Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jencobun

family room makeover help please!

Jennifer Cobun
5 years ago

any suggestions on how to balance this room, furniture, decor, wall art, color scheme, crown molding and area rug options? I appreciate any advice as I am working off one room at a time, so I can feel happy in my home nest.

Comments (60)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

This one from your ideabooks uses the earthy tones with the charcoal.

Living Room · More Info

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    after looking at my idea books I definitely am figuring out what I dislike and like more. I don't think this is the color and style I want to go for, but I can see why I chose it in my idea books as it was one with lots of pops of color to me figure out what would go with this dark charcoal paint color that my husband and I loved in a store we were in with lots of white window trim and molding is what made it look nice I thought.
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

I see your front door in the last pic, but what is opposite your fireplace wall....

Would you consider a sectional?

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>always1stepbehind (love your name!
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>not sure why my last post didn't go through, but the rest of the house is needing a lot of work as well. I am figuring what would look good for this space on a budget or what good finds could fit the space. I am also wanting to paint the kitchen cabinets, get new affordable granite counter tops, backsplash and trims around the windows. I also need a lot of new decorations as well. All in time as I have been a busy mom and although I have a lot of ideabooks I am no where talented in knowing what to do with my own home.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Is that built in built right into the wall? I think you can make a big difference if you paint it the same color as the wall and restyle the fireplace a bit.

Then I'd try the sofas in an L-configuration with one sofa facing the fireplace, the other facing the window and move the kid table to the window side of the room.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I wasn't able to move your other sofa into position so I just removed it for now. Look what a difference it makes to paint the built in to match the wall. Get some real art over the mantel, put your most interesting photos in the built in (save those school pictures for wallet size for Grandma), and maybe look for a rug.

This is diy pizza box wall art:

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am blown away the last posts! How did you ever do that? I want to learn ! I am really super lucky to have people's help on here and in return I have a lot of work to do based off the suggestions and advice that I feel has helped me. I am always open for more honest suggestions and advice. Thanks again!
  • Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    groveraxle where were you going to position the other sofa? I love the idea of interesting art and the size of art you chose. I want to get an area rug, but I am currently trying to figure out what would look best since I am not confident in my designs yet. I love the entertainment built in painted to match the wall color, but I was also wondering if painting it white the same color as the fp would look even brighter and less dark? Maybe I can do a family photo wall upstairs or just have on shelves of 4x6 or 5x7 around the house? Thanks everyone again for all the help.
  • Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    groveraxle I just read your first post and the L is a great idea for place the sofas in my family room. I plan on getting new ones in a year since these were handed down to us by family. I am not sure what I would choose if I did get new ones, but I know I am not a fan of big and bulky like these ones and especially since they are harder to clean.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

The relationship between the fireplace and the built in is awkward, so I absolutely would NOT paint the built in white.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    your right that definitely does look more awkward with it painted white.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Since you're on a budget, you might look at Ikea's sofas. The Ektorp has been around forever and seems to be a good value for the price. It even comes with slipcovers. They have more modern ones now, too, if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10661/

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I definitely can't afford an interior designer, but I also have Houzz to help me pull together what I like and then super grateful I have people on here that give advice as if they are professional designers. Maybe one day I can get Chip and Joanne or the HomeTown couple, but for now I need to stick with what is reasonable.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

I would think one sofa two arm chair that swivel. Slip covers for easy wash, then move the play area behind sofa and invest in a shelf with baskets for toys behind the sofa. if you can two matching floor lamps for balance sake.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have a lot of great ideas to work with for sure. I wonder if anyone anyone would have suggestions on a different wall color that is neutral and would go with the hard wood flooring? I know I should pick out decor first, but did not this time. In my idea books show the colors I really gravitate towards. I think I am going to get rid of the small eating table for my kids since they are now 5 and 6. They are older now and I am ready to make some changes. white sofas I like, but worries with kiddos! thanks to the person who last posted!
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Just an example really, I figured you could get any color, slip cover especially if you go the ikea route. If they are 5-6 then totally get rid of the small table. Perhaps you could put a desk behind the sofa. Tho storage is always good and would work well there.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RL Relocation Thank you :). my husband is a big guy and tends to like to recline. I feel recliners are too bulky to add as chairs. I am looking to see if I can get ones that recline, but not as bulky and so I am not going back to the over sized furniture again. I am also open to spend a little more for quality and durability. I haven't shopped at Ikea yet, but I would like to one day! I often will go to Costco, HomeGoods, Target and World Market and online Houzz and Wayfair for finds that I want and then walk out or save it online .
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

just had a thought... what if you painted the fireplace mantel black or dark? Or replaced it?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

