Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vibha_pant

Help in family living room decor

Sona P
5 years ago

Hi All,

I recently bought home and now planning decor of family living room . I have tight budget, henceforth planning to reuse my existing 3 seater gray color fabric sofa. The one side of room has wall with beautiful wood panel and opposite side has book shelf, rest all the walls are White. The kitchen along with room has White cabinets.

(Attached some pics of the room and sofa)

I am struggling to buy other furniture and accessories which would go well with Gray sofa and wood wall.

- I thought to buy either 2 seater sofa or 2 arm chairs - Which one do you feel is the best option.

- What color should choose for sofa or chairs? Whether to go for plain or print texture?

- After going through many images, I feel shades of black, gray, cream and white would go well for furniture and other accessories in this room. I want to pop one more color and really confuse which one to add?

- Is this approach OK to first buy furniture and then match rug, coffee table, artworks and TV unit accordingly?

Please suggest your opinion. Thank you so much...

Comments (19)

• Alexandra Nickson
    5 years ago
    Your home is beautiful!! I love all of the wood!! So I usually start with the couch and then a rug! I put the below inspiration together! I personally would go with a marble and brass coffee table, an amazing vintage rug, and some modern mid century items to match your home! Also love a little leather :)
    Sona P thanked Alexandra Nickson
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

You have many reddish golden tones in the room--floor and wall, so those should be taken into consideration. For across the way, find a media setup that runs all the way across that wall--this idea but with art work around the TV in the same wood finish as the wall so it will look built in. These kinds of low shelves are very affordable and handsome--basically a tall bookshelf turned sideways.

Works Photography Inc. · More Info

Set up something like this only with your panelled wall as the backdrop.

Art work in this palette but in subjects you like. This one picks up the gray and wood tones.

"Gold Leaves." Original Artwork By Kanayo Ede · More Info

Rug:

Surya Athena ATH-5071 10' x 14' Rug · More Info

Not these chairs but something simple, up on legs, and in harmony with your panelled wall and floor.

Adaya Cappuccino Faux Leather Armchairs With Beech Legs, Set of 2 · More Info

Sofa pillows:

Cargo Red and Gold Throw Pillow · More Info

• Sona P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My husband is not big fan of leather furniture. I got the idea from mood board that actually leather chairs would go well with wall but how about using such kind of chairs in case my hubby

didnt agreed for leather chairs and use the leather coffee table or ottoman?

[Arm chair[(https://www.houzz.com/products/divani-casa-joseph-modern-orange-fabric-accent-chair-prvw-vr~123299033)

• housegal200
    5 years ago

You don't need to have leather chairs or ottoman. In fact with such a large sofa, the distinctive panelling, something lighter than a leather ottoman would be better. Upholstered chairs that are also up on legs in a color that works with the sofa, art work, rug work best. I can't find the right color, but this idea--with the wood finishes coordinated with wood floors and walls.

The order of buying things will depend on your budget and tastes. Usually you begin with your "givens," in your case the palette that comes with the panelling if it stays, shelves, sofa, and floor. Every piece you add should in some way echo those. Since all the wood items currently take up the most visual space, when you choose art, pillows, rug, new pieces should connect in some way with just a bit of that wood color.

Definitely have a plan for your TV wall. That wall can be a great backdrop for the room and deserves more than a small TV table. Here's something simple though I prefer the setups in previous photos I posted--long, low shelf all the way across in same finish as wall to look built in and surrounded with art.

Good luck!

Sona P thanked housegal200
  • Sona P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ housegal200 Thanks, I love the idea of TV wall and work towards this. Actually I am using old coffee table currently for a TV and in my list to buy one :-)

• Sona P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One more Q, I forgot to ask for Curtain; Would White shades go better?

• maryjow718
    5 years ago

Don't forget some nice green plants to go with your beautiful room!

Sona P thanked maryjow718
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Ooo, that's a good idea, Precision! Turn sofa around, then no new shelving is needed. just some carpentry to make current bookcase TV friendly. Add piece of very wide horizonal art on the panelling behind the sofa in the new location.

