Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bl082223

Need help with finishing touches in family room.

Lisa
5 years ago

We finally redid our family room with lots of help from Houzz. We painted walls/trim, replaced seating and bought some accent pieces. Finally starting to love the space but hit a wall w final finishes. I was going for the “greige color” concept but have I gone to monotone? Need help with lighting and opinions on swivel chair/accents? What should I change or add to make the space a WOW ROOM. (room has large french doors, big windows and 2 doors so limited on space. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (78)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Lisa, I'm OK with the size of the artwork on that wall, mostly because there's no good way to center art over the sofa, and because it makes a statement. Anything else you try to do on that wall is going to look unbalanced. I would keep the art just as it is.

Lisa thanked groveraxle
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Any chance the tv and stand would work on the blank wall?

Lisa thanked oaktonmom
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oaktonmon: thanks but unfortunately the entry door and closet door get in the way of placing the TV or furniture on that wall. Grover axle: Thanks for the rendering and your comments. It looks great. I can return the swivel chair for something that works better? Do you think I need too? If so any thoughts on color or size? I can not thank you enough

• add50317
    5 years ago
    throw blanket n pillows in brights
    Lisa thanked add50317
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

In addition to a table and lamp at the end of the sectional, I’d think about getting an arc lamp and place it in the corner behind the sofa.

Lisa thanked oaktonmom
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

I would just do a few tweaks like Grover showed. You need some accents. Pillows, coffee table, few decor items. I would replace your side table with an arc lamp. I didn't mind the chair in the room.

Yosemite Home Decor 1 Light Arc Floor Lamp in Satin Steel · More Info

Lisa thanked kulrn
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I do think you need a side table because not everyone is going to be able to reach the coffee table to set down a drink or whatever. Also, i think you need more than one eye level source of light in the room to balance things.

Lisa thanked oaktonmom
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago

I like what Grover did too, but agree that an arc lamp to bring some task lighting to that corner will be nice. And perhaps find a thin side table or a drink table for the next to the sofa. I have this one next to the chaise part of my sofa and it works for it's purpose (you could even put a small basket underneath it for magazines, etc).

Mona Aladham Side Table · More Info

Lisa thanked Gcubed
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

To me the proportion of the art coordinates with the proportion of the sectional, both larger size. And then the size of the artwork grover put on the entry way wall is also a larger size and coordinates very well. I also like grovers use of pattern and texture on the pillows, that helps with the solids everywhere else. With the coffee table being round it grounds the chair in the space and makes it look like it belongs. I hope you go with the round coffee table.

Lisa thanked katrina_ellen
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Lisa, when I see the swivel chair in this mock up...

...it looks fine to me. The proportions look right with the sectional, and a swivel there makes sense. Replacing the chunky ottomans with a table with less visual weight makes the space look less crowded. Since you are in the room, you are the only one who can judge whether or not the space is too tight.

Lisa thanked groveraxle
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

The table and lamp looks good for now. It ads warmth and draws attention to the art. Obviously it is just a placekeeper until you find something fantastic. I wouldn't sweat the ottomans for now either, I'd look for a fantastic overhead light. I have one like your current one in my family room, it is depressing because it is so heavy looking.

Lisa thanked l pinkmountain
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    5 years ago

Switching out the ceiling fixture to something like Grover showed would be my first move. I think some stationary panels on the windows would look nice too.

Lisa thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much I am on the hunt for side table and cocktail table and lighting (lamp, chandelier ( inspiration below) and possible arch lamp for corner). We removed the ottomans and for now the swivel chair (I am going to shop for a swivel that maybe is a better color). Any last words of wisdom in terms of the rug? Keep it or start over? see updated pic

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Look for an end table that comes just to the arm of the sofa or a hair below, not above. Get some metallics and creams in there; no more brown. Make sure you won't spear your head on that light on the ceiling.

Lisa thanked groveraxle
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks your renderings are so helpful. I really appreciate it!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

good point about the ceiling light. also I think I like the chandelier you had in the other layout better cadiz flush. thanks

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

I think the rug is fine, it has a mottled look and goes well with the art. I also prefer the other light fixtures, not gold anyways. I like the lighter color light fixtures. The light colors in general seem to lift the room IMO.

Lisa thanked katrina_ellen
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I think the rug works in size and color/pattern. Not sure I would go all out on a ceiling fixture. The more important lighting would be task lighting. Ceiling fixtures don’t give off the most attractive lighting. Spend your money on some great lamps.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks great advice I was not loving my selections so I decided to start over. I took the paintings down kept the rug and black tv console but starting over with balance of the room. see updated picture. The sofa is a Cool Grey Tone (wish I had picked something different now) but and I am thinking I need to forgo the “modern look” and try to warm it up with wood tones etc. I bought some more textural pillows from pottery barn. The console has a more earthy look in person because it is painted black wood so it can go either way. ugh so much more difficult then I expected. Keep the advice coming it really helps.

