Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hplucinski927

kitchen Layout/organization/work zones

Heather Plu
5 years ago

Hi there, long time lurker, inspired by many posts to give the kitchen a facial (paint, flooring, hardware, granite, nothing structural. DIYers we had to have a stopping point somewhere on budget) I'm stuck however how to utilize the space. Last picture is the only picture I have the before and I won't lie, if I could go back, I would do tile (hard wood look) instead of hard wood, oh hindsight's 20/20 :)

We have a medium sized mudroom/laundry room, so the broom closet next to the fridge was never intended to be used as a broom closet (currently as food pantry) and the cabinet hutch on the opposite wall leads to the dining room, has ridiculous tiny shelves that flip with any type of weight (changed brackets per Kraftmaid and HomeDepot specifications) is placed on them, no luck, lost a set of crystal flutes from the 1800s. We are thinking of either adding drawers for food or plates or just changing to different shelving all together, deciding factor being on how this flow evolves, which I honestly cant figure out now. In the upper part of the hutch, DH added vertical shelves, so currently we have cutting boards, baking sheets, platters, long awkward stuff in there.

I do use the sink counter for prep,(its the only sink and trash) so I was aiming for non traffic jams and storing plates in drawers or the hutch cause a few bumps, despite the convenient location to the DW. The Behemoth rolling cart came with the house, DH had granite installed and it does have pull out shelves, however despite any angles, if in the center of the kitchen the aisles are always tight and anywhere 27-30" I could always move it to the other side of closet pantry for coffee, but DH feels it's too bulky.

My main concerns should I move prep by the fridge and oven? Eventually add a prep sink down the road? Keep the large closet as food storage? or reverse things and keep prepping by the sink and bring the food over to the hutch? I forgot to mention I have a large china/sterling collection(s) that I um inherited which is unusual for a millennial to appreciate in addition to our everyday plastic cups that I can't seem to wean anyone off of, ha. I need to make note our dining room is too small for any type or buffet, crendenza or c hina cabinet so I was hoping to utilize one of these storage options as such. Im also sorry for the mess, just wanted to snap up some photos real quick, I've been trying to move stuff around with no success.

another thought- am the only one that doesn't like spice pull outs? The one by the oven, I'm thinking of either chefs drawer or oils (currently its both) but the little guy next to the cabinet hutch, I've tried spices and I'm not sure if hooked on phonics didn't work for sideways reading, because I grew up with a spice drawer, or the sheer fact they jump out each time I've stored them in there..
thank you!

Comments (15)

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    Love the space. I chose similar finishes for my new build to be done in a few weeks. Its fun to see them altogether. Can you nix the island? It is gorgeous, but it cramps the space.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I had a kitchen very similar to this. Nice job with your upgrades. Watch what spices you use the most. Find a cute round turntable. But those 4-5 things you use all the time in matching containers on the counter to the side of the range top. Get some good closet organizing for that closet. Then find a narrow cabinet to set near table to help store some china etc. You can find 10” deep ones I think your can find some space for. I will hunt for some options for you.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here is nice little console about 10” deep around 36” wide. From Ballards. You would be surprised how much stuff this little cabinet can hold and help with storage. And here are a couple spice devices for often used spices etc.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The cabinet could sit behind the sofa and move chairs to angled “X” shape to make a bit more room for chair push back.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Guess I am a bit confused. You have done the upgrade in the first 3 pics right?
  • Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hansen - thank you, I'm on the fence about rolling the cart out.... it doesn't fit in the closet which is a bummer. You're right about how it cramps the space - and if I decide to store dishes by the oven for plating up vs by the dishwasher, the only benefit there is I have a landing space & extra calories burned, Haha! I was just trying to think of some way to utilize it.
  • Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Flo, thank you and yes, the 3 pictures are the after, I should've clarified.

I'll grab some more photos soon.. the cart is 32x27 do you think that could still work with your idea?

I'll check into those organizers, I have 2 sets of OXOs for food currently, but I've been baffled for spices/oil etc. I really do like that option you've shared! looking back, I kinda wish I invested money in function rather than aesthetics... first time home buyer mistake I suppose?

I would've responded much sooner, but I thought I had deleted this post because I was trying to add the cabintry dimensions. Live and learn, literally.
  • Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jamie I wish I could double love your comment. The hardwood floor..... I never appreciated all the tile I grew up with obviously, just remembered cold feet, Haha.

The cart is obviously throwing my perception off, if it were to pull it out of the equation completely, would you still prep primarily between the Fridge & stove?
  • Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forgot to mention, closet has built-in adjustable shelving (thanks to husband! removed wire shelves and bifold door). Wanted to see if cart could fit, it does, tightly, but without changing middle support shelf inside closet. Which can be done, but is it worth the hassle?

The last two pictures are ideas I had for the cabinet near the dining room - either a dish pantry or dry goods. That's where I'm getting stuck... both cabinet/closet are close to the Dishwasher, I can add drawers to the cabinet, not the closet though. Layout is my biggest struggle.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I really dislike set ups with doors and drawers. Big pain getting in and out and leave open and they limit other functions. I am struck by the fact that you have this process backwards! Design comes before improvements. Lol. It will be so expensive to make the kind of changes you are considering. Kind of unrealistic? Your mobile island is a blessing and gives you mobile prep space. I would maximize space in that closet without spending a ton of money. Every cabinet change could impact flooring too. What is #1 priority for you?
  • Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for your input and advice on that, Flo, practicality will always take priority over aesthetics......and you're correct about things not going in the correct order, hhahaa, will not go into details about the rest. Fortunately with each mistake made is another opportunity to learn (from good people like you!) and not repeat :)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Heather - I didn't mean to offend you, if I did, just making a kind of obvious observation. Sorry, we all make mistakes and that's why when people say "I can't afford a designer"...well, you get the idea. Anyway, I am a bit fearful that you might continue to create more problems than you solve. I would advise you to sit down and actually write down the items, one item per line that you really want in the kitchen. Then kind of rank them on importance. This will give you a better roadmap on what to tackle and in what order.

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

As far as dish storage goes, I have always prefered to have my dishes, glasses and silverware as close to the dishwasher as I can. We usually "set" the table in the dining area so having near the stove is not that helpful for me and I have other things (like spices and cookware) that have a greater need to be close to the stove/cooking area.

• Heather Plu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo, no offense at all! Have to learn some how, right? I do appreciate your advice, especially about turning the table in an X - simple yet did help the space!

We did work with a few designers and various contractors during this process, just didn't go to plan. Unfortunately we had to do everything ourselves in the end, including after paying the contractors for unfinished/or after subpar work.
    If it could go wrong, it did, Haha.

So no, I apologize for my tone, though I didn't have any negative conotone attachments... this has been a learning experience through and through. This is why I'm also here, actually posting instead of looking, for genuine thoughts and experiences.

again, thank you!