West Elm has some nice recliners that are not too bulky. A friend who is also a big guy really liked West Elm's Spencer recliner.

https://www.westelm.com/products/spencer-wood-framed-upholstered-recliner-h1356/?pkey=s%7Cspencer%7C2

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How fun! Thanks for doing that. okay I feel bad bugging everyone about this space and need to start working on it and definitely excited to take up a lot of everyone's suggestions. I have a kitchen, and dining and play room I eventually need help with as well. I am hoping everyone who has responded with helpful suggestions can help me with the rest of the house too!? :) I will do the hard work in making it all happen, but guidance and help is what motivates and inspires me. Thanks again
  • Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Those are really nice recliners. I will show my husband. I am wondering if leather is not as popular? I always thing any fabric is harder to clean then leather, however leather might keep this space looking a bit dark.
  • PRO
    Natasha Martirosian at Ethan Allen
    5 years ago

Your space planning will depend on the overall dimensions and use of the room! How many people use the space? How wide is the room? What style do you like? These are all questions that may seem overwhelming, but to really achieve a space, you want to know your goals prior to executing any purchase. For example, you find a chair you like and buy it. Well, now you have a chair style that will define the rest of your design, or potentially mismatch your space and create more clutter.

If you want real help, may I suggest that you get some help from a professional, who can assist you in making the best choices for your space! If you are near an Ethan Allen or would like personalized design services, we offer a complementary design service with your purchase. There are other options for you as well depending on your investment budget, but you will have to provide a bit more info to get real advice. Everyone has an opinion, what you want is a professional opinion which can guide you into getting what YOU LOVE and not just what looks good in one person or another's eyes. Good luck and let me know if I can help!

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Natasha thank you and appreciate your advice. Your right I definitely need to narrow my design style down. I have idea books of all things I love, but not sure what it is called? do you have a quiz type questionier to help me better narrow down my design style? Thank you for your post!
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Is your kitchen visible from the kitchen, if so, I would suggest natural linen by SW for the walls in your room in the post. It goes so well with the Stone Lion in the kitchen but I'd like to see the family room a bit brighter. Painted family room

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    kitchen and family room are connected. Tot of 2 adults and 2 temporary little guys growing faster then my eyes can keep up in my home. Total of 4 people, farm style I think is what I like....not sure??? I need a style finder quiz sheet :). I will look at the wall color suggestion. Thank you :)
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Jennifer,

It's my pleasure to help! I do have a questionnaire, but it's in PDF format. Let me see what I can do to get the file to you via Houzz.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

following... to see what you end up doing.. :)

• PRO
    5 years ago

I was able to convert to JPG. This is what all my clients fill out (or I fill out with them) when we begin a project. Hope this helps!

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    jencobun@gmail.com is my main email where you can send there. I love taking these questionniares. If there is more out there I will be happy to take. mean time I will be working in this house. For those that are following I will post before and after photos. Hopefully before this year is over :).
  • Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey everyone who helped me in the passed with ideas with my home decorating dilemmas. I am finally working on my house and ready to to start decorating and moving our the old and in with the new! Any suggestions keeping cost minimal. I have been eyeing Ballard's Designs and HomeGoods for my home :)

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

did I mention I did a lot of this painting myself? My husband did the trim and cornice boxes for the windows.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

You should probably paint the built in tv box area the wall color. that way it will blend away rather than being the only brown thing in the room.

Then I would pick up a sofa and two chairs, the sofa to face the tv wall and the chairs to flank, probably a 9x12 area rug, then build from there.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Cute photos. ;-)

I took a stroll through your living room ideabook and noticed you have a whole bunch of rooms with neutral natural colors, very warm and comfy looking, with wood and spicy reds.

Family and living rooms · More Info

Family and living rooms · More Info

This is probably a look you can achieve with a little planning.

