Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Love this time of year!

sara_ann-z6bok
5 years ago

I’ve been so pleased with my established Poseidon that last year I planted another one on the opposite end of the same bed. Just like my first one, it didn’t do much in its first season, and I wasn‘t at all sure it was going to do much this year, but right now, while it’s still very small it is looking good, and I’m looking forward to seeing what it does. At this time I can’t imagine it being as big as my original one, but it was once a baby too! They are both on multiflora.

Also, this will be the third season for my two own root Dark Desire bushes, one in the ground, and one in a pot, both are doing good, looking forward to seeing what they do also.

I’m also looking forward to lots of Tiffany blooms, since I now have four of them. And since I replaced my first Francis Meilland with a new one in 2017, and it is doing so much better than my first one, I can’t wait for it to bloom. I’m looking forward to seeing what Lavender Lassie and Felicia do this year, both are looking good, and I was told years ago that Hybrid Musk roses do good here, but this is my first experience with them.

Just a sampling of so much to be excited about! I love this time of year

Comments (15)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

This time of year is exciting, isn’t it? I keep going out and poking at everything because I’m terribly impatient.

January didn’t help with my impatience, everything was starting to pop; giving indications of a “leap” year and then came the cold and snows of February.

Pretty sure the roses and hostas will be fine, just a few weeks late vs the few weeks early January had promised.

It‘s the borderline plants I‘m worried about-hebes, gauras and fuschias don‘t Look good at all and previously they had looked really nice.

Still many baby roses to watch this spring and summer....and soon the lilacs will scent the air-my favorite :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you oursteelers! Hoping you have a wonderful season! Lilacs are one of my favorites too!, what a heavenly fragrance!

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

I love spring, as well. It's exhilarating to be out in the garden after winter. Lavender Lassie and Felicia are really wonderful roses, and sweet fragrance.

Felicia has awesome fragrance; I love the soft pastel color from its Hybrid Tea parent, but hardy and floriferous.

Lilacs are delightful in spring, beautiful colors and scent.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Krista_5NY
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Krista! I am looking forward to seeing how both Lavender Lassie and Felicia do this year, I got just a small sampling of Felicia’s fragrance last year, can’t wait!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    5 years ago

I envy those of you who can grow lilacs - you need to be at about 4000' in SoCal to do that, and I'm at 1200 or so. When I was growing up on the East Coast, I couldn't wait for those gorgeous blooms and intense scent..

I find myself scrutinizing my roses looking for anything that might become a bud. Possibly one on one of my four minifloras (Unbridled). Chicago Peace and Sexy Rexy, Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell all have visible buds. Two of my three new Moonstones show buds. Waiting on Winter Sun and Ebb Tide - especially ET. Aunt Margy's Rose is about to bloom, and General Schablikine has had two flowers this month. My third tea, Dr. Grill, is covered in buds - love that one in particular.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sylvia, I envy you, that you can grow Teas! There are so many beauties in that class of roses! The ones you named, plus Mrs. B.R. Cant, Mons. Tillier, Madame Lambard, Lady Hillingdon and so many others! My roses are getting more new growth everyday, but I’m sure I’m at least a month away from blooms, but I have plenty to keep me busy during that time. Sounds like you have some very good varieties.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was able to get some more accomplished in my rose beds today. I have a Quietness bush that I planted in a probably less than ideal spot (I need to stop doing that) and I wasn’t even sure it was going to survive, even though it’s a hardy rose, but it is looking fantastic, and I ordered another one that I plan to be kinder to, so I’m very excited. Such a lovely rose! I’m pretty sure this one is in its third season.

• User
    5 years ago

Spring is indeed the most beautiful time of year. But I admit that I feel exhausted. It's been too hot and FAR too dry here in Italy,I've already had to begin watering,and I'm still trying to catch up on garden clean-up and pruning...

• totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Sara Ann, your photos make me want Poseidon too especially since I have read it can tolerate some shade. I just have no space for it. Do you think I could pillar it or is it too stiff?

sara_ann-z6bok thanked totoro z7b Md
  • totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Sjn, I miss RD. It was another failed attempt to grow teas. It died after a bad winter.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures of Rosette Delizzy, sjn! Totoro, thank you! Poseidon is a good rose, I think it would be too stiff to pillar, but I’m certainly no expert in that sort of thing.

• totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Thanks, I will put Poseidon on my wish list for when I have a bigger yard.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Thanks. That Salvia is completely trying to take over Rosette Delizy but RD is growing right up through and around it. I think once she gets another year on her they will be about the same size. The salvia is probably 5x6ft..the bees love it! All the *Wish series* Salvias get huge!

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Sylvia, I think lilacs at descanso gardens are starting to bloom, you should visit! https://www.descansogardens.org/visit/whats-in-bloom/

I’m not sure how they have them I think they are a low chill variety.