Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megoodgal1

Tile Pattern and cutting symmetry

Margaret Keckler
5 years ago

Hello... I am a homeowner and need advice on a tile layout in shower and if tile should be cut to be symmetrical, or use one full tile and cut another short to fill in the space.

Ok, if I'm not being clear... I have a 40" shower wall and the tile I have to use is 6" x 24" white porcelain tile. So, I could use a full 24" tile and have a cut tile at about 16", or cut both tiles to 20" and they would be the same size then. Tile design is not my forte, I'm just trying to make it work with what I have!

The pattern is a stacked bond btw... so they would all be aligned, not staggered.

Thank you all in advance!!

~Margaret

Comments (5)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I only know that exposed pipes, faucets, spouts, shower heads, etc. should either be centered on a column of tiles or centered on a vertical grout line between tiles. -- amateur

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    5 years ago

Don't cut every tile; how will you handle the edges? Metal trim or bullnose?

• Margaret Keckler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is the wall with the showerhead; has a very narrow wall to the left (10") where the shower door is, and a long wall to the right. So, it is between two walls .
  • kudzu9
    5 years ago

Symmetry: two 20" pieces. No question about it.

Margaret Keckler thanked kudzu9
  • Margaret Keckler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, that was my initial feeling on that. Thank you.