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

Are you going to get different art? I thought you loved the art? I don't think the cool grey sofa was a mistake, I like your sofa and rug and black console. Did you think it looked too crowded with just the grey chair and sofa (not the ottomans)? Its good to stop and pause and reassess before buying more things. Do you like the ottomans or would you rather do a coffee table?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Maybe some reclaimed wood.

The ottomans, IMO, are the things that really don't fit here.

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

That looks great grover. The wood tones really suit the colors in there.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I originally loved the art but quickly grew frustrated because it just felt cold. I am definitely replacing black ottomans w something else. They remain a place holder because my husband wants to put his feet up so I have to find a happy medium. I love how the wood tones look in Grover's last photo so I plan to continue to look. Last night I bought a couple of round pieces just to see how they looked . See updated photo. (I plan to try square table as well if I can find something good)
  • k9arlene
    5 years ago

It seems like you want to introduce an accent color in the room. That will determine what colors will be in your art. Do you have a preference? Yellow, Orange, Teal, etc?

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

I love the wood tones in the latest one grover posted, just don't know how the rectangle table would fit in the space. You could always tape the measurements out with painters tape on the rug to see how different shaped tables would fit. It would be nice if you could find something in those grayish wood tones.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The end table is nice, but too tall. It should be no higher than the arm of the seating it serves, in this case, the sofa.

I love how the dog is watching TV with the guys.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had an ottoman once that I had a tray on, I found that I only used it for an ottoman and the tray was a pain to keep removing. Guess you have to decide which is more important to how you want to use the room, an ottoman to put feet up on or a coffee table. I guess people do put their feet up on coffee tables though but I have not found it very comfortable, lol.

• User
    5 years ago
    But why did you have to keep removing it from the ottoman Katrina?
  • User
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle, I must ask you to do you work for an interior design firm?
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

Claire, I mostly ended up using it for my feet and the tray covered a lot of the ottoman so couldn't use it for both. It was a smaller sized ottoman.

• User
    5 years ago
    Oh ok that makes sense!
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all! Slowly getting there. I changed out the side table for something shorter that is reclaimed wood w dark iron legs. I like it better then the round and it has 3 piece so I can use them as snack tables when needed. This would allow me to utilize the appropriate ottoman. Grover- Do you think side table is correct size? And do you like square vs round. Latest pic attached. I am actually starting to like my sectional!
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I like the end table. Seems to be the right size and it can serve a dual purpose. I’m not crazy about the ottoman. The tufting doesn’t seem to fit in.

Lisa thanked oaktonmom
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

The nesting tables are good. I think the ottoman is too dark.

• User
    5 years ago
    I’m not crazy about the nesting tables.
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

Good concept for the ottoman, I like the airiness of the open legs, that always works great in a small space. I would agree with grover about something lighter in color though. I also like the idea of the nesting tables, very practical when you have an ottoman. I think the rectangular shape of the tables looks good with the circular shape of an ottoman.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks I am on the hunt for a lighter color ottoman and agree that the open base on the ottoman looks good.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

This color leather ottoman would look good in your room.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

What do the nesting tables look like from the side? I might try turning them so you can't see them all nested in there, lol. If they look good from the side, you could also pull one or two of them out a bit for a little more interest, but I wouldn't do that the way they are facing now.

Lisa thanked Olychick
  • User
    5 years ago
    What is the height of the arm chair?
    Lisa thanked User
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Do you plan to get window treatments?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks all! Pic attached of the nested tables turned to the side and the answers to some of the questions I got from you all. The nested tables are definitely functional. We used them right away but I can probably find better. The arm of the sofa is 23 inches and the nested table is 23 inches so in terms of size I think they work but maybe just a better style? I plan to change the lamp. (again I think I can find something better) and I continue to search for the right ottoman, wall art and ceiling light fixture. I think I might attempt black and white photos of my family in black frames like Grover has the layout that was posted. I picked up some other accessories (see 2nd pic) The TV still needs to come down. I am trying desperately to avoid window treatments and or wait until the end so make my decision on that. I want something very simple. maybe bamboo shades?

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I prefer the nesting tables the way you originally had them.

• User
    5 years ago
    I was thinking one of these for coffee table or maybe this for side table and last pic for it.
    Lisa thanked User
  • Joe
    5 years ago

Claire, did you find those two coffee tables here on Houzz or are they just photos?

Thank you.

• fifamom
    5 years ago

you need a pop of color in there.. pick one you like - orange, blue, white, yellow.. whatever color brings you joy and use it with your accessories - pillows, art, vases, flowers, etc..

• User
    5 years ago
    Joe, they’re from perigold
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

I would wait to put décor on the tv stand until the tv is lowered. I don't think the two identical objects will work when the tv is lowered. The grateful sign may work above the tv though. The lamp looks good for the size, although a more linear shaped lamp like Claire posted has a more modern sleek look.