Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dayemm1115

Kitchen remodel

Dayana Emmanuel
5 years ago
Can you provide advice on the proposed layout of our kitchen remodel? The kitchen is 19’ wide x 8’ long on one side and approximately 10’ long on the other side. The center island is approximately 5x7 and will have a sink, dishwasher and garbage/recycle bins and an under cabinet microwave. The longest wall will have two sets of tall pantries and a buffet area with a mini fridge. The stove area will be our food prepping area. (The window here is not centered yet but will be depending on the top cabinets.)The kitchen opens up to the dining room. Sorry about the very rough draft, we didn’t get to complete some of the cabinets and finishing touches but I wanted to ask for layout advice before I meet with the designer again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

An actual detailed floor plan is the best way to get ideas and the pictures you have posted need to be in the right direction I will tell you 38” is not enough room in front of a fridge or pantry I think the upper cabinets on the window wall beside the hood look silly and really provide poor storage at best.Wide deep drawers are ideal for pot storage but they should be near the range.That small sink in the island needs to be larger since it is the only sink and I would prefer it under the window to keep the island clear. I hope you are having an actual kitchen designer not a cabinet sales person doing the design.I like true pullout pantries as opposed to doors with pullout shelves.

• Shannon_WI
    5 years ago

^^Agree 100% with Patricia Colwell's points. Also, are the upper cabinets just short of the ceiling, but not touching the ceiling? If so, why?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'd keep the clean-up zone on the island--if you really want an island sink--but I agree it should be larger. Put a prep sink under the window, with a trash pull-out between it and the range, and you'd have an efficient prep triangle, with a separate clean-up zone. Without the trash, the island can be made narrower, to give you a few more inches in the fridge aisle.

I agree that the narrow cabinets beside the hood should be omitted; instead use a wider hood, which will help capture steam and grease. I'd probably omit the upper corner cabinet to the right of the window--just have the uppers on the fridge wall die into the back wall--unless you really need the upper storage space.

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    5 years ago

I think you might look at a few layout options. You need 40" around the island to any outside cabinetry or appliances. I would put the sink at the window 33") and a prep sink on the island.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

Dayana, can you verify the measurements? Is the whole kitchen 19' wide, or does that include the doors and pantry run? Or is the space between the French doors and the fridge wall 16.25' (195")?

• Erin Behrmann
    5 years ago

Drop the cabinets flanking the hood, let the hood be a stand alone showpiece! also I can’t tell where the dishwasher is, but don’t put it near the cooking surface/prep area or else you will always be fighting for counter space and personal space with whomever is cleaning up while you cook!

• Dayana Emmanuel
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mama Goose the kitchen is 226” wide. Oh good, that’s actually what I was thinking with the dishes being emptied from DW into the hutch. I like the different prepping and cleaning zones as well. We currently have the sink in the corner between the range and refrigerator and it feels too tight.