Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austin_christina_connormaldonado

Half/ Master Bath Layout

We are working on remodeling a house and I am getting hung up on the master en suite. The house was originally built in 1955, and the main floor only had one bathroom (5'x8') in the hall. My wife would like to convert the original bathroom into a half bath (3'x8') and we can add a full master suite(free standing tub, shower, sink, toilet). The struggle we're having is locating fixtures in the room and a place for closets. Just some measurement info. The half bath will be 8' deep and 3' wide. The available space for the master is 13'7". The shower we want to save space is 38"x38". The tub will most likely be 63" L x 33.4" W x 21.6" H. Unless there really is room, i think we will want a single vanity (double would be nice but not sure if there is room).

Im really looking for some input on layout of the area in the attached picture. Im open to changing the layout of the half bath if it makes things easier and to improve the flow. Thanks guys and gals!

Comments (35)

• Jess TKA
    5 years ago

I might be missing something, but is there no space for a sink in the second bathroom for people to wash their hands after using the restroom?

Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked Jess TKA
  • Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There would be space, just not shown. But really I'm open to adjusting the layout and just looking for some constructive feedback. Here is what came up with so far.

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

do you have to fit a closet in this space too?

Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked Karenseb
  • calidesign
    5 years ago

I don't understand your plan at all. Why wouldn't you utilize all that extra hallway space into the bedroom or bathroom? That should give you more options. You really should consult a designer.

Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked calidesign
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really wish i could but i dont think it is feasible. I am the one doing all of the renovations and i would rather not cut another opening in a structural wall. The space outside the master bath is directly inside the bedroom and is functional enough. As for a closet. I am leaning towards doing built ins in the master along the wall across from the foot of the bed. here is a more defined layout. Any Comments??

• remodeling1840
    5 years ago
    The built in closets you think you want have less than 36” of hanging space each. Be realistic about the clothing you need to access. Where are sweaters, tee shirts, socks, shoes going to be stored? You are spending a significant amount of money and you will not have a place for your clothes. The bathroom is not balanced in relation to the size of your bedroom. You need to have a bathroom half the size and make the other half a closet.
    Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked remodeling1840
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, Maybe i did a terrible job at explaining my situation and why i am seeking advice here on Houzz but first let me say thanks to everyone who has responded with feedback.

We bought a house. I am currently in the middle of a full gut and remodel of the main floor. The finished attic space (second floor) has two beds and a bathroom and is not shown on my plans. this space will be delt with in the future.

The main floor originally had a single bathroom (sink, toilet, tub) that was approx. 5'x8'. That bathroom was gutted along with the master bedroom and a weird annex off the bedroom. What we would like to do is covert a little more than half of the original bathroom space into a half bathroom to service guests on the main floor and make a master bathroom/bedroom suite. After walling off space to make the half bath, i am able to reuse the old tub drain to make a 3'x6' walk-in shower for the master bath. I am left with approx. 90 sq ft (8'2"x11'2") for the rest of the master bath. I am trying to accommodate a free standing tub, double vanity and toilet. I am using a website called homestyler to make my floor plan and layout.

There is one window in the proposed space, it is on the east wall. The door will be a sliding pocket door to help save space. I would like that door to be near the entrance of the master bedroom off the hallway so that there is usable floor and wall space in the bedroom. Closet space currently not present and will be built by me. We dont have lots of clothing, as we both have capsul waredrobes (minimalists) so a walk-in seems a bit excessive. i plan to design and build some nice built ins in the master on both sided of the window at the foot of the bed where we will have our individual storage space. We will be able to hang clothes, store shoes, and have drawers for our smaller clothing.

Now with all that being said, i am looking for feedback on the layout and placement of the 3 items in the master bathroom (tub, toilet, sink). any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tub dims

63" L x 33.4" W x 21.6" H

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Do you absolutely need a tub?
    Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked jmm1837
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is one layout that I created and rendered.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m I licensed structural engineer so I know where my loads are going, I’m just not trying to make any more openings than I need to.

Here is a view from the bedroom
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Did you see the shower is already in place.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Shower is here
  • Karenseb
    5 years ago

Here are a couple of ideas that give you a closet. The second layout has a bigger closet, but you share the hall bath.

In the first layout, there is no room for a pony wall next to the toilet and you could use a hinge restrictor to keep the door from hitting the toilet.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Karen! THis is really helpful! I Will be using pocket doors to the master and half baths so that should mitigate the door hitting the pony wall. Adding the Half bath will give us a 25K increase in value in our area.

