Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg81611

Island Seating Dilemma

Meg P
5 years ago

I have attached a photo of our current kitchen (ignore the mess) and a photo of what I am thinking for island seating. Our kitchen will be completely different - its just the general idea of the table behind the island.

We are getting rid of the upper and lower on the right side (they are just weird) and then also the whole half wall. We are moving the sink and the dishwasher to the island. Per our contractor, we have enough room for a 60 inch island.

Bar stool seating is not possible - we have two little kids and it would be a disaster. It is also a child friendly rental and I don't want any injuries on higher seats :)

Our living area is small and its open to the kitchen. This type of table will be 100% functional as we could also use the bench as storage.

If we do not do this type of seating we cannot have an island because there is no space.

The problem? My husband says this type of seating is 80's and no one should build in anything. I disagree with him....

Design thoughts?

Comments (34)

• Julie B.
    5 years ago

It's not just 80's. Joanna Gaines, Source of All Decor Trends, used it on one of her makeovers.

Fixer Upper Island Seating

Meg P thanked Julie B.
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@julie B. Thank you. I love that link. That was my original inspo. He thinks its dated and is so against a built in. I think a bench pushed up against an island would look silly

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    If you have kids who don’t mind sliding to the middle of the bench or having to slide out every time someone wants to get in or out, fine. Not fine for adults. Why not an island with 4 seats and sit in the dining room if you want more space?
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ShadyWillowFarm We have a 900 sq ft condo. No dining room. No island seats - it is a child friendly rental and higher bar stools are not safe for littles. We would do normal chairs on the other side and most likely 2 at the end.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

The seating pictured won't look that good in use with the backs of peoples heads your view from the other side of the island. I'd like to see a picture in use.

• Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@dan1888 That is a good point. The island itself could be tall enough to take care of that. The photo i showed is not my dream table - just the general concept.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

I don't think it's dated at all. I often recommend built-in banquettes with storage drawers.

But as a gut-check, you really have to have a big kitchen for this treatment; it's a visually huge way to go to have added mass onto an already large island. And if this is your only dining seating, it's less flexible when you're cooking for a crowd. You won't be able to move the table to accommodate more people. So, without seeing a floor plan, I can't suggest an alternative layout.

• Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sabrina It is a pretty small space. The only other option would be to keep the kitchen as is and just do new cabinets. Basically we have one room that is maybe about 600 sq ft and then 2 bedrooms. It is a vacation rental so I am not too concerned about gatherings but you make a good point

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Definitely agree it is not a dated concept, but... you may not have the space...
  • Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Another option?
    Meg P thanked Laura Hill
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sabrina here is the whole space. It is all changing. (pardon the mess - we just moved in)

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Seat height for dining tables is usually 18". That leaves 18" to the top of a counter unless you build a high back to your bench or some kind of double height counter. I'm not feeling it as part of an island. Have you posted a scaled drawing of your floorplan?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah, I think it's just too small a space to accommodate that look. I'd think about getting rid of the pony wall at the end of the cabinet run and add a return peninsula instead of an island. Move the fridge to the wall next to the slider door, and fill in the cabinets in the corner. Then get a small rectangular table to replace the round one. Move the junction box for the chandelier if you have to.

Meg P thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Lil S
    5 years ago

Last night on Nate and Jeremiah by Design, the homeowner really wanted an island, but there just wasn't enough room. They ended up with cabinets on two walls and a large rectangular table, which could be used for seating and prep space.

Meg P thanked Lil S
  • roarah
    5 years ago

I do not believe you have aisle clearances for a island. What are the dimensions of the space?

Meg P thanked roarah
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@roarah I am not sure. We had the contractor out to measure and with the half wall down there seemed to be plenty of room for a 60" island. Now i am second guessing if there is.

• Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lil S. If I could do that, I would. Between the fridge and that free standing cabinet is a window I can do nothing about.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I think for that type of built in island, you need a very large space. (you don't have that space) That's also a lot of seating. you have two kids, so I think it's overkill. ( children do grow. you can get counter height chairs to place at an island overhang. They'll be fine )

instead of doing it off the island, why not off on the side or in a corner somewhere?

otherwise, just get a regular table. This is a great looking set-up without looking too crowded. (little window bench w/storage in the back too)

• Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Beth H. It is mainly a ski rental. It sleeps 7 so I need a table that fits 7. We do not have room for a bench anywhere else. It is a weird set up. But we 100% need a table we can sit 7.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ok,,then how about a large table? it's hard to get a feel for this space based on your pics. I just think the table built into the island is too large for your narrow space. do an island w/an overhang for 2-3 chairs, and a table that seats 6. It will be fine for a ski rental.

Meg P thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    5 years ago

You are not seating 7 in a 900 square foot condo without giving up all the public space to kitchen and dining. Buy a much bigger condo if you want that. 900 sq foot is fine for 2 adults and 2 children and a standard round dining table. Sleeping 7 in a 2 bedroom 1 bath 900 ft is not realistic either. People aren’t cordwood. Don’t get greedy trying for something it’s not. You’ll get bad reviews. Make it the best it can be for what size it is. 7 is not that size.

• Kristin S
    5 years ago

You'll get much, much better feedback if you take the time to measure and draw up a to-scale floor plan on some graph paper. Right now it's really hard to see what's feasible and what isn't.

Meg P thanked Kristin S
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @GreenDesigns we are offering 7 beds because there is no where in Aspen you are getting a 2 bed 2 bath for $300 a night. We will reconsider the design but unfortunately your comment about me being greedy is extremely presumptuous.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Post an actual layout of the whole condo. A table is always better than an island for kids and multiple seats. Is it a 2 bath or 1 bath? I can’t see 7 people sharing one bath!

Meg P thanked User
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @the cooks kitchen it is a 2 bath. @GreenDesigns just assumed it was a one bath. It is set up for families - master bed and a bunk room. One bunk bed has a trundle for the 7th sleeping spot. I can post the layout when I get a minute.
  • course411
    5 years ago

Are you willing to reconsider your assumption that you shouldn't have island seating b/c of kids? I am always a little wary when people want to design homes to seemingly remove all possible risks to small children. Kids learn! And grow! We had peninsula seating in two homes with a toddler; he never fell off a stool. We also lived in 2 homes with a second story and *stairs* which seems to scare some parents (not you, specifically). At any rate, our kids learned how to go up and down stairs safely. At any rate, your design possibilities might open up more if you were willing to reconsider...

• Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    I have small ski house - we normally have anywhere from 10-12 (6 of us have the house) people there and have an expandable table we use when we have more than 6 people. it works fine. I cant imagine using a built in bench with multiple adults.
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @course411 no. It is a rental property and I want to avoid all possible accidents. Not willing to risk having a renters child fall. As an attorney, I am very risk averse. We are taking every precaution to make this rental as child/baby proof as possible.
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kerry - we are aiming to do week long rentals for families. Def not an adult seasonal ski house. I don’t care if 6 adults rent it but that is not the crowd I am trying to get.
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The room is 27 ft by 15 ft.
  • Pam A
    5 years ago

I am a big fan of banquette seating. I initially had a corner booth from a restaurant I recovered and then changed to a banquette from Ballard Designs. They have some that have lower back height (34", I think) to more easily tuck under a window.

I see why you are considering this, using the back of an island to anchor the booth gets around the issue of the patio door that is next to the table today. That said, a drawing of the space that show doorways, windows, and other hard to move items would be helpful. I don't know from the pics if a booth/banquette would help or not. They are super comfy for morning coffee, or anytime you want to slouch comfortably while at a table, though.

Meg P thanked Pam A
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    Since you are catering to families with kids, why not do a farm style dining table instead of an island, with benches that can be tucked under when not in use? Families with kids don’t need gourmet kitchens, so you won’t miss the storage in an island. Plus after skiing all day and wrangling the kids who wants to prepare an elaborate meal! And the table can be used for coloring, playing games, etc.
  • Meg P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @shadywillowfarm the plan was to use a farm style table but use a bench attached to an island. The reason we want an island is because we want to get rid of the half wall with the sink. We want a place to take off boots and hang coats and with that half wall it is not possible. If we get rid of it and add an island we can.