Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_lewis33

best way to arrange furniture in room to create a comfortable space

Kristen Lewis
20 days ago

I want this room to be classic coastal, but also comfortable and inviting. We will use this room for entertaining and movie gatherings when the family visits. I want it to look pulled together. I am willing to replace all furniture and paint. Please help !!!

Comments (31)

• Rho Dodendron
    20 days ago

What is classic coastal style?The look is sophisticated: crisp linens, perfectly painted beadboard, bold stripes and a distinct palette of whites, neutrals, blues, charcoal and black. Classic coastal style uses beautiful accessories, such as specimen shells, coral, maritime instruments and coastal art, and it aims for a clean, sophisticated feel.

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

I live in the coastal south and love the coastal classic vibe you are going for. I would definitely paint the walls a lighter softer blue. Think BM Glass Slipper. Or BM Ewing blue. All the southerners paint Ewing blue on their ceiling porches and definitely inside the house if you want that slow savannah or charming charleston vibe.

Your furniture feels heavy so a light paint or even light sheers on the windows over the shades you have can alter the vibe. I like your blue rug but wondering if a sisal or seagrass type of rug like in the photo below

The Cassidy at Senators · More Info

Pull in some blue vases, sea glass, giant sea shells, sail boats,

Clam Shell Bowl · More Info

Cutty Sark (No Sail) Museum-quality Fully Assembled Wooden Model Ship · More Info

Change that painting on the wall above fireplace something like this

Bellamy (She is all over the south and will even custom create a painting to match your decor)

Coastal Project · More Info

A Classic CT Home with a Modern Flair · More Info

Kristen Lewis thanked Boxerpal
  • la_la Girl
    20 days ago

good advice above - one thought, the lamp seems fussy and undersized for the couch - I would do something larger and more simple (love the Serena lamp from room and board) - maybe think about a simple brass floor lamp as well?

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you so much for all of your comments. It really helps.

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    20 days ago

how would you arrange the furniture? Should I do a tv over the fireplace or do built-ins on the wall with the wall unit now?

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    20 days ago

Please don’t put the TV over the fireplace. It would not be comfortable viewing. I see the measurements of the room, but may we please have measurements of each wall. The windows, the doors, and any openings as well as your couch and entertainment center. Just adding the measurements to the floorplan you have already posted will help a lot. if you’re able to do that, we can put together a 3-D rendition of the room with suggestions for your consideration. Thank you ahead of time. Best wishes.

• PRO
    20 days ago

The floorplan that you’ve posted looks as if the room is 17 feet .5 inches wide and 27 feet long. Is that correct? What is the measurement from the stairway to the fireplace wall.? Sorry for all of these questions but it’s hard when we can’t be in the room and measure it for ourselves, so we need your help in order to help you. Again, thank you ahead of time.

• elcieg
    20 days ago

I'm not going to suggest an arrangement; but, suggest a color scheme if you decide to keep the large t v piece. White and brown. Went looking for photos so you could visualize what I have in mind.

• PRO
    19 days ago

We are building the 3D rendition and hoping that we have the measurements at least close. We are having a hard time clearing up the numbers in the picture of the blueprint. Best Wishes.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

You want coastal style. ......but cozy

"I am willing to replace all the furniture"

Well? The offenders and road blocks to having your look? THE HEAVY brown leather couch. The lurking heavy brown entertainment unit.

And even a floor that is a bit too orange to play well with mid and soft blues, and would be much nicer with a spa- like soft bluish GREEN: )

The rug needs to be quite a bit larger as well.

You've got room for more seating, You could add two swivel chairs

Then you need a coffee table, nesting is nice for versatility that all can reach.

More accurate can't be done until you inform wall and openings and their respective feet and inches. Dotted line? The rug size! Rugs are meant to be walked on - leaving huge swaths of floor exposed is not proportional or cozy. and doesn't "hold or ground" the room.

You can't walk out the windows, and while a float of furniture is nice? No reason for the big path in your arrangement - get a bigger tv.

You can do same as below if the new couch....must be a sectional, put your white chairs where I have the barrel back swivels

• marmiegard_z7b
    19 days ago

I agree with Jan that the current color scheme is off, so something needs to give, and that would drive further decisions on furniture placement and RE - placement, if buying any new things.

The cool very dark brown furniture is fighting with the golden orange floors.

I think dark browns can work, because “ coastal” doesn’t have to be all pale bleached beachy colors. But then you’d need less orangey floors, and use some deeper richer blues, with whites, to balance the dark woods. Or go English tropical with greens and whites and some rattan.

But if keeping the floor color, then the wood furniture and brown sofas are too much dark brown and too heavy. SOME darker brown is fine, don’t want to have all matching wood tones .

You might try doing several inspo searches from different angles— who shows your “ style” with similar floors ( NOT pale white oak floors), and who shows dark brown furniture, etc. What appeals to you most? Or all your faves using very much different flooring and furnishings? And from a furniture standpoint, what pieces do you love or need, what seems most replaceable from budget standpoint? You’re aiming to see how to get closest to your “ vision” using your budget and capabilities, and not be disappointed by buying stuff that still doesn’t do it. Sometimes I think it’s helpful to “ pre-shop” if you think you’d be replacing major furniture—start wishlists— because sometimes you’ll find it hard to get key pieces ( I’m including budget and quality issues), or you’ll get lucky find a great anchor piece that you think you can build upon.
  • Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    19 days ago

We are going to redo the floors and hopefully take away the yellow undertone, however I have to be careful because the stairs and the entire second floor is the same hardwood floors and I do not have the budget to redo the entire house. I took all the room measurements, just not sure what it the best way to share them with you all?

