Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Wish list for roses from outside of the US

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Today I had an instagram messaging with Don Merrick, the head grower at Heirloom Roses, and he said he will look into the possibility of getting roses from outside the US so US rose growers can have access to them. He asked me for a wish list. Here is the Instagram link if you want more information https://www.instagram.com/p/BtAIQ97HIPL/

Even though this is just a starting point and maybe it won't be doable; however, I love the possibility. Please let me know your wish lists of roses from outside of the US and I will combine them together and email him. My top two right now is Rainy Blue and Lapis Lazulii (Lapis Lazulii looks like a Spirit of Freedom in lavender. It takes my breath away!) Helen

Comments (69)

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Purple Lodge -- I remember being bowled over by a photo of that on one of the threads here -- the internet tells me its other name is 'Palais Biron' (wherever that is, now I suppose I will have to look that up, too).

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked monarda_gw
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Ooh yes, Frances - I agree that Purple Lodge is a keeper and it's nicely hardy in zone 5 for me. It isn't always as dark a purple as in cooler weather, but it never pinks as much as roses like Ebb Tide.

I also love all the suggestions of great old fashioned types of roses to broaden out the offerings and keep variety in the gardening styles of rose growers in the US.

Cynthia

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Centifolia Bullata (please!) and another vote for Conditorum -- if they could find a good, fragrant one. For some reason the Beale's site lists it as having little to no fragrance, which seems contradictory to the rose's history.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • monarda_gw
    5 years ago

About Conditorum -- it is described as being very fragrant. On the other hand Gallica roses were bred for use in the workshop and kitchen and they were known for holding their fragrance and color when dried or preserved not for being fragrant on the bush so it is possible that Beale's referred to that. I also have a hunch, just a hunch, that the plant may not be excessively vigorous in terms of disease resistance. But I would like to find out for myself.

• User
    5 years ago

The scent is a bit musky as I recall, but not too much there... I wish the blooms lasted a bit longer on the bush, they blow quickly... but no serious disease issues.. I thought Vintage Gardens had it..?

...another call for Rainy Blue... you would think Tantau Europe would be offering it... I reckon they would sell out within a day...

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked User
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Alas, vintage is no more. I don't know who took their stock when they closed. I think there's still a garden one can visit and there are plant sales from time to time.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Thanks, Malorena, for the clarification on the vigor of Conditorum. I still think it would be of interest to cooks and herb gardeners.

• ZZ+G - Zone8
    5 years ago

How about "Mamy Blue"?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked ZZ+G - Zone8
  • SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    5 years ago

seconding Camille Pissarro!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • monarda_gw
    5 years ago

I know this thread is mainly about modern unobtainables, but I just wanted to raise the question of whatever happened to Petite de Hollande, the dwarf centifolia that used to be recommended for small gardens that didn't have room for the (supposedly rather ungainly) bushes of the larger centifolias? Petite de Hollande used to be in all the catalogs -- until it wasn't. It seems to me there would be a market for it, perhaps for an imported, non-virused one, if by chance the problem was that American ones had become virused.
    And then there is that unicorn, the spinossissima hybrid Paula Vapelle, though from experience I would prefer a grafted version.

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

I would love something romantic and green like Elfe or Morpheus.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I emailed Don our wish list. He will get the ball rolling :) Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Thank you, Helen. I have a feeling this turned into a bigger project than you intended. We will have you to thank if any of our wishes come true.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you flowersaremusic and everyone for contributing to the list. If the wait is too long, it is an opportunity for some of us to start breeding roses that are similar to our wish list :) Helen

• pjkalisz
    5 years ago

If you do get a wish-list together, please include Cumberland Belle (Le Poilu). Thanks

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked pjkalisz
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Purple Lodge is a stunner. It seems desirable, especially since it seems not to pink in the heat as many roses do.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • philipatx
    5 years ago

Lots of good ones. ADAlinalu / Volare won many awards in European trials, though, as it is a pink climber, it might not command a high demand.

Augusta Louise (Tantau)

Admiral (Tantau)

Pink Paradise (Delbard)

All are probably worth putting through regional evaluations first, but have good reputations abroad.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked philipatx
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Philipatx, I didn’t put Augusta Louise on the list because Palatine offers it again. Many of us here got AG from Palatine last year. Helen

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Helen!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Thank you Helen! If you are corresponding with him, perhaps you might mention that there are also quite a few American roses that aren't being offered reliably by any nurseries at the moment, and which many of us would like to have (either not in commerce or never in stock). For example, even though RVR carries many roses bred by Paul Barden, they are never available. It would be nice to have another source for these roses (including Marianne, Treasure Trail, and Nightmoss). Kim Rupert's Annie Laurie McDowell is hard to get, and it would be great if Heirloom could try offering it. Also his "Lynnie."

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

KS, both Paul Barden and Kim Rupert are forum members. Have you tried to contact them through the forum to see what are their suggestions to make their roses more available to rose growers? Helen

5 years ago

I am waiting for a budded plant of Annie Laurie McDowell because of Kim and this forum -- but that was a one-off situation. I've also expressed interest to Paul, specifically looking for Marianne, and I thought he might be looking at alternative ways to get his plants out there (but I haven't asked this year). In general, I think it would be nice to see these plants available to the general public.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    5 years ago

I do not know if she has any cuttings that have matured enough for shipping, but, Burlington has Purple Lodge. I used my plant and experience with Purple Lodge to help in identity confirmation.

I would like to see Annie Laurie Mc Dowell readily available in the U.S. I gifted one to a rose-loving neighbor and have two growing in LV. Should anything happen to my plants, it would be nice to have access to a replacement. It is one of those roses that I would hope to grow in any garden I have... zone/climate willing of course... I think it is a "much loved" by many rose...