My first suggestion is to decide what kind of seating you want for the living room. I would recommend a sofa against the wall opposite the windows, and either another sofa or two chairs facing the fireplace/TV, a rug large enough to hold the feet of all the seating, a coffee table and at least one end table, either in the corner between two sofas or between the two chairs, if you go that route.

I probably would not put any seating against the window.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

okay so now I am ready to get an area rug, coffee table, end table and with in budget figure out how to make at least one of my bulky ugly beige sofas work and maybe get two accent chairs? I need everything to be comfortable since we are a tv family, but also nice and entertaining for people to visit. I am having a hard time with balance and placement. the right wall where the sofa is really bare when I moved the sofa and not sure how to decorate that? I was thinking of adding a wall gallery of photos from our Oregon trips and then a colonial or nice art photo with two led candle sconces beside it above fireplace. I love books and display shelving and storage. I am getting rid of the kids table since they out grew it. any suggestions for that wall, accent furniture, end tables, round or rectangular coffee table. I am not paying a designer as I need to do all the work myself and enjoy it. I would however love some tips and advice because you guys are all awesome! I appreciate from the heart.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

OK, give us a photo of the room as it is now. Do you only have one sofa now? Show the room with only the furniture you are keeping.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

sending photos soon. I so far can't get rid of my bulky sofas and so I am trying to see about putting them in the living room when you first walk in. or begging someone to pick up for free! I then plan to buy from Costco or Wayfair for a sectional or one sofa and two accent chairs. I just purchased a 9x12 rug and working on art. the entertainment center was stained into a dark walnut I think? My husband and his dad built and stained it, so it's staying per my husband. Oh well....

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

currently I am working on this wall. deciding if a poster size of 24x36 In a set of three or 4 with 2 stacked would work and then my candle sconces on each side?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

The kids' photos are great! Now those are the kinds of photos worth hanging. However, the size you have taped on the wall is going to be a bit too large for stacking. You might use just the bottom three. The one where the boy on the left is standing could be portrait format printed large; the last two might be cropped to a square shape and printed smaller, so they could be stacked beside the first one.

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have this idea too? would you suggest 11x14 and do stacking for a gallery of 6 or 8? or just do three 24x36 or like what you said one 24x36 and then what two sizes smaller that can be stacked?

Home color scheme · More Info

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am having a hard time choosing photos....I love them all

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I do love candid shots of kids. How many do you have that are worth displaying? If you have six or eight, you could do a gallery with them all the same size, or a gallery with varying sizes (which is much harder to pull off).

Places like Pottery Barn have prearranged groupings of frames:

Amazon.com - MCS 49983 9 Piece Frame Set with Usable Artwork, Bronze Finish - · More Info

You can also choose your three very best, crop them, and print them large on canvas and hang them like this.

Living Room / Dining Room. · More Info

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Whatever you do, please don't get sucked into using these collage frames that hold little snapshots.

Eliza Gilt Multiple Opening Frame - Champagne | Pottery Barn · More Info

The guy who invented these should be shot, along with the guys who invented torchiere lamps, ladder shelves, and vases with sticks. ;-)

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

that's exactly what I wanted to do! it is hard to do only because I need another eye. I am doing this all by myself which is fine, but I want to do it right.

I have a lot of really good photos of the boys some I have taken and some professional. I really like the first idea you sent me and I like well all of them. I never liked canvas prints because I love the rich look of a frame and even better matted. I have expensive taste on a budget lol. I am going to homegoods tomorrow. I have 4 18 1/2 x22 1/2 light barn gray photo matted frames that fit an 11x14 photo. I love them, but thinking I need more and that's the only ones I found at home goods. maybe those can be used in the gallery or in my living room above my couch.

• csevene
    4 years ago

Following .. you have so many great photos!

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

this is the way opposite of the weinscotting wall I am working on. I was thinking of doing a small mirror and coat rack in the corner and lamp....not sure. If I can get my house together my goal is to help other people who have had struggles like me. I appreciate all the help!

• Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I will be sure not to! haha
  • Jennifer Cobun
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree. I do not like small framed collage photo frames. I always find too small of photos gets lost and makes the wall bare.