Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

This is the End of My Garden Hopes and Dreams

The rabbits have finally won and the garden and I have lost. Not only is every rose denuded and decimated, and most of my new companion plants have been eaten, but even the leaf mulch under the plantings has been devoured. I no longer have the will or the energy to keep fighting this losing battle. The roses that are in cages, except for La France and Mme. Joseph Schwartz, have refused to grow, probably due to rose replant disease, and even those two will not last long if I remove the cages. With the increasing heat and drought in coming years and the constant presence of starving rabbits, there just isn't much to be done, especially in my poor soil. I imagine some of the taller roses will survive for a while longer, even though now they have lost at least 50% of their foliage, but the hot summers without so much leaf cover will kill them sooner or later. I may plant rosemary in their place since that is one thing in the garden they will not touch. I thought penstemons were safe from the rabbit, but just a few days ago they started on those two.

It has been a wonderful, glorious time, and thankfully I have many pictures to remind me of what once was. What is left will hopefully disappear a little at a time and I'll have time to get used to my changed garden. Of course I'll still be here to enjoy all your roses, unless I find that it becomes too painful. Life is all about change, but so many good things still remain.

Comments (50)

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Oh Ingrid, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what I can possibly say to make it feel any better so will just reach out to you in sympathy, and send love and heartfelt hugs of support and understanding.

Perhaps others will have some more practical ideas that might help - though of course we all (or most of us) know that even without the current drought, with your poor soil and extreme climate/ microclimate from rocks and hardscaping, this is something you've essentially been battling, with failing health/strength for a very long time.

I do understand that sense of simply having no energy left to keep fighting, after years of refusal to give in, and it really is nothing to be ashamed of, since you really have given it your all, within your limitations. Not that that necessarily makes the personal sense of loss of precious dreams any easier to deal with.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Oh Ingrid, that is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. Trish x

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • User
    5 years ago

How sad and I'm so sorry, as I thought you were still ordering roses... but perhaps the writing has been on the wall for some time with this climate business... a loss not only to yourselves but to the forum too.. we shall miss all your roses, they have been so inspirational to so many, and further afield than the U.S.... that's an achievement to be proud of...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Dear Ingrid, I am so sorry to hear that your garden is being eaten away...it is truly heartbreaking. I wanted you to know how much inspiration and wisdom I have gained from the generosity in how you’ve shared your garden, and so it is a loss for us all.

You‘re living midst a major change in your environment, and that is an awe-some thing in the word‘s original sense. I think there might be some new things in store for your garden, as Nature takes over the labor and allows you to watch.

You have showed so much kindness and caring for all the creatures in your garden, whom I’m sure are grateful in their furry and feathered ways. I’m just so honored to have to glimpsed it through your photos and posts. :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I am so sorry Ingrid..wish there was more I could do or say.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Alana8aSC
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I am so bummed for you. If you plant things in pots will the rabbits still be able to devore the roses ?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I’m so sorry for this turn of events. I know I would be heartbroken if I had to face such a reality. Your pictures pre-rabbit invasions were always so stunning. Maybe you could fence a small area of your property and grow some roses there? Or perhaps some smaller roses in containers that are too high for the rabbits to reach? If not, maybe you can turn to alternate, xeric plants that the rabbits won’t eat? I know, not as much fun but at least keeps you gardening, which is better than giving up!

-chris

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling discouraged. I think your tall roses can survive even with the reduced foliage. From recent pictures I've seen of your rose shrubs, they look good to me... I'm accustomed to seeing roses without leaves with the blackspot and long winter, so your roses always look fine to me...

The rabbits must be having a difficult winter, the drought and fires very hard on them.

I wonder if there is a cover plant that you could economically plant over large areas that could feed the rabbits and enrich the soil; something for a xeriscape situation, which would be compatible with a fire- resistant garden.

Modern roses might be easier to establish in poor soil as they are more vigorous, perhaps large potted or grafted roses.

Bands and small potted antiques can be frustrating at times to establish. One can try a different brand or type of fertilizer or soil amendment. I don't recall if you disbud small plants; I don't disbud and this seems to have worked well in my garden setting.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

I'm sorry Ingrid. I'm afraid that drought will eventually get us -- even if we can continue to avoid Chilli Thrips and -- worse -- Rose Rosette Disease.

I pray that we can hold off these things during my lifetime.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jerijen
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh, Ingrid! I just noticed your post, and I’m truly heartbroken for you. I’m not going to make any suggestions about how to “still grow roses, somehow”, because I’m sure you’ve tried everything you’re able to do. I’m just SO sorry. I/we can only hope that this rain will provide some new food for the wild creatures, and some of your most established roses will remain. I urge you to leave them in place as long as they are alive. I’m hoping a few tough old roses will surprise you. Please don’t give in to the urge to just rip everything out. Some of the roses that are growing in the area in front of where I parked my car looked large and well established. With the afternoon shade in that area, maybe some will hang on until better times come along. I know with climate change, “better times” might not come, but a very wet winter, and a change in critter population could happen. Maybe, just maybe, some of those roses in that NE bed will be ok? I hope so, and I’m so incredibly sorry. I know you must be heartbroken and tired of it being so difficult. I wish there was something I could do. ❤️ Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • Genevre
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I'm so sorry to hear of your increasing animal and drought problems with the roses. I agree with previous responders who said you could probably use containers with as many special favorites as you can support, but it must be so depressing to contemplate losing a beloved type of gardening. We all may be coming to that in time. However, there are many beautiful and relatively inedible plants to learn and grow, too. I lived for 13 years in Tuolumne Co, California, and really loved my native/dry border.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Genevre
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Ingrid, you must be so heart broken. I know you love your rabbits , squirrels, birds and all animals.You did tried everything. pls don't pulled any roses out. You do have huge ones growing.
    You have very beautiful garden. I learned a lot from you and you inspire me a lot too.
    Some came with great suggestions about pots. I know you tried everything and out of energy fighting with fire, drought and rabbits. Wish I can say or do more but wish you well.
    I know this question I have never ask you but how about rose trees. I know they can be expensive like $60 a pop unless you buy them on sale. I am going on prices on DA but I am not sure of OGR...I don't think they are sold as trees but grown into one maybe by pots...I don't know. I am just questioning it a loud. Maybe you did already but I can't remember.I am truly sorry, Ingrid.

jin
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My kind and wonderful friends, your comments brought me to tears, just because I'm so grateful to all of you. Even only one day after I wrote this post I'm already more accepting of what is happening, and I'm able to let go of what can no longer be. With my weakness anything that takes energy such as growing roses in pots or really doing anything at all except the barest necessities is out of the question. The last month or two has made me realize that. However, I was just outside, reveling in the beautiful scenery and the warmth of the sun and the bird songs (I'm feeding them birdseed now and there is constant activity), and feeling so grateful for nature all around me, which I can never, ever take for granted. I will not remove any of the roses unless they're completely dead, and I know that for some time there will still be blooms to enjoy. I will bask in whatever is left rather than mourning what is gone.

Dear Comtesse, Melissa, Trish, Marlorena, Alana, Chris, Kristine, Krista, Jeri, Lisa, Genevre and Jin, you are the roses in a garden that will never stop blooming, and that means the world to me. I can't bear to leave here, and so for the foreseeable future will happily share and enjoy all your rosy adventures.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I wish I had some suggestions, but I'm sure you've thought of or tried them all. Just hoping you don't abandon us here as you have so much knowledge and experience to share. It is hard to let go of a dream.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry you're going through these hard times in your garden. Hopefully once spring arrives, it will revive your spirits to see what roses you have left blooming and growing. Your passion for roses has been inspiring and contagious. I bought Le Vesuve because of you! I hope you do continue to visit and contribute to these forums.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Oh, Ingrid !! You brought tears to my eyes as I read how beautifully you put words about feeding the birds and realized that beauty is all around you. It is sad but very true. You have a terrific view of beauty. Nature is all around you. I hope your roses will last forever.
    I totally understand and thank you for being here with us. Teaching us from adopting animals, roses, history of vases and China's ....
    I am so glad that you will be here with us and I am happy to know you , Ingrid.
    jin

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Ingrid, you are a kind person and I know you feel the need to thank us all, but for me it is you that need to be thanked for sharing of your garden for so long. I so agree with Jin that you've taught us so much more then just about roses.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rosylady, Jin and vaporvac, I'm so very touched by your comments. So many people have inspired me in my love for roses, and if I can pay that debt forward and inspire others that is my greatest pleasure. We need to have beauty in our lives, and to be able to create it ourselves and help others to create it is a wonderful thing.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I'm sorry to hear about all this. Not only do I enjoy looking at the photos of your tranquil and beautiful garden, but I also consider you as one of my rose mentors and I thank you for that.