My wish list would include Blackberry Nip, Heidi Klum, Souvenir de Victoire Landeau, Wild Edric, Twice in a Blue Moon, and Radio Times

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • philipatx
    5 years ago

Thanks, Helen. I now see that I missed that in Cynthia/Nipstress' post. Purple Lodge was available at one point -- I think through Ludwigs, but did I read somewhere that Burling carries it? I think the Kordes are exclusively contracted now with Star roses, but I may be wrong. No doubt others on this forum are much more knowledgeable...

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    5 years ago

I would love to see more Barni roses, especially, Accademia, Romanza, Scent of a woman, Rinascimento. I would love to see more of the old Perpetual Hybrids that are available in Europe but not available here. Ludwigs--Never Ending Story, Just Imagine. I also love the roses from Warren Millington in Australia but who also has a nursery in Belgium. His roses are gorgeous! Heart to Heart is one of my many favorites of his. Hubba Hubba, Kudos, Plum Jam are all fabulous!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Raoul. Texas, zone 8
    5 years ago

First off, thank you for posting this! would love to see heirloom carry a couple more roses that are not usually found in the US. My wish list:

Coconut Ice

Afternoon Delight

Addictive Lure

Orangerie

Bengali

Aspirin

Bold Seduction

Betty Cuthbert

Elysium Fields

Those are some beautiful Roses I haven’t been able to find in the US, some Kordes and also some Meillands.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Raoul. Texas, zone 8
    5 years ago

I absolutely would like to see the Aspirin rose here. How did I forget that one? HMF lists it under a different name, but I've never seen it.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Until the sweet little Aspirin Rose becomes available here, a good substitute is Morden Blush.
    The blooms are similar and it is also a smallish bush with a bonus of being hardy to z3. Mine never even have tip damage. The first 2 pages of photos on HMF are darker than the ones in my garden and at Northland's test gardens. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.21823 and http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.135758.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

thank you flowers, they had that at HD last year and I didn't know how it would hold up to BS. I may have access to a cutting of it this year, so we'll see. I like to grow most things to 5 just to be safe.

• llailiall
    5 years ago

I'm extremely interested in Empereur Charles IV, see link belowhttp://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.320633

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked llailiall
  • steelrosez9sfbay
    4 years ago

Any updates from Heirloom? Late to the party but my dream roses are from Tantau --

Nostalgie

Chippendale

Aspirin

Modern Art

Soul

Colleen

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked steelrosez9sfbay
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Steelrose, if HeirloomRoses has any of the roses we’ll see them from their website :)

KS, you mentioned that you wanted Treasure Trail and Nightmoss. I saw Rogue Valley Roses is showing them as in stock. Helen

https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/treasure-trail™

https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/nightmoss™

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 years ago

A year late -- but I'd love to see Nostalgie by Tantau!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We just keep checking on multiple nurseries to see any "rare" roses available and share the info here.

One good trend I notice is we start seeing US breeders release more multi-packed petal roses like "Like No Other" (J&P purple), "AA109-5" (J&P pink), "AA186-7" (J&P yellow)... I also start reading breeding new roses so I can create my own wished roses :) Thanks to all the generous rose breeders who gladly share their experience. Helen

4 years ago

I just saw this! Thanks Helen!

4 years ago

Nightmoss is out of stock now, but I did manage to get Treasure Trail! If anyone is looking for Siren's Keep, that is listed as in stock (but you have to search for it -- it isn't coming up among the Barden roses on the link on their homepage).

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is RVR link to Siren's Keep and its HMF . Helen

• steelrosez9sfbay
    4 years ago

Late to the party but another vote for the Tantaus--- Soul, Nostalgie, Chippendale, Modern Art

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked steelrosez9sfbay
  • philipatx
    4 years ago

Tantau's Pastella, and Giardina, for those who enjoy (purportedly) very healthy fully double cupped and fragrant blooms. Probably better-behaved than their English counterparts, and I think the first one of those was awarded ADR status.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

FWIW, for those of you wanting Nostalgie, I got mine from Palatine in 2017. I haven't seen it in their offerings since then, but it has been in their catalog in the past so hopefully they still have the mother plant. We were able to get Augusta Louise added back to their catalog with gentle but persistent requests (and promises to buy them out), so perhaps some reminders of interest might be appropriate here. There have been some issues that Palatine has reported with the authorizations to sell from Tantau however, that are not under Palatine's control, so be patient if it doesn't work out.

Cynthia

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Alana8aSC
    4 years ago

Gleen Dale

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Alana8aSC
  • Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

I would buy Ertugrul 1995 Hiroshi Ogawa Japan Old Garden Rose, shrub.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

I would also include Lioness GrandiRosa a climber by Kordes. And Heidi Klum!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • the_bustopher z6 MO
    4 years ago

I have a list also. They are:

Feuerzauber

Summer Holiday

Plum Crazy

Lydia (Kordes shrub)

Orange Flower Circus/Orange Veranda

Too Hot to Handle

Rainy Blue

City of Auckland

Cloud Dancer

some of the others on the already mentioned above lists

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

I want to import some Chinese roses in a Happy Chinese New Year thread. Not sure how to do it yet, I guess I could start with contacting the breeder If it’s doable.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Summer, that's a great idea. I'd like to join you on your orders if it's doable. You should ask someone who can speak Chinese to help you since the breeder may not speak English. Helen

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

bayarea girl, It sounds good, I will keep you updated. Breeder Ping Lim must have the Chinese breeder’s info, they both were speakers at last year international rose event in China. I will start from there. :-)

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Summer, excellent idea! Helen

4 years ago

Keep us updated!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago