Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_svensson_81

Can an ugly kids bath be revamped?

So, I don’t have a budget to make any real changes, that is, floor cabinet stays, floor tile stays, tub stays. I will get rid of the wall cabinet because it’s just horrendous.

I will repaint the walls, but not sure what color would help this space.

I normally have nothing against white cabs but I don’t like them here. Would they look better in maybe a matte or satin dark gray? Some new hardware?

the countertop stays as well so between the floors and the counter I suppose that will dictate the other elements.. pics below (nevermind the junk, it’ll go)

Comments (49)

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

Just to be clear: the bathroom IS going to be a kids' bathroom or it "was" a kids' bathroom? How old are the kids? Boys/girls?

• annied75
    5 years ago

I don't think the gray will look good with the beige tones in your flooring and counters. I would leave the vanity white and paint the walls and change out the shower curtain. Those two changes will make a big impact.

Rich Jewel Tones · More Info

Boho Bouquet Shower Curtain · More Info

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

I love that blue, Annied. It's perfect. Jennie, I think you should keep the white cabs and dark hardware, update the faucet so it's dark/matches the knobs. Maybe get more modern cabinet knobs or pulls. I agree with putting up a more vibrant shower curtain, that's a fun easy fix. Blues in general will probably work great with that countertop color.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you- we love blue! the barh is for my 3 yo girl but wed like to keep it kind of grown up. Her room is light gray walls with dusty pink and moody blues for accents and white furniture, so the transition with the white cabs and blue might work well.

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Like! So then, maybe go with brass or a brushed/soft gold color for the hardware. More girly and updated, would be lovely with the blue, dusty rosy colors and beige-ish granite counter. Also....some of the bathroom wall decals for kids are super cute and if you give it a little thought about the colors and where you put 'em, they won't look tacky. They'll look whimsical. And are removable!

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

Throwing it out there, just send it on back if it doesn't stick (no pun): are you open to wallpaper?

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love wallpaper, as long as it’s budget friendly.. :)

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

This would be cute and NOT permanent: www.polkadotwallstickers.com They have other shapes. You could even do a little "frame" around the edge of the mirror.

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

I also heart wallpaper. But you have to commit. These are wallpops rose gold stickers.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Aaah, love those! Thank you so much, that will surely work and will add a little bit of fun. So, I’m looking for wall colors in teal ish. any of these work you think? Not sure what to look for to make sure it works with the beigey tones..

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

If you'll hang on a bit, I'll paint your room for you. On my monitor, it looks really yellow. Might consider changing the bulbs to something between 3000 - 5000 k.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you- and yes, the former owners loved that yellow light.. it’s all around the house. I’ll change it. :)

• annied75
    5 years ago
    The color I posted above is Benjamin Moore Stained Glass
  • Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    her rid of the blinds. let the kid pick the shower curtain and pick the most neutral color from your floor and counter that goes with your tone of white counter. keep it simple but let the kid have a say and make bath time fun for her in something she picked out.
  • Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Kerry, thank you! YES-the blinds, what in the world where they thinking!?! :) And for my little one helping In the design..In theory I like that idea. In practice, I’d end up with a bathroom with princess pink walls, with glue-on-candybars, Mickey Mouse stickers everywhere (mom, why don’t you want one more ?? when I’m covered in about 10 of them already.. ) )pieces of puzzles, a train track on the bathtub side and a hammock for bathtime naps (great idea!)..LOL, but I like your idea of neutral tones as well. and I promise, I’ll let her pick out stuff like towels and accessories. :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

If the color in your photo is accurate, teal walls look like this:

If the toilet and tile are white, then color corrected it looks like this and you could paint any color you like:

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow!! Yes, it’s like in the second picture! I’m blown away though. Need to change those bulbs ASAP!! Thank you!

• Lisa G.
    5 years ago

You had me at "hammock."

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

IMO if you can't have fun with a bathroom where CAN you?? You have neutral elements so go nuts. Houzz has amazing shower curtains. I have one at my cabin that Has a sloth in the role of "baby" from dirty dancing being lifted out of the lake by Patric swayze. My kids bathroom has a huge elephant holding a red balloon here are some more with teal and pink polkas in mind:

Also:

• Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    just leave the walla plain and let her pick the shower curtain. who cares if its mickey sticker s everywhere? shes 3!
  • Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@greenfish, thanks! You are absolutely right! I love that octopus one, it’s a bit scary too.. :) th punk bird is fun too! I’ll take a look at some fun options for the shower curtain for sure!

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@kerry, well, I’ll think about what I can have her decide. It is a nice idea to have her more involved..

• Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    I think you can keep it looking very adult and very fun
    maybe pick your favorite 3 things and let her go from there :) bathrooms are fun!!
  • fissfiss
    5 years ago
    I was going to suggest a hamper/seat on wheels for the comfort of the grownup monitoring bath time....but then I realized wheels in the bathroom with a three year old would be hazardous! But you do have that nice spot to store a perch.
  • Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

sea salt by sw

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@fissfiss Gosh, the kids would love it on wheels! But you’re right, it’s a good idea to have a little stool of some sort and it can so easily be stored under the vanity filling that empty space. Thank you!

• rpwoodard
    5 years ago
    I LOVE the teal walls!

Another option to consider is changing the color of the floor grout to match he tile color. This product is available at Home Depot & The Tile Shop. Instructions are on Pinterest.
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

I would not go white-white with the cabinets, but an off-white that leans a bit toward beige or vanilla, due to the color of the stone and tile. Or you could go blue with the cabinetry.

Is this bathroom off of her bedroom, or in the hall? I would use the same blue that you have in her bedroom if it adjoins the bathroom. You have more choices if it is a hall bath.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Nancy, I like the idea of blue cabinets too. Either way, I will have to paint the cabinets because the paintjob on there now is pretty bad. This bath is off her bedroom. Do you think a dark, muted blue might work?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Dark blue, a bright navy, would look great, hide fingerprints, and translate in to an adult bathroom

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So it’s either coor on the vanity or on the wall.. I’m cleaning the dirty pink/yellow grout lines today, they really throw me off.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

No do both!! find a curtain to inspire you and pull the colors out. I love navy, apple, and pink:

• Kim L
    5 years ago
    A cheap and easy way to upgrade the mirror is to add trim around it like this:
  • Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Aaah! So many options! :) I do love that green and blue together, really pretty!

And framing the the mirror is a good idea, it has som weird ugly ‘clips’ now to hold it in place I suppose.

Well, grout is cleaned and it improved the look a little.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Well it's no wonder you hate that bathroom with the beigey every thing feeling. Another favorite move of mine is - a dramatic ceiling:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

It looks like you took this morning's photos with just daylight so we can see the white is actually white. Replace your light bulbs BEFORE you paint so you can see how it will look in real life.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Maybe choose your shower curtain first, as well. I like Valentina Ramos at Deny Designs, but look around at their other artists, too.

A few more looks for you:

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ah, nice! I like that darker paint! I also thought about a very pale warm dusty pink for the walls, almost like a blush white.. with dark navy cabinet and brushed brass pulls... found some inspiration in these photos

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Nice! What color of blue is already in her bedroom?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy, she has some dark blue and teal right now so picking one of them for the cabinet maybe...?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here's pink and navy. I'd keep the vanity light.

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yup, seeing this I think darker walls and lighter vanity for sure!!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

So many great ideas!

However, regarding framing the mirror, it's not easy with those clips in place. I'd just leave as is rather than risking removing the clips and replacing with washers (as some have done) or hollowing out your frame.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    5 years ago

Never had folks complain about
    "Ugly Kids..."

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@avanti, I haven’t heard you speak or write Swedish yet but when you try we can compare notes. :)

• rpwoodard
    5 years ago

@Jennifer, I LOVE how you transformed your grout just by cleaning. No need to change the grout color! Is there a way to seal the grout to keep it looking as it does now?

• Jennifer Svensson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

it really needed a good scrub . I’m sure there are products to seal it and I will look into that for sure. I think over the years a lot of the grout has been worn down and a lot of the dirt now collects in the sunken grout lines..