• PRO
    19 days ago

Please tell us the length of the room. Is it 27 or 37 feet long and 17’,6” wide? it sure would help a lot with the rendition and furniture placement.

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Door Jam from foyer is 4' 10" - Space in front of the stairs (left to right) is 6' 1" and length of stair case is 5' - Over all width of room is 17' 3" - Space from wall to kitchen 2' 8" - Door jam into Kitchen is 2' 10". - Wall 13' 6" - Door jam to dining area 7' 10" - Wall to closet by FP 5 1/2" Space from closet to FP hearth 3' 2" - FP Hearth 6' 7" - Right side of FP wall 2' 2" - Slanted wall 7' 5 1/2" - Straight wall with windows 26' Windows 5' 4" with 21" in between the windows

• PRO
    19 days ago

Thank you so much! That is awesome! It really helps a lot! ;-)

• PRO
    18 days ago

We rebuilt the room. The measurements sure made a big difference! We are putting together seating for eight people. Please let us know if you need seating for more than eight people. Best wishes.

Kristen Lewis thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

Do this For test...........

Move the couch........as below. You won't love it with the couch you have, You need a different, not so huge, not so brown couch: ) and you need two more chairs. You can seat seven right there

• Kristen Lewis
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I appreciate the suggestion, however I want to use the room for watching movies and hanging out with at least 6 adults comfortably. I don't think the 4 chairs will provide comfortable lounging when the whole family is together. Any other suggestions?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Not really hard if you use your own pictures, jiggle your furniture and use a tape measure.

You already have the two chairs, the only way to get what you want? Is to line the pigeons on to a fence. Understand, this is the least versatile way.

Most comfortable will be six adults. Eight will mean a kid in the corner. Tape it off on the floor, and get the largest rug you can.

Heads swivel.... You have no other spot for a tv but OVER the fireplace, and it will not help the face the tv issue in arranging furniture.

Now see this below

You do NOT need the path behind the sectional at the window. Move it back......

Lose the big heavy tv unit for a long media console and BIGGER tv

Your test is right here.......below.

Move the darn couch under the window

Tape another couch where you have the existing couch, right on the floor, and adjust the chairs, back toward fire a bit..

• PRO
    18 days ago

Hello Kristen, We have completed the rendition and are ready to post pictures with suggestions for your consideration. Theme: Ocean with white, blues, weathered wood, shells, coral, sea animals, picture off the ocean over the fireplace, tall sea grass and so on. SEATING: for six to eight. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    18 days ago

In this rendition you see:

1. One couch that seats four people
    2. Two oversized chairs that can seat one to two people.
    3. Weathered furniture: One large coffee table, two side tables, one small game table (in the corner window with two slipper chairs that can be pulled into the circle for added seating)
    4. One couch table with two driftwood lamps and a whale figurine.
    5. One small entry table with a mirror at the end of the stairs
    6. One long entry table with two driftwood lamps, a plant, a storage basket on the shelf below, two blue vases. flanked by two lanterns on the floor. The wall behind this table is a feature wall with weathered wood.
    7. One large blue area rug that is 12' by 14'
    8. Two pompos grass in 2 larges vases on either side of the couch table
    9. One large picture of the ocean over the fireplace.
    10. A wall of book shelves with a white console for the TV and of course the TV.
    11. Accent pieces (ocean related) throughout.
    12. White curtains

Hope these suggestions work for you and hope it helps. Best wishes.

More pictures to come.

• PRO
    17 days ago

Please let us know that you were able to review the rendition. Thank you and best wishes to you and yours.

• Denise Marchand
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Instead of designing your room a typical "Coastal" vibe, and since the room will be used for entertaining and movies, consider a vibrant colorful room that will invite your family and friends. Treat the room as a luxurious screening room with ample seating, large coffee tables and colorful art. The occasional chairs can be swivel chairs for more viewing.

Vibrant and fun

Love the elephant color walls with bright furniture to play off of your light floors

Typical Coastal vibe - soft and all naturals with a hint of pale color

• Denise Marchand
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

My first impression was to advise you to bleach the floors to lighten them, but as you have posted, the wood continues everywhere. So forget that idea altogether and add very large rugs, even if they are two together to cover most of the floor.

I am not a fan of the TV over the fireplace as the viewing is completely wrong. Besides your room is conducive to placing the TV on the wall you now have it, for optimum viewing and you can get a TV as big as you wish.

The odd position of the fireplace doesn't add to the use of the room. Ignore it and add wall sconces for low TV watching lighting. I can just see the glow of the fire at the end of the room with lots of people. Enchanting!

When designing the TV wall, keep it so it doesn't protrude into the room as much as your existing unit. It's the first item you see when entering and can be an interesting elevation.

• PRO
    17 days ago

A similar rendition to D. Marchand's arrangement. The furniture is a tight squeeze.