Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharleeg

Pkease help with these arches !

sharleeg
5 years ago
Hi all . I’m renovating a home with a fabulous view on limited budget . House was built in 50’s , a mid century modern design which I’m transitioning to a contemporary coastal look . I’m baffled as to what to do with these concrete supporting arches , which were end of original house before they enclosed the sun porch . Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

Comments (34)

• Susan Murin
    5 years ago
    I would square them off so they harmonize with the square windows. Would consider re-doing either the center one or the two side ones with half height cabinetry filling the opening, which will minimize the contrast between the two types of flooring. Then would case the windows to match the door, and add matching casing to the newly modified openings.
  • sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Susan! I thought about squaring them off, but since the ceiling heights are low and looks out to view I’m concerned that it will limit the line of sight out and make the lower ceiling even more apparent. Interesting idea about half height cabinetry.
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

More pictures would help. Do they line up with the windows and doors? Squaring them off would help. Would you consider staining the parquet floor so it blend with the sun room flooring?

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. It is a slight step down into rear sun room . I’m going to try to work with the parquet floors , possibly stripping them and leave natural color or lighten or gray. I am going to tile over the gray floor as it was not protected years ago when they did addition. Was under a hideous old burnt orange carpet. I removed and tried to clean up the original floor but it doesn’t look great . I’m going to go for a light and contemporary tile which I have not yet selected
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Since you have to redo the other floor you can get them both light. Gray would work, but it seems to be trending out.

Have you thought of closing off the two outermost openings and combining the two in the middle? (Would need extra support I imagine.) Or closing off the one by the fireplace for a more cozy sitting area?

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great ideas! Thanks, all.
    Now, if anyone can any ideas on how to give my parquet a modern look..I’m hoping they can be sanded and go with a natural look .
  • Kate E
    5 years ago
    I think the arches actually align better with a coastal style. Otherwise, I’d say square them out and add transom windows- but that is more MCM than Coastal, right?
  • R M
    5 years ago
    Leave the arches....more coastal . Get a fantastic and huge area rug for the parquet room. Lovely home and view. Consider soft ocean or sky colors inside so you can capitalize
    on the priceless view.
  • NancyD
    5 years ago
    We moved into a house where the kitchen had a parquet floor over linoleum. First I painted and polyed the floor which looked great, then after a while I changed my mind and had my husband sand off the finish. I decided I’d like to try a dark stain but really was not pleased with the uneven colorations because of the different shades of wood in the parquet. Fortunately, I tried the stain under the refrigerator where it doesn’t (and will never) show! Went with a clear poly finish. My advice would be to work with a professional wood flooring installer or at least ask at a good flooring store how they will handle getting an even color on your floor, whether it’s grey or walnut, whatever.
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • R M
    5 years ago
    Just found this area rug.....ocean and sand.
  • calidesign
    5 years ago

Sharleeg, just to be clear, when people are telling you to square the arches, they mean remove the rounded inserts on the top corners. Your comment about them being lower that way sounds like you are thinking you need to bring the top of the arch down further to the straight portions. Making the arches square will actually open the view more, not less, because you are removing the corners without adding anything additional.

• cafecomm
    5 years ago

FWIW I second celerygirl's notion of painting the arched walls white. It looks terrific in the designer photo - a soft touch within the house that transitions seamlessly to the white ceiling in the next room.

I have to agree with your initial idea of gray - driftwood stain, like celerygirl's renditions. To me, the most '30 years ago' thing about parquet is the jarring yellow tone. I love natural wood but prefer a muted, natural color profile, particularly seaside.

Fantastic place - please share what you decide.

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all. Great comments. The arches are solid concrete and I think it would be quite a task to chisel them away . Perhaps not as bad as I’m thinking (or been told ). I do think lightening everything up , which is what I’d intended to do, painting it all- walls , ceilings, columns, trim , one color white , will probably look far better than it does . You should have seen wallpaper I’ve already removed in some areas and orange carpet , etc. Just having a blank palette in coastal tones should be an amazing improvement! I’ll certainly update as I go . Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO those were never original to a MCM house so at some time someone tried to change the look to something else. I honestly woldwant them gone and replaced with square posts but if that is not in the cards then I guess the ideas for living with them are as good as it gets.

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I agree . Not sure how they got there but it’s clearly mid century style home . I had intended to remodel the home pretty extensively and remove them but circumstances have changed and I’m trying to market it for a sale now . The lot is the value and some may wish to remove house and build . Others want to renovate but really want it done for them in the end I’m finding .
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    wow. hard to believe those arches are at the back of that home...
  • Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    if you are marketing for a sale. dont muddle the mid century modern with a costal look. embrace the mcm.
  • sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Actually, Kerry Blossom, my Realtor who is the top in area told me to go with coastal .no one in this area is really interested in mid century so it needs to be a blend. I was completely going in another direction for my own remodel. To go completely mid century in this market and area would be a mistake . Trying here to work with bones and style and be contemporary but not necessarily beholden to all mid century . Most people these days, certainly in this area just want a more relaxed vibe but relates to coastal.
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Embrace them, love the black and white theme
  • jpp221
    5 years ago
    I’m sure they can be squared off, not by filling in the arch, but by removing the rounded corner, making for bigger, not smaller, openings.

It’s hard to recommend much more (about the different flooring transition, most notably) without knowing the furniture and traffic flow plans.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Following

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Irene, that first picture . If I had arches like that omg . Now makes me want to go darker stain on parquet also
  • gurukaram
    5 years ago
    I would consult with an architect to see about how much of them could be removed. It is probably a load bearing wall but you might be able to minimize the structure to open up the view more
  • gurukaram
    5 years ago
    Oops the thread had exploded since I first looked at it and then my comment refreshed it. Concrete? Selling? Yes, minimize with paint and let the new buyers do as they will.
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Get rid of the unattractive light fixtures. Put a stark white on the ceiling and a just-barely-there colour on everything else, INCLUDING TRIM.
  • sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are going to square the arches! I learned the concrete supports don’t carry into the whole arch, they added that feature ( who knows why♀️) so it’s plaster . I’ll post pictures. Thank you all!
  • sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This happened
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Something that can stand up to the dramatic columns and view would be black stained parquet.

Oakwood Court, Holland Park, London · More Info

Flat Renovation · More Info

Living & Dining Space · More Info

Entry-curved entry extends the curving building corridor · More Info

• sharleeg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @decoenthusiast wow , those black floors !
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I think they'd be perfect for your home!

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

What a difference! I'm glad you were able to remove the arches.