are the best “true” purple with scent, do ya think?

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

My favorite roses! Love Gallica's! My bloom isn't as long as someone with cool spring temperatures, but it's long enough for me to grow more gallicas and hybrid chinas then anything else. I am in love with them..more than any roses I have. I have one tea, that finally prompted me to try some more, but I've had so many die. And alit of chinas die. I have really started liking polyantha's too :)

Take a look at my spring thread from last year on the Antique forum. It has some on it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/spring-dsvw-vd~5253809

There is a link for it. Enjoy!

• perennialfan275
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alana the pics in your thread are gorgeous (and so is your kitty)! Glad they are doing well for you.

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

This is not a Gallica but a hybrid Setigera and is purple.. Erinnerung an Brod is my favourite purple OGR. Once blooming but loads flowers and a strong fragrance.

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

OK Where is the other photo. I am losing patience with Houzz!!

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

How about Belle de Crecy. It is a shaded purple and a small bush.

Then there is this other smaller Gallica. One always has room for a small rose. Crams Picote

It depends on the soil but Rose du Maitre d' Ecole, goes more purple.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Rose du Maitre d' Ecole is one I missed out with palitine this year. I had to wait on money and by the time it came, they were sold out :( ...So will have to try again next year!

Glad you enjoyed the photos perennialfan!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Erinnerung an Brod is going on my list to research. That looks beautiful!

• mariannese
    5 years ago

lkayetwvz5, I am surprised that you do not find gallicas fragrant. I know that different noses react differently to scent. I grow 36 varieties and they are all well-scented. Their scent is different from the damasks with their sweet and powdery scent and different again from the moderns that often have a hint of lemon and other fruits, pepper and other spices, etc. Some Austin roses smell of musk, not a smell I like. Many but not all of my gallicas are purple. One favourite is Cosimo Ridolfi:

But there are purple roses in other classes, too. L'Éveque and Tour de Malakoff are two purple centifolias.

• mariannese
    5 years ago

I meant myrrh scent, not musk!

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Love your Cosimo Ridolfi mariannese!