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

If you were to use an alcove type tub as Jan suggested, you could enlarge the shower to 3 X 5, shorten the vanity to 72 inches (if you grab one foot from the bedroom closet which is one foot deeper than it needs to be.)

You get an overall roomier feel in the bathroom. You can tile the front and side of the tub. You can do a short pony wall on the left side.

My brother is getting the Kohler Mariposa alcove tub. Looks very comfortable and is 36 X 66 inches.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago
    following
    Austin & Christina Connor Maldonado thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you Karen! I dont know why but an alcove tub to us just looks and sounds dated? But if that is what will help make the space feel larger, solve the cleaning issue, we can definitely look into that. Maybe a more rectangular freestanding tub could provide the same visual effect as an alcove? We feel that we are against traditional closets because they just become a dumping ground for stuff because its an easy place hide crap. We like the open closet concept but we like how you suggested using the "wasted" space in the master bed. Im also thinking of moving the master bed door way back a bit into the hallway. Ill post an update here soon.

Thanks again Karen!

Original Author
    5 years ago

• mmilos
    5 years ago

Make the closet space bigger. The master bath as proposed is a huge waste of space. The large shower tucked back in the corner with no windows would be a cave.

• Karenseb
    5 years ago

Here is another idea. This uses a drop in tub or undermount. The tub deck requires more space. A 4' X 7' space should allow you enough room for a tub deck. Inset the vanity into the closet to allow at least 3 feet between the vanity and tub.

The problem I have with where you have placed your shower is that I do not like the shower opening on the 3 foot end for various reasons. Where were you putting the shower head? Will you be able to turn it on and adjust the temp without getting wet?

Original Author
    5 years ago
    Karen, thanks for your insightful comments and recommendations.
  • Kelly Stcam
    5 years ago
    The design looks great. We have a similar layout in our 1950's house. Wondering what your budget was for this? Trying to figure out whether we can do everything we want to do.
  • Steven
    5 years ago
    Karen’s designs look great! Looking back at your original design in the original image with the post you originally made, I can see another option where the tub is length-wise across in front of the window. You can place your toilet in a room to the left of that with the door facing the bathroom entry door, shower next to it in the newly created alcove and a double sink next to the door on the same wall. You have plenty of space you can make your powder room 4’ wide and place a sink on the side wall. Also you complained that you don’t have much space, for a master bathroom, I think you have enough space. You don’t need a huge space for a functional and beautiful bathroom.
  • Amanda Schulz
    5 years ago
    I'm just really impressed with your use of the layout software because I just spent way too much time on trying to manage that!
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Kelly, I would say for this part of the project 30k. With that we’ve, demoed, rewired, replumbed(water, drain & gas), new lights, toilet, tankless, flooring, insulation, tub, drywall, roof (insurance deductible)... and I’ve done all but gas line, drywall and roof myself
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Add kitchen cabinets in there as well
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Some pics right before drywall
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Final Master bath renderings. Finishes will be different than pictured
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Converted the original first floor bathroom into a half bath and adding a full bathroom for a master suite
  • Steven
    4 years ago
    These final renders are nice. Would it be possible to add a door in front of the toilet to separate it? Unsure about clearances but since you’re concerned with property values, I think this will help. :)
  • gtcircus
    4 years ago
    As long as you have a tub in the house, you do not need a tub in the master. Are telling Houzzers that you or your spouse are taking bath at least several time a week? Versus a shower? Otherwise, put in an awesome shower, one that you WILL USE routinely. On that special occasion that your want a BATH, then you can use the bathroom upstairs. I have so many friends who spent lots of money on expensive bathtubs never to have used them in the 30 years they lived in the house.
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    This tub will be the only one in the house. The bathroom upstairs only has a shower. And yes I’m saying my wife would rather take a bath than a shower, helps her relax... happy wife happy life...
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Steven, right now we are going to have no door. If needed in the future, I’m thinking of a a half height swinging door, that I’ll make, think of saloon doors in the Wild West.
  • thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago
    Consider flipping the master bed arrangement so the bed is up against the window (it’s done in cases like yours). So you can get a whole wall of storage where you currently show the bed. You desperately need that extra 3-4’.
    bed with custom hamper/bench · More Info