Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alice_brassard

Living room help needed

Alice Brassard
5 years ago
I have a small living room with very tall ceilings and windows. We live in the country so don't really need any curtains. My design dilemma's are as follows:

1. I want to replace the TV console with a much larger console. Any ideas on what style I should go with?

2. I was thinking of moving the two pictures above the TV to both sides of the large picture window. Any thoughts on this? And if I do this what should I put above the TV? should the TV be wall mounted?

3. Not sure what to do about the tall corner table with the flower vases. I feel like I need something tall there like maybe a plant but don't know if these vases are working or not.

4. Is the lamp on the glass coffee table correct? If not I would appreciate any advice on what type of lamp would be best for that corner.

5. Furniture placement is also puzzling to me. Should I move the couch and replace it with the two chairs. Unfortunately that's about all I can do with the furniture place net due to the location of the TV on the only solid wall.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Comments (33)

• latifeh hammad
    5 years ago
    Yes place the couch across from the tv and you need a bigger table lamp something to accommodate the big room as for tv you can use a wall mount and then put your are work next to the tv like your tv in the middle
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Lo-Hi Residence · More Info

I would do the drapery all at the same height.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Maybe try the glass topped table next to the white chair.

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The chairs are brown. I like the idea of the curtains.
  • lvl133
    5 years ago

If you like your coffee table more than your tv stand, hire or have the handier half of "we live in the country" build a coordinated media shelf across that entire wall for the glass lake/waterfall effect. scoot the hard arm chair somewhere else.

maybe flip the dark chairs with the light sofa so optimal view in the big windows.

Nix all curtains if you're country.

• jck910
    5 years ago

This room looks familiar?? Which do you prefer to sit on while watching TV? Chairs or sofa? Your preference should face the TV. I would get the TV console at least 32" high and maybe 72" wide, It will fill up the wall nicely. As much as I love yellow (personal favorite) it really isn't the right accent for the other choices in your room. It's too bright and all on 1 side of the room.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for some great suggestions.
  • Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    jck910 I agree that a much larger tv console would be the best. So that means that I will need to get rid of the two pictures above the TV.
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I would remove the pictures from those frames and put them in slim metal frames. Then hang them stacked vertically with a hand's breadth between them. What is opposite the sofa?

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    decoenthusiaste. Across from sofa is a narrow passageway backed by the railing for the downstairs.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That TV and media console look pretty wimpy. Yes to a larger console; but how about a larger TV as well?

I'd lose the Bergere chair. If you want a chair there, make it an upholstered armchair for lounging and conversation.

Curtains would definitely soften that window wall. You don't have to ever close them.

There's something a bit off about the rug. I think it's a hair too small, but could still work if it were centered on the two chairs. It looks like one of the chairs is sitting half off the rug.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Yes to reframing the pictures and hanging them vertically. I like the way they go with the vases. If your media console is long enough, the vases might go on one end with the art hung on the other side.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Change position of sofa to where chairs are. I’d hang linen sheers just under archway and on other windows, they can be pulled to the side. Have you thought of a wall mounted console, great for smaller rooms then put you art either side of tv or one above the other on one side of tv
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle. I really like the longer tv console and we certainly are considering a bigger tv as well. The green accent chair is a nice touch as well. I had only focused on yellow accents to date.
  • pat1250
    5 years ago
    Following
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Fabulous look, grover! Woof, woof!!

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Would appreciate comments on this TV console unit.
  • gustaruygers
    5 years ago
    Not sleek enough and to dark. Go with something similar that Groveraxle posted.
  • Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So I moved the furniture around as per some suggestions. I will definitely be replacing the tv console, getting a bigger tv and taking down the pictures above the tv and mounting them separately. Any suggestions for adding a lamp and decor accents to this living room. Thanking all of you in advance.

Alice
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    The pictures above the tv are too large to flank the big picture window.
  • latifeh hammad
    5 years ago
    Just don't forget to change the table lamp in the corner and get a bigger e
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here are some tweaks in the meantime. You could move the TV to the end of the rug and hang your two frames vertically. This would probably give the chairs a better view of the screen.

The opposite corner needs a much bigger lamp. Use a floor lamp and then move the end table forward so the sofa and chair both can use it. You might also paint some of your dark dark furniture to lighten it up.

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    following....nice view
  • latifeh hammad
    5 years ago
    Perfect design
  • Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    groveraxle Another thought I had was to maybe replace that tall corner table with a tall green plant.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

A plant would be great, but you must keep the fabulous vases.

• Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle what is your opinion on this console table as a tv stand?
  • Alice Brassard
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle Can you please tell me where can I purchase the lamp you suggested in this photo? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
  • ilesliemy
    5 years ago
    What an inviting light filled space!