Houzz Logo Print
judy_blum62

LOVE my kitchen but whats missing???

smu techi
5 years ago

just installed my new hood!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the way my kitchen came out

now need to figure out what is missing,

know that i need to get a back splash on- gotta refill that wallet first:)

How do i complete this look its a bit to cold/empty looking

Comments (129)

• J Williams
    5 years ago

OMG, what is going on in the bottom photo of the 2 tree studios page, a dead chicken, a huge glass of wine and an enormous (potentially lethal) chef knife with the blade cutting towards the user (the inside wrists/thumb) lol (and also shudder, that’s how people get into serious accidents)? Beautiful boards tho.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Well wine and a dead chicken are usually found in kitchens, but what bothered me was that the person was cutting off the head of what looked like a live chick.

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

Perhaps is better to have sculptures of gold birds in front of a mirror with fake plants in front of it.

• PRO
    5 years ago

The logic of your analogy escapes me Anthony.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

It's an onion, Diana. I zoomed in to 400%.

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

some people get terrified with food styling including a dead chicken, I for one am more terrified with sculptures of gold birds in front of a mirror with fake plants in front of them, (as in your cover page,) but I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

To tartanmeup--thanks! It looked like a chick to me!

To Anthony, if you read my post, I had no problem with a dead chicken in the kitchen. That's where most dead chickens end up. Maybe next time actually read and understand what someone writes before you comment..

• J Williams
    5 years ago

It’s really the way they are cutting that onion towards their other hand with an unweildy oversize chef knife coupled with the dead (unplucked) chicken and red wine that just makes a weird image to me, seems either overdramatic or kind of dark plus just bizarrely unsafe (not to mention unsanitary lol). Don’t get the reference to gold birds or fake plants, you won’t find any fake plants here unless maybe on a christmas tree.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Well, J. Williams, Mr. Perez seems to think that your comment was mine, and he felt the need to disparage a photo on my home page as a retort. I don't know, maybe he staged the photo and feels it was a personal attack on his aesthetic.

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

And here I tough we were talking about decorative items and warming up a place, but some how the ladies got cough up on a dead chicken, totally missing the point. one more proof that for many on this forum egos and finding something to criticize is priority.

it is unfortunate.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

hmm

• Laurie Schrader
    5 years ago

RE: Back painted or colored glass backsplash. Imho, this is so very wrong for your house. I've seen it. Done right in a very sleek, modern atmosphere, looks cool. But you don't have that. I think introducing a new style would be wrong for you.

I've also heard the stories about how hard it is to clean. Quite like a mirror. Yuk. Who the heck wants that, if you cook a lot?

smu techi thanked Laurie Schrader
  • crystalpea
    5 years ago

No idea about back painted plexi but while beautiful I've heard back painted glass is very expensive in both material and installation.

I saw these in a Brekhus showroom today and i kind of liked the mix of materials for your backsplash especially to tie into the marbling going on on your counters. Hard to tell from your pictures if it'd actually all work together but thought I'd throw it out there.

smu techi thanked crystalpea
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

You mention needing a table - what does that area measure? what shape... If you haven't said already, what kind of lighting will the eat-in area have? Is this too dressy, I'm not sure it necessarily is. 25 x 25"

Montclair 25.5" Chandelier · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/trans-globe-7975-bn-5-light-chandelier-prvw-vr~8529102

smu techi thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

celery had soft fabric so nice, and a chunky-simple island light -- ??

Is this your house?

Judy's ideas · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/judys-ideas-phvw-vp~133692203[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/judys-ideas-phvw-vp~133692203)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

celery had soft fabric so nice, and a chunky-simple island light -- ??

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

everdebz-yes that's my dining room:)

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Hi. What room has the 'veined' look? I see 3 floorings total ..

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dining is hardwood, kitchen and breakfast has rosedale tile entrance and foyer has the black and white tile

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Simple backsplash imo - have clear and blue no green.... no? can delete

Unique Optic Hand Blown Glass Pendant Lights, Brushed Nickel, Set of 3, Blue · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/unique-optic-hand-blown-glass-pendant-lights-brushed-nickel-3-piece-set-blue-prvw-vr~124124050

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

not sure i"m loving the blue..

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Oval Chandelier W 38.75" / D 23.25" / H 19"

39" 6-Light Oval Chandelier, Antique Bronze, Clear Globe Glass · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/6-light-oval-chandelier-antique-bronze-clear-glass-globe-prvw-vr~102564871

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Etched glass shades create patterns. Soft ambient light is dimmable. Height: 4.25" Length: 47.25". Shade H 3.13" and W 2"

https://www.houzz.com/products/counter-weights-6-light-island-light-in-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~130121104

Counter Weights 6 Light Island Light in Brushed Nickel · More Info

Bulb Base: GY6.35 / Xenon-Krypton bulbs included, 20 watts each.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

They say the bulbs show a bit - W 42" / D 8" / H 8.5"

Latitude 4 Light Island Light in Brushed Nickel · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/latitude-4-light-island-light-in-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~121007348

• smu techi thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Hey...

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

still here torn about what to do

• kim k
    5 years ago

Get a wood fruit bowl from your local target... cheap, warm and virtually unbreakable! We have a two tiered metal one but I don't think that goes with your kitchen.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

You need a backsplash with a bit of pattern, texture and color (green). No white. Then as suggested some woven shades and not mini blinds. Add more of the green color you like in the chair seat cushions.

The biggest problem I see on these forums is how so many are afraid of color thinking that it will be a negative when selling. If done thoughtfully and not using a garish color, it will wind up actually being a positive.

smu techi thanked cpartist
  • smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

like idea of wooden bowl- been to peir1, homegoods, tjmax, eben kohls but did not fine one i luv:(

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

agree that i need a backsplash, not confident enough to go with the glass look...I would do it with acrylic to keep $$ down if i do that option

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

as for blinds, we just spent on the wooden ones we have so not gonna change that out yet they are 2 1/2 inch white ones

also for color definitely want to bring more, was thinking in terms of fabrics, maybe vases over sink or something on counter

• crystalpea
    5 years ago

Try crate and barrel or CB2 for wooden bowls, they each have a few options.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Wonder what this would look like just lower area, and only up to stove hood - green and other young looking / change in 10 years etc...

Beautiful flower motif with ovals and penny rounds. Whimsical, slightly iridescent. The blends are made so that each sheet fits into the next for a perfect seamless installation... any surface for whimsy, artsy, garden feel.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/12x12-daisy-gardens-centers-brown-prvw-vr~43622991[(https://www.houzz.com/products/12x12-daisy-gardens-centers-brown-prvw-vr~43622991)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Not a pro so just playing but when ideas flow you never know [where they'll lead] -- cause a few elements of the wall are vertical, I picture tile running vertical. Maybe the 3D kind above and below stove, and the plain on remainder of the wall. Statement - if whole room would suit that. With the brown could be a bit sophisicated.

Vintage Light Blue 3D 3"x9" Polished Ceramic Subway Tile Sample · More Info

Vintage 3"x9" Ceramic Subway Wall Tile, 42 Pieces/ 6.32 Sqft/ Box, Light Blue · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/byzantine-alice-blue-ceramic-subway-tile-prvw-vr~128561052

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Subtle on entire wall - and the idea has grown on me, but I can't be there in person. Would seem to suit your counters.... ?

Geomento Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/somertile-1758x1758-geomenta-ceramic-floor-and-wall-tiles-set-of-5-prvw-vr~58802634

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I much like fabric in a kitchen with all the necessary hard surfaces. Could be bold cause it's so easily bought if tired of it --

Swavelle Fabric Twiggy Cadet Blue Green Gold Large Floral Upholstery Fabric · More Info

• everdebz
    5 years ago
  • smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

like that idea of 3d tile as focus wall of hood-think we can get grover to moch it for me?? please??

like that fabric, though not sure i would do it with the blue- need courage for that one, but where and how... i'm lost

• everdebz
    5 years ago

:) I hear ya, grover come over!?

You like the first blue ….?

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Most have liking for different looks, and thing is to further one of them in the right place .... so what does your house look like cause that matters....

as always said: gather magazine photos and save houzz photos, and see what your room goes with... and what do you like. Save and others could see too, and talk a bit... yeh?

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

def like first over second. looking for more of a fresh spring look.

my house is what i would call practical and transitional. with five kids around practicality is a first

posting some photos of dining room- yea i know scotch guard in amazon cart to remove plastics:) and mirror was put up over furniture so table is not covered any more..

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Why are you afraid of putting in a colored backsplash? Yes fabric will help but the majority of the kitchen will still be white and brown.

• smu techi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here are better shots to show the color of the cabinets (sorry about birthday pics:))

• J Williams
    5 years ago

I kind of get the impression you get paralyzed by self doubt/have trouble making a final decision. You said your mom picked out your kitchen cabs/counters? (I think), maybe she can help with some of the other stuff? Or find some pictures of ideal kitchens and use them as a template? You’ve got to make just one choice at a time, and your kitchen is working as it is. All the other stuff that is not attached to the structure of the house is just incidental, and you can add it with time as you need it, so you pick up the wrong fruitbowl, use it to store dog biscuits or crayons, pot a cactus into it or regift it to someone else. Have you gone to your local tile shop(s)? Do you have a contractor you are working with? I know people are always knocking tradespeople and sales help but if they’ve been in the business for a while, they have experience to offer you. And sometimes narrowing the options down makes things easier, by budget, installation cost whatever.

smu techi thanked J Williams
  • Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    good point about trusting others...get a pro, and what do others think about even curtain/decor place come for a free assist? you ought to consider the rest of the nearby rooms...large DR: what look, color rug, and also windows ! I get the money and permanent backsplash - so go with good paint behind stove, sink.
    smu techi thanked Deb Zilch
  • Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    I like toasty like your cabs. are the wood floors quite dark, and what kind of sun in room? curtains or a painted console could repeat coloretc in kitchen
  • just_janni
    5 years ago

I always think that in a kitchen the first thing to add for color (and practicality) is the kitchen aid mixer! With a wooden bowl of fruit, and a funky backsplash - you'd be DONE without cluttering the place up and making it hard to wipe those lovely counters in a flash!

smu techi thanked just_janni
  • Susan Marie
    5 months ago

Backsplash with color…window treatment with color..