Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
house_redmond

Can a Carrier performance furnace and Infinity AC work together?

D .
5 years ago
I am in the process of installing a brand new AC and furnace in a brand new home. I want to ensure that both units will be able to work together without problems. Does anybody know if the furnace 59TP6A060E171114 will work with the AC 24ANB148 without problems? Both of them are two stage.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• tigerdunes
    5 years ago

I would not do that. Plus you will have a mismatched system...and it appears the furnace only carries a 3 1/2 ton blower while the AC is 4 ton condenser. You are just asking for trouble. Get sized correctly and use matching components-furnace and AC...

IMO

• kevinande
    5 years ago

These guys make some great points, however that would not be my biggest concern seeing as to I know of at least three systems that are quite old running this configuration (larger condenser than blower and coil are designed for). That said you are paying for a larger unit you won't be utilizing. It costs more money in upfront purchase costs and utilities to run like this. From my experience multi stage systems usually communicate with all the components, so you would not have this capability. Unless you are just referring to to low stage and high stage furnace. All that said, I would not do this unless you just got a hell of a deal (like a few hundred dollars) on one of the components and can't pass it up.

• sktn77a
    5 years ago

Those components will work fine together, although I'm not sure why you want the infinity condenser vs the 2 stage performance condenser (you won't get a couple of the infinity system benefits). The furnace can deliver higher heating and cooling air flow rates that the nominal specification (depending on dipswitch settings and static pressure).

Check the date on the unit they install and make sure it has the revised hi temp switch.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I want to ensure that both units will be able to work together without problems.

Sorry, you don't even get this from a properly installed system. (without problems -- those are keywords am I right?)

Certainly you could install a complete system 'properly matched' and you could go many years without problems, just as much as a multi branded mis-matched system in which 'A PRO' only replaced the bad broken pieces of the system.

However, it is pointless to combine a high end system piece to one that is not designed to be used with it. The whole point in a high end system such as infinity is that you want the bells and whistles of that system. You don't get the bells and whistles by reverse engineering with pieces not designed to work with it. If that's your goal forget it.

The HVAC industry was built on heating and cooling problems. You will always have heating and cooling problems regardless of what you do. There are ways to cut your risk, but not by trying to do things yourself. Those are pro level skills attained only after decades of 'doing' in this business.

Carrier's advertising moniker: 'Turn To The Experts' --- after you watch the Carrier inspired video embedded below you should realize who the expert is.

• mike_home
    5 years ago

Did an HVAC contractor recommend this furnace and condenser? If he did you should get the AHRI number to confirm if this is an approved match. The AHRI number will also show the coil model.

I believe you can install some Carrier Performance furnaces with Infinity condensers but you may need to install a communication module on the furnace if you want a communicating system. This furnace only has a 1400 CFM blower, that may or may not be enough for the Infinity 4 ton condenser.

The Infinity 24ANA148 is very expensive and overkill for most parts of the country. I think you can buy a proper configuration for less money and be very comfortable in summer and winter. This assumes it is properly sized and installed.

• tigerdunes
    5 years ago

Why pay for a communicating Infinity condenser when it will never be a communicating system?... throwing money away!...

• sktn77a
    5 years ago

The 59TP6 series has an optional communications interface board for use in full communication mode. Still, I think the OP would probably be better off with the 2 stage Performance condenser.

• D .
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the help. I'll look into getting two matching Infinity systems at 4 ton.
  • stlpooltime
    3 years ago

I have a similar question. We are currently planning on installing the below. Any issues combining this Carrier performance furnace with Infinity AC? The performance AC was originally quoted, but given low availability in our area our installer is upgrading us to the Infinity at no additional charge. 58TP0A110V21-20 80% 110,000 Btu Two Stage Variable Speed Gas Furnace; CNPVP6024ALA Cased 5 Ton Evaporator Coil; 24ANB748A003 4 Ton 16 Seer 2 Stage Infinity Condensing Unit

• stlpooltime
    3 years ago

Thank you! On thermostat, we currently have a 2nd generation Nest, and he's checking to see if it will work. Is there a thermostat you would recommend? We aren't sold on the Nest, but do like being able to control from our phones.

On the 80% vs. 95% efficiency, our house is over 2,400 square feet (ranch), plus we have a finished, walk-basement. Unfortunately, due to the grading on our house, to get the 95% efficiency model would require too much work / expense, otherwise we would have done the 95% for sure.

• mike_home
    3 years ago

I don't understand why the grading of your walk-out basement would cause an issue with the installation of a 95% efficiency furnace. Where are you located? I think a 110K BTU furnace is over sized for a 2400 square foot house.

I recommend you get either a Honeywell or Carrier thermostat. The Nest can be either hit or miss. You can get wireless versions if remote access is important to you.

Since you are getting an Infinity condenser, did you get quotes on an Infinity furnace? It will be more money, but Carrier often gives rebates when you pair Infinity equipment. It will mean installing an Infinity controller which are also expensive. The rebates may not start until the fall which is a good time for HVAC installation.

• stlpooltime
    3 years ago

I really appreciate all your advice - very helpful!

We live in St. Louis. On the grading, I wasn't sure I 100% understood, but the unit sits on the side of the house and up a hill, which apparently would cause challenges. The bigger issue for my husband and I was that they were going to need to drill through two concrete walls.

Your BTU feedback is interesting - we'll double check on that. We had 5 bids total. One recommended 135K BTU, this one at 110K BTU, and two in the 90-100K BTU range, and one didn't specify. The 135K BTU ran a full test / calculation and was also recommending a 5 ton system -- everyone else recommended 4 ton. All commented that our house isn't your typical ranch house, and while you normally don't count the basement, they felt in our case it is something to consider / factor in. I guess we have a lot of returns, large windows, and 4400 square feet of finished lving space with the walk-out basement. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

We now are also going to get the Infinity furnace and thermostat - thanks for the recos!

• mike_home
    3 years ago

The furnace sits inside the house, so the grading of the property has no impact as whether it is has 80% or 95% efficiency. When my 95% efficiency furnace was installed, holes had to be drilled through concrete blocks. Drilling through concrete is not an issue if you have the right equipment and know what you are doing.

Installers claim they are doing a heating and cooling calculation, but what most do is to use some rule of thumb base on the size of the house. This method usually results in over sized equipment. Others will want to use the same size as the current equipment. The proper way to do this is to enter the house date into a software program which calculates the amount of heating and cooling required by your house.