I respect your holistic approach to your living space and the humane treatment of all the life around you. There are times when we have to let things go, as hard as it is, though my secret hope is that the remaining roses in your garden will flourish and bring a new life to your rose gardening. Meanwhile, I look forward to my recently planted 'Aloha' and the upcoming 'La France' that I would not have ordered had it not been for the inspiration from your lovely roses. I am glad you'll stay with us...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • roseseek
    5 years ago

You may not have just rabbit damage, Ingrid. Woodrats or pack rats have been LEGION in may areas for the past several years. Roseangellyn up in Weaverville has had them eat her garden to the nubs for the past two years. There are fewer predators to control them for a variety of reasons, so they are proliferating. Fortunately their feeding habits change with the season and you may end up having a decent spring and summer, but winters are likely going to look as it does right now. Good luck.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked roseseek
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I really feel for you, Ingrid. I wish you were a neighbor here so you could safely be in a more moderately hot area where it would be easier for you and Cecil. It will never be over for me because you are my inspiration to grow Tea roses which I will always love. I think Maman Cochet would win out over any rabbit. Adam, too. Still hoping.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

About 10 years ago I was in a similar state. The rabbit population exploded. My neighbor was feeding them and they would line up outside his door for carrots every morning. We had to drive very slowly going through thr neighborhood to avoid hitting the many rabbits that would suddenly jump out onto the road in front of the car. The main road was littered with rabbit corpses. My garden was decimated. I was devastated. Even plants like penstemon and yucca and sumac were eaten the the ground. smaller trees had bark chewed off and killed. The larger pines and tree yuccas were spared. After a couple years of this, the coyote population grew, and then tularemia came, and soon it was rare to see a rabbit. My garden began to grow back. But by then, I had learned to love many plants that the rabbits didn't. I know it is painful to see your garden destroyed. It sounds like you have already begun to find joy elsewhere, and I applaud you for that. You may find joy in your garden yet again, even though it might look a bit different this time.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Darren Harwood
    5 years ago

Darling Lady,

I give you the biggest hug and a kiss. Wishing you happiness. X

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Darren Harwood
  • User
    5 years ago

Being new to roses and even newer with the old roses, I found this forum by accident and in a very short time was sorting the comments looking specifically for what Ingrid had to say on most everything. Even now if I ask my wife about almost any question about our roses she says what did Ingrid say about it. Anyway so glad I ran into this forum and Ingrid.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Hi Ingrid! I've not been commenting on things lately because somehow I can't get back to my old Houzz profile (also KS) and was trying to avoid using the site until I got my old profile back (I don't know what I did, but somehow I logged in with the wrong ID and created a new one. Anyway, I just tell you that to emphasize that your garden woes brought be out of my lurking state in order to send sympathy. I'm so sorry about the ravenous wildlife decimating your roses! We hear about climate change on the news, and the potential impacts we will feel, but there is often a sense that some of the things happening (fires, etc) could be due to other factors as well. But what you are describing drives home how heartbreaking this is -- not just because of fires and floods and dramatic things, but small things, like our inability to keep the same plants that our ancestors did, or local wildlife struggling as precipitation patterns change and food sources become more scarce. It is so sad, and I feel terrible about your garden. I hope you will find some xeric plants to replace them, and maybe still keep some of your favorites in pots? Perhaps elevating them enough could keep the bunnies at bay? If it is really terrible you could consider elevating a select set of potted roses on an outdoor table, in the manner of Bonsai display. That way you could sort of still baby them, and give them water -- without watering the rest of the garden. I know roses don't LOVE pots, but many of mine are in pots and do fine. I hope you can keep some of them! My heart is breaking for your garden, and I wish I could give you some of our Seattle rain! Best of luck!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • User
    5 years ago

The worst thing we can choose to do in navigating life's difficult changes is to refuse to accept the new conditions and change your path to accommodate. Flex, don't break.

I've heard myself tell people often in the past decade: Horticulture is not about arriving at the perfect destination, its about traveling through an ever-changing landscape (literal and figurative).