Notice how the coffee table and chairs are up on legs to balance the bulk of the sofa and panelling below. Patterned rug picks up some of the wood color. This is a good template to follow, but using your sofa, panelling and flooring to create a palette and plan.

This could work:

"Sunset Dreams II" Hand Painted Canvas Art, 60"x20" · More Info

Original Painting Large 24"x48" Red Abstract by Thomas John · More Info

• housegal200
    5 years ago

If you get a little carpentry done on your existing bookshelves, it wouldn't be that much more work to create a window bench across your window window wall for extra seating or plants. That's a lovely window.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Definitely two chairs for this space. I'd find some under 30 inches in width and leggy. Like this https://www.jossandmain.com/furniture/pdp/sardinia-armchair-lgly7525.html?piid=32249775 Agree with others that the sofa should be in front of that wood wall with the TV in existing shelves. Some simple carpentry (DIY) should accomplish this. Are you planning on a rug in the room?

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Those chairs are great, hollybar and balance out the bulk of the sofa and intensity of the panelled wall. Sona, did you catch the excellent suggestions to flip your sofa to the wood wall, get some art for it, and hack your bookcase on the other wall for your TV. One less thing to buy. Good luck!

• Sona P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, this is an amazing idea to keep the TV in existing book shelf. I am struggling to decor large book shelf and that way I can save some space :-) I checked my shelf and it is possible to do modification but only constraint is that No electric point and TV connection available nearby and have to call electrician to pull wiring which is not immediately possible. I plan to take a step by step approach. first buy the chairs, rugs, other accessories and then go for the book shelf modifications.

Hollybar, chairs suggested by you are awesome.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Good luck, Sona. Honestly, using your existing bookshelves for the TV and making your panelling the backdrop for art and your sofa is a great way to go.

When starting out, use art, flooring, wood panelling, and sofa as your starting point for your color palette--not just the sofa--grays, reddish golden wood color accents, for pillows, rug, etc. Then get a rug. Then get the armchairs. Lots of rugs and art are on Overstock, Wayfair. Just because you love something by itself, ask: "Does this harmonize with my wooden wall, my floors, my gray sofa? If not, pass up the item." Coffee tables, armchairs, side tables should be up on straight legs as everyone has suggested to balance out all the visual space taken up by panelled wall and sofa. Table and chair legs should echo wood floor and wall. Have measurements in your pocket when you order so everythings in proportion. No huge ottomans or oversized balloon chairs. Your sofa is plenty big already

You're good to go!

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Just a P.S. since you said you were a bit overwhelmed by decorating this room.

The order of buying things, more or less, when decorating a room is: art first, then a rug since it covers so much space. The art and rug, along with the floor, bookshelves, and panelling, plus your sofa, will give you your color palette. Then get the armchairs and accessories.

It might be a good idea to get the bookcase fixed up for the TV first, since that will be the biggest game changer and an expense. You're so lucky to have a quasi-built in that already goes with your floors and panelling and can accommodate a TV. You will then have two "walls" of the reddish golden wood, so pick warm colors with some of those golden/red touches and tones so it all relates.

Hope you check in again if you're in doubt about choosing pieces for the rest of your room.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

If this were my space,I'd get the TV sorted first. Before buying anything. And there is nothing wrong with taking your time. In fact,it usually leads to much better results. Your room has good light,a very nicely proportioned window, and natural elements already present....so you are well on the way to a successful outcome. Best of luck!

Sona P thanked hollybar
  • Sona P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for wonderful ideas. You guys are amazing :-) I made many mistakes in decorating last house and dont wanted to repeat this time. I picked up couple of images for similar living room from various forums and many idea were flowing in my mind but I was unable to connect all the pieces together. I have now clear idea about colour palette, using book shelf, artwork, type of chairs etc. I will post item here after shortlisting to get the further opinion. :-) Thanks a lot again your wishes

• Cynthia Abbott
    5 years ago
    I hope you’ll post photos as you go. I’m excited to see how this room comes together. You’ve got such nice features to build from. Good luck!
    Sona P thanked Cynthia Abbott
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago
    Following