Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colette_featherly

Front door and shutter color

cjh4q
5 years ago

All - we need to paint the faded shutters on this townhouse. The front door and shutters need to be the same color and darker than the trim (per HOA rules). We can keep the front door color and update the shutters or apply to change the color. I was thinking that maybe a black, navy or dark green might look better. Or perhaps a different beige. We can't do red b/c the next door townhome has red trim. The roof has brown shingles. Would black look okay w/ the roof? (Also, we will have the brick cleaned.) This is a rental but we may sell in the next year or two so the color needs to have a wide appeal.

Comments (10)

• cjh4q
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, the teal/turquoise is quite pretty but I doubt the HOA will approve it. The color has to match similar units on the street. So more traditional colors.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Give it a try! It's actually an historic color combo. Check out any of Benjamin Moore's or Sherwin-Williams historic colors and they will have a color similar to the ones above. BM's Jamestown Blue, HC-148 or Whipple Blue, HC-152 are great options!

And make sure to look up the actual rules of the HOA. If the requirement is just to have matching shutters and doors, then they can't tell you not to paint it this color. But if they have a prescribed palette from which to choose, let us know what that palette is so we can tell you the best option. Good luck.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I think your idea of a dark navy, a dark green or a black is always a classic. Any of the three would look excellent with your house.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I like the idea of the darker colors with your house too. Black is always a classic, and would look good. I am not fond of dark green, but, if it were a black green, it would also work for your house. Navy blue is also a good choice. Quite honestly, I really dislike what you have now for shutter and door color. It does absolutely nothing for the house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

creme shutters to match the trim.

• cjh4q
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@cat_ky - completely agree - I've never liked the current color. So now that we need to paint, it's a good time to switch it up.

Here are the HOA guidelines -

"The decision whether to approve each application will be based on a judgment as to whether the proposed change would be noticeably inconsistent or visually incompatible with the originally established color scheme of the applicant's property and surrounding neighborhood. Factors considered in this review will include the following:

Proposed colors must be visually indistinguishable from the original colors on one or more units of the same model located in the same neighborhood, and must correspond to the location of these original colors. For example, a proposed change of door color will be compared to the color of other doors in the same neighborhood.

Proposed color changes must not reverse or alter the degree of contrast between the unit's original colors. For example, a light color against a dark background must not be replaced with a dark color against a light background. An area originally a single color may not be painted different colors, nor may adjacent, different colored areas be painted the same color.

Proposed color changes must not alter the original degree of consistency between units in the same neighborhood. For example, where all shutters and doors on a row or section of town homes were originally painted identically, then none may be repainted a different color."

There is not a prescribed list of colors other than it needs to similar to the surrounding homes -- which generally have various beige trim colors and a mix of red, blue, black, green and brown doors and shutters. Some do have black shutters and a reds doors.

• cjh4q
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What do people think of something similar to these? I took google maps tour of the surrounding homes and several have dark/black shutters and red doors so I think dark shutters and a blue doors could work.

• houssaon
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Any those colors would look handsome on your stately house. I would rather see your gable end painted the same as the trim. It looks like it matches the shutters. Hope they don't make you match it, too.

Brick might benefit from a wash.

• cjh4q
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, the brick and sidewalk will be cleaned. The door faces north and is shaded so it gets a bit grungy. I don't think they would make us match the gable end to shutters - it is siding that matches the back of the townhouse.