Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_836858537

Wood Laminate Cabinet Shelf Damage

Amy Kay
5 years ago

So I live in an apartment and somehow managed to damage the shelf of one of wood laminate cabinets. I think something leaked on there and it bubbled up pretty badly. I cleaned it up and it has been used for the year plus with no issue, but now it has started peeling away and you can see the particleboard underneath. Is there any way to fix this, especially one that almost looks like it never happened.

Comments (8)

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

Can you just pop it out and replace it? Home Depot carries diff sizes of laminate shelves.

• Amy Kay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wish I could because that's a really good idea, but it is actually the bottom of the cabinet (I guess shelf isn't entirely accurate).

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

What Cat said only I would use Contact paper. You can find oak-look contact papers. Will be less expensive and easier to cut install.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The bottom of the cabinet box is a structural member. It takes a lot of moisture to do that type of damage. Not just a damp plate. You not only damaged it’s appearance, you damaged its structural integrity. Thst isn’t going to be disguiseable. The cabinet needs replacing. Confess, and be prepared to lose your security deposit.

• party_music50
    5 years ago

That looks like a crappy cabinet finish to begin with... like particle board that's been coated with a plastic-feeling coating. If that's what it is then I'd clean it well, smooth it out with a light sanding or whatever works, clean it up again :), then cover it with a matching contact paper. If it's really a decent wood laminate, can you show a closer photo of what the damage looks like?

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

The damage appears to be merely superficial, extending not much beyond the plastic layer. Structural integrity of the cabinet has NOT been compromised at this point.

That said, steps need to be taken to prevent more damage going forward. As suggested above...light sanding, primer and new covering...contact paper, laminate, moisture proof shelf liner, etc. And make sure stuff is dry before you stash it in the cabinet.

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

Can you turn the shelf upside-down?