• val rie (7a - NJ)
    5 years ago

The rabbits eat your roses? Eat the rabbits!!!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked val rie (7a - NJ)
  • User
    5 years ago

There is so much wisdom being expressed in these posts. Ingrid, I, too, am so sorry to hear that things are looking kind of bleak to you now, and I totally applaud you for finding the inner resources to not "wallow" in sadness over the present situation. Paul is SO right. Melissa's post is full of wisdom as well (though I think Darren's is absolutely the sweetest and best, lol!) Though I agree with the "don't give up" theme, I also feel strongly that it's important to remember that the essence of life is change. One of my two best teachers, the luminist sculptor Anne Truitt, pointed out that ,when one is moving in the right direction for spiritual development, it is often accompanied by a feeling of "laying down a burden", and I'm hearing shades of this in your attitude. Personally, it seems to me that you love gardening too much and , with your good taste, may eventually begin to decide to experiment with some different plants that are both less tasty to beasties and less "needy" and demanding than roses are. I mean, after all, you HAVE managed, for many years, to grow a beautiful rose garden in an environment that one would think would be totally impossible for roses (and remember, this is coming from a woman who has a garden situation that is harsh in the extreme). So, since you have done this, it's logical to assume that you could produce some totally stunning results using plants that would be far more sustainable in your environment and far less demanding on your energy level; I'm imagining stuff like lavenders and other no-effort, drought tolerant aromatics; maybe some carrot-like rooted plants like gypsophilia. Since water is such a huge issue for you at present, not having to use what little you have on roses might leave you with enough to sustain un-thirsty plants.Best of luck!

P.S. I'm kind of trying to take my own advice a bit,btw. Thinning the herd, as it were,digging out roses that just haven't flourished or just don't please me.I'm finding a lot of "zombies"; plants that haven't died,but can't flower well because they don't have decent root systems (I think the heat-and-drought combo tends to kill off plants in a much slower, gradual way than intense cold does). I have to accept the fact that my environment isn't lush and welcoming to flowers like Marlorena's is, for example. The sun just IS hotter than it used to be,and my soil is not deep and rich,and it just doesn't rain enough in the summer to compensate for the augmentation of the heat.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I may not have precisely the garden I would like, but at this moment I realize that I have a garden of a different type, but equally precious. Maybe even more so because it's a garden of the heart and I don't have to look outside or go there to see it and feel it. If I weren't inclined to do it for me I'm going to keep on and keep on for all of you, because the only way I can stay here is to have roses, and I want to have roses and I want to be here to share them with you.

P.S. Trust me, I have coyotes too. Just the other day FOUR of them traipsed through my back yard as we watched them through the glass door. Last night we watched in awe as a baby bunny took what might have been its first trip into the great outdoors. I love this place!!!!

P.S.S. Dear bart, you have said so many of the things I would have liked to express, thank you. You all know me well enough to guess what I would and could say, so I'll spare you. I do have to say thank you for the wonderful gift of your friendship and support. I'm in such good company.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I’m so glad you’re sticking around, Ingrid. This place wouldn’t be the same without you. The landscape and wildlife around you are the true beauty of your place. Seeing the wildlife in their natural habitat is becoming a rare thing in our area. You’re blessed to live where you do, in spite of the difficulties. Most of us in SD country only see the coyotes roaming the streets at night, toppling over garbage cans looking for something to eat. Most of their natural prey is gone, due to more and more building. It maybe difficult to grow roses, but you truly have your own little slice of heaven there.

Perhaps late next Fall, you could purchase a very large bag of CA poppy seed. I prefer the cream colored ones, and I assume you would too. I believe the seed I purchased was called “White Linen”. I don’t think the rabbits eat them, and they require NO care whatsoever. Just throw handfuls of seed around the property in late November, and let nature take care of the rest. It’s just a thought, but it might bring you some joy to see them blooming. You place looks like it was MADE for CA poppies.

What others above have said is so true, and I’m learning this myself. What won’t bend, will break. It looks like we’ll have to “bend”. It sounds like you’re “bending”, and with your typical grace. Lisa

Original Author
    5 years ago

Lisa, I had wondered about CA poppies but assumed the rabbits would consider them to be heaven-sent snacks. I will certainly try spreading seed next fall of the variety you mention, which I would prefer over the orange variety, although I would grow anything that isn't rabbit food. Of course you are right, living in the country with nature still around us is a great privilege, and I'm immensely grateful every single day.

