Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahrdrh

Looking for Master Bathroom Countertop Storage Ideas

ahrdrh
5 years ago

we are trying to decide what to do for countertop storage in the master bathroom. some of our ideas have been building a cabinet in the middle, adding a medicine cabinet, or just find a nice tray and keep it on the side. any ideas?? this is the only counter and sink area in the master.

Comments (11)

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I'd rather see medicine type cabinets on the sides and unclutter the countertop.

• Helen
    5 years ago

I agree with sushipup as I would not build something in the middle but would attempt to have medicine cabinets on the side.

What exactly are you storing on the counter. Depending on what it is, there are attractive boxes, trays or whatever. Why do you need that clump of large bottles on what looks like a piece of white plastic on the left and it looks like there is an abundance of toothbrushes on the right in a not very attractive holder. FWIW, I have read that it's actually better to store toothbrushes in a closed cabinet because of what disperses when one flushes the toilet :-).

• pattyl11
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I can't tell from the photo if that is a recessed cabinet or just a niche on the left hand side of the sink, but I would do matching recessed cabinets or matching recessed medicine cabinets in the wall on each side of the sink.

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

Is there a drawer on the left-hand side, under the sink-less counter? It looks like it is a matching bathroom vanity cabinet, with a false front. If so, you can convert that to a drawer.

I did this in our bathroom, using Blum metabox hardware. I can't tell you how much I love having such convenient storage for all our small bathroom items! I also added a pull-out to the cabinet below, which makes that cabinet space more useful as well (because it was designed as a sink base, there was no shelf). I'm not a skilled carpenter, but I'm fairly handy. I found the construction of the Blum metaboxes to be pretty straightforward; the installation was a little more challenging, especially getting the drawer front adjusted.
    This is our new top drawer (ignore tools and hardware on the countertop!):

Here is the cabinet below, with the addition of a pullout. The pullout holds bulky things that we don't use very often, since it required opening both doors to pull it out. I mounted it high enough to allow plenty of space below for the things we use more often.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

It looks like your shower niche or a shelf in the shower is behind the obscured glass on the left side. So you don't have that available for putting in a med cab. It is a narrow space, anyway.

AnnKH's ideas are great, and I would try those first. If a med cab on the right side wall is possible, that might help. The do come pretty tall, and with you having a full length mirror on the back wall, you may place the side med cab low enough to be able to get a very tall one. Get one with electrical inside (maybe the electrician can make use of the electrical switch being right next to it) and you can put an electric toothbrush, shaver or whatever inside it to hide, too. I LOVE my two med cabs. I have one over a non-sink space, but I also can sit at my counter to do my hair. Here is a picture:

My drawer on the non-sink side really helps with storage, too.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

What's wrong with your countertop storage now? Things like "adding a medicine cabinet" aren't affecting your countertop storage (it's adding a cabinet, nothing to do with your counter), so I'm not sure what you're trying to do). In general, don't see a reason to hide the things you use daily, and I don't see why you wouldn't want a bathroom to look like it's used as a bathroom.

The only thing I see really wrong in your photos is the fact that the towel hangs too close to the sink.....standing at the sink, you're going to be pushing in to the towel.

If you're looking for more storage space, you could maximize the way things are stored in your drawers, or add a tiered self to the countertop (at the far left). I would not add a medicine cabinet, unless you're going to fully remodel the area.

• kulrn
    5 years ago

You could do something like this, but I like my counters to have nothing but soap and a decorative item. Everything else goes in drawers and under cab caddies to pull out when in use. I don't even like the pretty trays with bottles of stuff on them...

bath accessories - Google Search · More Info

Midcentury Bathroom · More Info

Eye-Catching Graphic-Print Bathrooms - Inspiration - Dering Hall · More Info

(17) Pinterest · More Info

• bpath
    5 years ago

I'm with Toronto. What is it you want to store on the countertop? The things that are there now seem entirely appropriate.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

My bathroom counter has a few things out that I use every day. But everything has a real place and the countertop can be cleared off and all put away in about 30 seconds. And I do that several times a week, just not every day.

• btydrvn
    last year

It doesn’t look like you have room for a tower or any added side cabinets…the easiest solution would be a collection of sturdy and pretty baskets ..a group of three in graduating sizes …could work for two people ..for items used daily….and one that is used for items used by both people…they should be tall enough that all the contents are mostly hidden..to avoid a cluttered feel…i prefer baskets over solid containers so they wont accumulate any gunk in the bottoms