Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetverve

Slab backsplash behind cooktop, tile around it?

sweetverve
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Trying to decide what to do with our kitchen backsplash - subway tile is the backup choice, but wanting something more creative :)
Silestone Lusso countertops going in next week. Thinking about putting a slab of the Lusso behind cooktop up to the hood. Don't think we have enough leftover Lusso to run it all the way up to the ceiling past the hood, though. Subway tile would go under windows/cabinets on the adjoining wall, and then on either side of the slab. Do not want to tile the whole wall, especially over the door. Would this look weird?
Photos of the Lusso and of our kitchen so far. Last photo is inspiration image.

Comments (19)

• vinmarks
    5 years ago

Have you checked the specs on the cooktop installation manual as far as combustible surfaces behind it? There was a recent thread of someone who installed quartz behind their range and it cracked and discolored. Many range tops require a back guard if surface behind it is combustible.

• Marci
    5 years ago

Right now your kitchen is looking great! At this stage, boring is so, so good. Go with the subway backsplash. Once you style with a curtain, hardware, hood, canisters or countertop knick nacks you're golden. Seriously, stay the course. Keep it simple and classic. Your future self will thank you.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Most cooktops are sold with the island installation package. They need a back guard. There has been lots of discussion about this. Fred S is the pro on this.

• Depo
    5 years ago
    We did exactly what you are thinking of doing. Ours is natural stone with glass subway tile.

http://houzz.com/s/m=7/u=L3Bob3Rvcy9wcmV0dHktbXVjaC1kb25lLWp1c3Qtc29tZS10b3VjaC11cHMtYW5kLXJlcGxhY2luZy10aGUtY3Jvd24tbW91bGRpbmctb3Zlci10aGUtcGh2dy12cH41MzA2Nzc3OQ==

Tried to attach the picture, but the link above showed up instead.
  • sweetverve
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Are backguards/island trim needed for cooktops, or only for rangetops?
    Though I am definitely realizing that engineered quartz may not be the best material to have behind a heat source.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You want it to look like this??

nope. either do one or the other. save you left over quartz piece for a cheese tray or shelf.

this one looks better, but it's a differently designed kitchen than what you have (and notice how they DID do the entire wall)

I would definitely do that entire wall w/tile. otherwise, it's going to look really boring half way up w/plain old white subway. similar wall like you have. They did the entire wall w/tile.

and why only white subway? all the great tile out there??

you really should wait until the countertop is in and try out some samples.

these all come in diff colors and sizes.

WZ Cocoon

Encore Ceramics-Silver crackle

how bout these glazed brick-like tiles in a herringbone? (they come in 10 diff colors) Tilebar, Cadenza

• Marcia Lim
    2 years ago

Hi Sweetverve, did you end up doing the slab behind your range? I'm considering using a large format tile (24x48) behind the cook top that blends with the white subway tile I have selected. Please post a picture if you don't mind :)

• sweetverve
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Marcia, I ended up using the same white subway tile everywhere. Did not use slab behind the range. As someone mentioned above, I really appreciate the "boring" look, as all the other kitchen "shtuff" does add a lot of interest visually.

• Kathi Steele
    2 years ago

Marcia, I don't know how far along you are on your kitchen, but if the countertops are installed consider putting all the stuff on the countertops that will be there: coffee maker, mixer, utensils, spoon rest, etc. Then put the tiles up against the wall and see how busy or not busy it appears. Sometimes you need a visual with all the "stuff" you will have out to see if that "boring" subway tile will actually be exactly what you need!!!

• Marcia Lim
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. Actually I'm not worried about the backsplash looking too plain in my case (I am going with a light wood kitchen, dark soapstone countertop, and equipe artisan white tile- inspo pics atrached). I mainly wanted a porcelain tile behind the range for ease of cleaning. I'm debating between subway tile with epoxy grout, or doing a white porcelain slab tile). The idea would be for the tile to blend in, not be a feature, and continue the subway tile on either side of the slab tile and on all the other backsplash areas.

Ps. I don't want to use soapstone for the backsplash because it's darker than I would prefer for the cooking area. I like the contrast between a dark counter and a crisp white backsplash.

• hbeing
    2 years ago

subway tiles reminds me of....subways. dank.

• Marcia Lim
    2 years ago

Entitled to your opinion

• Kathi Steele
    2 years ago

hbeing, never having ridden on a subway, I have no idea what you mean. Here is my kitchen with subway tiles.

Dank is not how I would describe it.

I am kind of insulted by the reference.

kathi_steele's ideas · More Info

• Leslie A
    last year

following

• chestnut3
    last year

Hi- those of you that did do a slab backsplash behind your cooktop only and tile on either side of it, how did you make the transition? Did you use the 0.5” pieces to frame it? Any pictures are appreciated

• Anne Duke
    last year

Nine years ago I did slab without transition, and subway tile. It is a dated look now, transition would only accentuate that, and breaks up the backsplash. A big advantage is that slab is a lot easier to keep pristine than if I had put in tile behind the stove, so on that score it’s a win for me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I feel sorry for your refrigerator door.

• teamaltese
    last year

Marcia Lin, you said the magic words! "I LIKE". It’s your kitchen, and it should be to your taste, not anyone else’s.