• val rie (7a - NJ)
    5 years ago

Maybe if you give them better food than the roses they will settle on that?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked val rie (7a - NJ)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Ingrid , I am sad too that you feel all is lost for your garden . I can’t even imagine what that must feel like , I do know our gardens are an extension of our souls.. we pour love into it and in exchange it cleanses and heals us in ways we can’t replace. I do hope you find some joy in it this spring and it warms you up again !!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Ingrid, my parents and family members built 3 homes on a sagebrush hill loaded with wildlife. It’s mostly sagebrush. Although my parents removed the lawn and garden due to water costs and to a lesser degree, rabbits eating everything in site, I do remember poppies growing untouched along the yard border. They did remain untouched while my dad didn’t even have to mow the enormous lawns because the bunnies kept ALL that grass so short. They ate everything my mother tried to grow, until she finally gave up. However, I remember seeing those poppies untouched. Lisa

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Oh Ingrid, I join everyone on empathizing with your heartbreak at fighting nature to bring the exquisite beauty that you have created in your garden for so many years. I agree with sentiments like Paul's to embrace change rather than avoid it, and there may be ways to appreciate a different relationship between you and your yard and the environment and the critters. As I recall your many lovely photos, the natural backdrop of your yard has always been breathtakingly beautiful without any human intervention, though your yard was a wonderful addition to that natural beauty. Perhaps this current phase of your yard involves appreciating the God-given garden and nature events that occur without your intervention at all. Given your health situation and your husbands, this might be an opportunity for a new kind of joy in your surroundings if you look at it as a positive change.

For instance, I bet the sunrises and sunsets over your hills are outstanding, and rambling over those hills might be a new hobby to replace the time spent gardening. Even the scrub plants on the hills probably host a variety of insect, bird and small wildlife habitats that can be beautiful in their own right. Is bird watching popular in your region? You've mentioned wild squirrels that you've adopted as a true animal lover, and perhaps you can even find enough room in that enormously forgiving heart of yours to enjoy the bunnies once you're not fighting them any more. Especially if the true culprit turns out to be rats as Kim suggests (which even for a true animal lover might be hard to embrace). You can try any or all of the ideas above to still garden at some level, but at a "take it or leave it" kind of mentality. If poppies (for instance) grow from seed, then you'll enjoy them. If not, you've fed the birds and expended very little energy or money that you'd regret.

Of course you are expected to chime back in here since we don't want to lose your shining presence even if rose growing is a "not now" activity for you. If nothing else, you need to be a voice of wisdom so that we don't get too narrow minded in our own focus on our roses and forget to notice the beauty that is around us that transcends the frustration and heartbreak.

Just don't leave us...

Cynthia

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    5 years ago

val rie, I've been feeding the rabbits, squirrels and birds (and probably the pack rats too) for years, and it's been only this last year that they have attacked my garden because formerly there was enough wild vegetation to sustain them in addition to the little that I was feeding them. Climate change is what has toppled our formerly beautiful relationship, and for that we can only blame ourselves. I'm now responsible for the bulk of their food but of course they still crave the natural food that grows out of the ground. Many would say there's no reason to feed them at all and just let nature take its course. On the other hand people feed birds to help them survive, and what is the difference? Animals are our fellow travelers on this earth, and sadly for the most part we don't respect that very much.

Dear Cynthia, your beautiful post touches my heart, and I wish I could convey my appreciation and gratitude without sounding maudlin, but I don't think I can ever find the right words to let you and everyone else who has written know how deeply connected I feel to all of you. This forum has been my home for many years, and has enriched my life incredibly. Where else could I possibly go?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Cynthia, that was just lovely!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I am not very good at expressing my thoughts, so I am glad to see that others have done it before me. There has been some amazingly good advice offered by your friends here. Please let it sink in and remember, that gardens do go on in spite of big drawbacks.

There, see, I told you I was no good at this sort of thing. Everything I try to say seems trite.

Try the Californian poppies, they will lift your heart.

Daisy

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daisy, I feel that I know the heart from which those words emanate and there is nothing trite about that. Furthermore, your garden tells me who you are more than mere words ever could. Warm hugs from California to Crete.

• pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

Hi Ingrid,

I’ve been away from the forum for a while between taking care of mom and then taking care of all the necessary stuff since her passing. I’m slowly, but surely coming out of the abyss now and trying to catch up on what’s been happening here.

I’m so sorry to hear of your bunny troubles. I know you get great joy out of helping the wildlife around you and feel it’s worth it to do what you can for them, but I also know it’s disheartening to have them destroy beloved plants in the garden. My rabbit problems don’t compare to yours, but I have lost multiple roses, lilies and such to bunny damage over the years, not to mention the havoc they wreak on our vegetable garden. I’ve had success the past couple of years with heavy duty bird netting around the young roses. I just use long sticks I pick up from trees around the yard, push 4 of those in the ground to form a square around the rose, cut enough bird netting to wrap around the outside of the sticks and use landscape staples to secure the netting around the ground. These homemade cages have been much cheaper for me ($20 for 7.5 x 65 feet of netting which is enough for a lot of cages) than putting tomato cages around every plant loved by rabbits, and the netting is barely visible, so more pleasing to the eye. I’m not sure this would be strong enough protection for the rabbit issue you have, though…with the amount of rainfall we get here, rabbits have plenty of food to choose from, so it’s easier for them to move on along than to try to get to the roses inside the netting. The only other thing I can think of would be “if you can’t fight them, join them” by keeping an area as a bunny garden planted with vegetables, berries and flowers they love, and then plant flowers and herbs they generally dislike in other areas of your garden around your roses/companion plants that you want them to avoid. If a separate rabbit garden wouldn’t be too impractical with your drought conditions, maybe that along with some bird netting would help.

Echoing everyone else, your determination to garden through the all the obstacles thrown your way has been quite an inspiration to me. Hoping you find a feasible resolution that works for both you and your surrounding wildlife soon!

Leonie Lamesch outgrowing her netting cage:

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pat, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. How kind of you to devote thoughts to my problem when you've been through such a difficult time.

I admit your idea sounds intriguing and seems less obtrusive than the clunky metal cages, and I'm quite interested in this technique. I wonder if I could wind the netting around twice to make it more difficult for the bunnies to reach through. My bunnies are very persistent because these poor guys don't have much to eat, but a double wrapping just might do the trick. I'm definitely going to try this because I'm very tired of the cages, which really spoil the look of the garden. Thank you!

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I'm not a frequent contributor to this forum or a regular, but a long time lurker and I always enjoy your posts. I really hope you can find a way to make it work.

My parents had to downsize their house due to age and all the issues that come with having a rambling house. They moved from having a house with a yard full of fruit trees and flowers to a flat or what we call here an apartment a few years ago. It still tears up my mom and I feel her pain. It's a different situation, but having to give up something you love is painful and i hope you can work something out, or move to something that is equally fulfilling and brings you joy.

Rekha

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

Double wrapping the netting is an excellent idea, Ingrid. And metal stakes or rebar would probably make a better netting frame for keeping your persistent rabbits at bay than the sticks/branches I use. You could plant a cheap vegetable or flower that rabbits love inside a netting cage for a test run before using them on your roses

• pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

And be careful not to leave enough room between the landscape staples for anything to crawl under.

• mariannese
    5 years ago

Dear Ingrid, I' m so terribly sorry about the situation of your garden. I wish I'd read this post before I wrote so flippantly about lagomorphs. I'm in the process of adjusting my garden to face new threats, both drought and animals, deer in my case. There will be fewer roses and more late blooming shrubs, more grey leaved and hairy plants and herbs with strong smell that are less popular with deer and hares and more drought tolerant as well.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mariannese
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rekha, you are a darling, and I thank you for your concern. I feel so much for your parents because it would break my heart to leave our home here in the hills.

Pat, metal stakes are a very good idea; that will be sturdier. Of course hopefully I can dispense with the barriesr once the roses are tall enough. The rabbits will chew the lower portions but the roses will just have to learn to grow taller.

Marianne, I love your beautiful garden and am grieved that you are also facing challenges that were undreamt of in past years. I hope and pray that your solutions will work and that you can retain much of the beauty of your lovely space. We have to adapt and change, and find contentment and sokace in whatever way we can devise. We are all in this together, and I must say that the fellowship I have found here is just as precious as the most beautiful rose garden I can imagine.

• pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

It usually doesn’t take too long for my roses to get tall enough to be uncaged, and the netting doesn’t tangle up, so it can be folded or rolled and saved until needed for a new rose. I have taken away a rose’s cage too soon a couple of times only to have bunnies come and graze it down to a nub that has to be re-caged…so try to have more patience than I We just have standard rabbits here…no jackrabbits…if you have jackrabbits, it might take a while for the roses to outgrow their reach.

I was thinking, too, that the black netting I use would be more visible if double layered. I’ve only seen the heavy duty stuff in black, but surely, they make it in clear or at least green so that it isn’t as noticeable. If you can find it in clear, you could quadruple wrap if needed without much of a visual distraction.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Pat, fortunately we have only the cottontails, no giant jack rabbits. I'll have to check whether they have colors other than black; green would be awesome (not the rabbits, the netting!).

• User
    5 years ago

Ohh, I don't know, I kinda like the idea of green rabbits...(LOL!!!)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH