Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksal2010

Bosch versus Jenn Air versus Kitchen Aid? Any others to consider?

ksal2010
5 years ago

We have been looking for a new gas range. We have a budget of up to around $3000. We looked at a few options this weekend but are so confused. Many seem to have people who love them or hate them. Our primary concern is safety. Ideally we want something long lasting. Our current gas range has a bad track record of unsafe broken values and knobs. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice from the forum. Thank you!

Here are some we are considering but we'd be open to others as well!

https://www.abt.com/product/77855/Bosch-30-800-Series-Gas-Slide-In-Stainless-Steel-Range-HGI8054UC.html

https://www.abt.com/product/77856/Bosch-30-Benchmark-Series-Gas-Slide-In-Stainless-Steel-Range-HGIP054SS.html 

https://www.abt.com/product/109121/Jenn-Air-30-Pro-Style-Stainless-Steel-Slide-In-Gas-Range-JGS1450FP.html 

https://www.abt.com/product/90142/KitchenAid-30-Stainless-Steel-Slide-In-Gas-Range-KSGG700ESS.html 

Comments (14)

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

My advice; buy major appliances from a local independent vendor who services what they sell. Yes, the Big Box stores have better pricing BUT, their "service warranty" can't compare to the independents.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Go to a showroom that has live demo models and try them out. I used to own a Jenn-Air gas range but my big complaint about it was that I couldn't get the flame small enough to maintain a simmer. Bosch is generally very reliable. I'd also look at Dacor and GE Monogram.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Look for features that best fit your needs...not any particular brand. The love/hate you mentioned is there for everything out there.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

The big box stores do NOT necessarily have the lowest prices. We saved about $600 from a $3500 appliance purchase by shopping a local store over Lowe's/Best Buy/HD. Be sure to catch a big sale event, we shopped President's Day

• printesa
    5 years ago

You might want to take a look at Blue Star. They are within your range and they perform very well

• ksal2010
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it! We will most likely buy from Yale in MA as they are near us and have a great reputation. They also service their own appliances and have the ability to upgrade to a 5 year warranty. I just included the links above to show the ones we have been looking at. Neither my husband nor I have expertise in cooking. We prepare lots of foods that aren't fancy and cook lots of pasta dishes with various kinds of sauces. We use the stovetop frequently for dinner (often multiple burners going at once) but also maybe once a weekend tend to cook something in the oven like casseroles/side dishes, quiches, muffins cookies etc. We had a whirlpool gold range with a double oven previously (we liked the double ovens around the holidays) but don't seem to see as many double oven free standing/slide in ranges now so are okay moving away from one. The knobs were thin lightweight plastic so they often broke. We do have some pretty big heavy stovetop pans and sometimes find it is hard to fit them side by side on our current range.

• justlol
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I was looking at purchasing the Kitchen Aid too, but what I didn't like was the location of the electronic control pad for the oven. I would have the same issue with the Jenn-Air. Why is it on the top so close to the burners?

• venmar
    5 years ago

Please be aware that both the Kitchenaid and Jennair you linked have the Aqualift "self-clean" system which does not work and forbids the use of chemical oven cleaners, look up Aqualift here to see many unhappy owners reports. Some Kitchenaid owners have experienced blue enamel chipping. Whirlpool, and I expect related Maytag, and Jennair DO have some double oven Gas ranges with real Pyrolytic high heat Self-Clean which actually does work. I would also look at GE and Frigidaire models.

• ksal2010
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just checked out GE Cafe and this one looks interesting - it has 6 burners and several seem pretty powerful. Any thoughts on this one versus the Bosch? This one is currently on sale for $2500 and seems to have some of the same features as the higher end version of the Bosch that is $2850.

- https://www.poiriersales.com/products/GE-Appliances/ge/cgs986selss.html#prettyphoto[product_img]/9/

• wekick
    5 years ago

6 burners seems like that would be a lot to fit on a 30" top unless you use small pans.

even the 5 burner can be a lot but at least with one burner in the center, you could use a bigger pan there without hanging off. If you have 18-21 K BTU capped burners, how wide is the flame?

My DIL has a Bosch all gas range and loves it. It has 5 burners. I use it occasionally and the oven preheats pretty quickly. I am mostly heating something for the kids so not sure how it bakes, but frozen pizzas come out pretty good!

• justlol
    5 years ago

I made the decision to order the GE Cafe 30" duel fuel with 6 burners. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on the pros or cons. I bought through a local dealer in my town, but I went on build.com and compared all the ranges I was interested in and decided this was the one for me. Hope I'm right!!

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Good selection as I’ve had GE in the past with no issues. My recent range is the Bosch and I love it. Only reason for the switch from GE to Bosch was look, features and matching finish to other Bosch appliances. Both worked equally well so I wish you the best. Note the Bosch are result of complete model. Old GE was passed to a friend. It was an older color not stainless as I have now
  • ksal2010
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We decided on the GE cafe double oven range and bought it from a local vendor. It will arrive in 2 weeks. Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the advice!!