Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoria_pont

Need suggestions for Kitchen Remodel

Adelaine
5 years ago
Our kitchen was built in 1970 and is falling apart. We would like to remodel it without spending too much money. It’s not a big kitchen 19’x13’ area. I uploaded photos of how I would like the new kitchen would look like. Same floor plan with what we have right now except moving the fridge to the left so it’s not close to the door towards the dining room. Anyway, after receiving a quote $12K for just the cabinets (maple, full length cabinets) without installation. The only roll out (4) I have are for the tall pantry (I know they are pricy), the rent are just drawers and open cabinets with shelves. With the quote, I’m considering other options, ideas. Should I do open shelving? Where should I put them? Any ideas or suggestions on how to save or make a change on my new plan would be great.

Comments (13)

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ran what do you mean aisle width? Sorry, I’m not very good at this. My island would be 60”x33” but without any seating. We have a dining room that seats 8 and a kitchen table (just to the right; not showed on floor plan). I think that’s enough. I never thought about IKIA, thanks. Also, on the first picture, the door towards the dining room isn’t centered. I have a feeling it would look funny when things are done. We can move the door a little bit that would be a lot of work.
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I live in a home from the 70's. My kitchen space is different, but many of my neighbors have similar to yours. In my area, that island is usually a skinny 2 ft. island with no seating. While the extra counter space is nice, it often creates a barrier and makes it hard for two people in the kitchen. That said, I have an island in my kitchen, but it is an L shaped kitchen, so the island has seating and is not a barrier. If you want seating at the island / a bigger island, you will need to reduce the cabinetry on the fridge wall. The fridge will have to go there as I don't see another place. (Mine is a cabinet away from the sink on the sink wall, but I don't think you have the space). You may be able to do the fridge with a small cabinet next to it with a bit of counter for a landing space when removing items from the fridge. I would also put the microwave there - either a countertop one - if you are short like me - or in a microwave cabinet. That allows you to put in a true vent over the range. You could skip the other cabinets on the fridge wall on the other side of the doorway. The counter here is too far away to be useful in prep - unless you plan a coffee station or similar. You could replace it with a piece of furniture (like a hutch, pie-safe), a closet or coffee station made of furniture rather than matching cabinetry.

Part of these decisions require you to evaluate how much space and storage you need. My kitchen is smaller, but I fortunately have some extra storage in my laundry room - just a few steps away - and I live close to the grocery store and have time to go grocery shopping during the week. If I had your space, I would be very tempted to lose some of the cabinets around the window - and spend more $ making the window larger - probably not budget friendly advice. I just love the kitchens I see with less uppers and more windows. Sometimes that is not practical though.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @marie I love the idea of making the window big but we just had that done so I’ll probably just keep it that way. I don’t really need any seating on the island because there would be no room. You’re right, I don’t really need to match the cabinets on the far corner, and we don’t really need it because we don’t drink coffee to make it a coffee bar or a bar. Just an extra counter space. I could probably just buy a nice hatch for that corner. Yes, I am petite and that microwave is a bit tall for me. Hahaha. My husband want to keep it above the stove because it came with an exhaust fan.
  • Noneya
    5 years ago

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel and my kitchen is very similar to yours. We are doing the demo ourselves (currently on week 3). I reveived 3 quotes for cabinets...all right around $13k. We ended up going through Cabinets to Go after seeing my cousins new kitchen with cabinets from them. they look great and seem to be good quality. Since we saved so much on the cabinets themselves, we hired someone to install them. Even with that, we saved more that half the price of the original quotes!

• damiarain
    5 years ago

I would definitely think about Ikea. Below is a picture of a similar layout (had to guess the various dimensions). But it's all drawers in the lowers and the cost of the cabinets/drawer units (no appliances or counters etc) is ~$7500.

Some thoughts:

-what goes in the space by the two windows? Are they high enough off the ground that a counter could run under them?

- I would avoid having the micro back over the range - you have that counter area to the left of the fridge - you could have a little snack/micro area there instead (and then install a proper hood for the range!)

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Damie There’s a big bay window on that side and in front of it is our kitchen table. Please, look at photos. On the other side (lower left cabinet with a counter has a big wall. I uploaded a picture with measurements. Thanks so much for your help.
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

Aisle width: distance from cab to cab or counter to counter in a walkway. It is the size (width) of the walkways around your island.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The measurement from floor to end of the window is 24”.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ran okay, thank you. Here are the measurements.
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

Let your husband know that the microwave exhaust fans are not very good at venting. A dedicated vent works much better. You also don't want to crowd the cooking area - both in the way the microwave itself crowds the range and in people using the microwave while someone is cooking. Many don't have another place for a microwave, but you do. If you really don't want it over the range, let him know its the place of last resort to the pros. I am not a pro, but I've been on this forum long enough to know what they think about the venting of over the range microwaves:)

One option is to be sure to remove the micro if you tile the backsplash and then put it back. Then when it breaks down you can get a hood later. Another is to be sure to reserve enough tile to fill in the area later if you choose to change out to a hood at a later date.

• Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @hj I cook a lot so a real exhaust fan would serve me well. They’re not very expensive and I can move my microwave on the pantry, sort of box it, and put it a little lower. Actually, I made a mistake when I said the quote was 12K with all the cabinets on my plan that presented to the contractor; it was as actually 20K with everything.
  • Adelaine
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi, everyone! I’m having a hard time picking a chandelier and backsplash for my kitchen. I need help with this. We picked a KraftMaid Maple Peppercorn cabinet, a Rocky Mountain granite, and the floor tile has a taupey light gray/brown tone in it. The hardware for the cabinets is satin silver. I picked the pendant but can’t decide which one. Thanks everyone.