Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaesnard

Darker Trim Color Than Walls

Donna Esnard
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I typically see trim color that is lighter than the walls. I'm using BM Ballet White on the bathroom walls and am not crazy about going dramatically lighter for trim and cabinets. My cabinet molding is connected to my crown molding so it needs to be the same color. Wondering if BM Tapestry Beige which is the next deeper color shade from Ballet White would look good on the cabinets and trim. Going to get sample before I try. I'm just not a white cabinet fan. Thanks!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I wouldn't be wild about beige bath cabinetry. ( color in the walls first below pic )

Use Ballet White for everything, Walls, cabinet, trim. and simply vary the sheen to satin for cabinet and trim. A better idea by far. The sheen change is enough of a change

Ballet white below

Donna Esnard thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I love the look of trim in a darker color than the walls. I would go with a good amount of contrast for a nice effect. Just be aware that the colors on the strips of a fan deck aren't necessarily lighter or darker versions of each color. They can be unrelated and if you assume that they are lighter/darker versions you may be unpleasantly surprised when you see them on the wall. The best way to test them is to get large samples and view them in your room with your light at different times of the day/night.

Just as an example, I have 2 B. Moore fan decks and don't see Tapestry Beige and Ballet White on the same strips on either of them. But that being said, I think they are too close in intensity, and won't give you a decent contrast on the wall, but could give you an unattractive look when placed side by side.

In my opinion, using different colors on walls and trim only works well when you have a large difference in color, otherwise just use the same color on both the walls and trim. In your case, I'd match Ballet White with a deeper color of your choice (blue/green/tan) depending on the colors of the other materials in the room (tile, fixtures, counter tops, etc.) For tan, try Wheeling Neutral, Bleeker Beige, or Bennington Gray. For blue, try Wedgewood Gray or Buxton Blue, and for green try Kentucky Haze or Waterbury Green.

Also, on re-reading your post, I see you've selected the wall color before the cabinets, which is not optimal. Choose your cabinet color in conjunction with all your other choices, then choose wall color last.

Good luck with your project!

Donna Esnard thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I think the op is just trying to avoid white cabinetry/trim. Agree w/ Diana as to a million possibilities and walls last. "Beige" would not excite me. Emerald, navy, deep gray, cobalt. Anything but a mid beige cabinet. Baths are a concert and ALL the elements are instruments within.

Donna Esnard thanked JAN MOYER
  • Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Diana. What I learned from my local BM paint store recently is that Muskoka Trail 974 and Ballet White OC9 are the same color! They just updated the name to make it sound more appealing when they introduced the OC colors. Who knew? So, Muskoka Trail is on of their Classic Colors strip where there are 7 colors and they do have a relationship to one another, i.e. graduating degrees of intensity, unlike the OC colors which are not related even though they are on the same sample card. That's how I came up with Tapestry Beige 975 as a possibility for the cabinets against the Ballet White walls. It's not really Beige, it's just a slightly darker shade of Muskoka Trail aka Ballet White. Anyway, I found that discovery very interesting. And I have considered the possibility of Ballet White on everything with just a change in sheen. I always love your input. Thank you!

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jan. I'm going to put a sample of the Ballet White on cabinets and trims. This time I'm going to wait until ALL of the materials are in place...flooring, counters, etc. I got ahead of myself.:)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    What color is your crown molding? What do you mean “connected to molding on cabinet”? Any photos?
    Donna Esnard thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

He means Tower or linen cabinet crown , touching ceiling. or not touching the ceiling which is not a great idea : )and remaining crown in room, NOT touching the cabinets. WTH knows ? lol

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can't provide pics now because the cabinet is out. The cabinet sits on the counter, goes all the way to the ceiling, and the molding wraps the cabinet as well as trimming out the upper part of the wall.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Hi again, Donna. I understand what you were told about the colors on the strip, but I wouldn't bet that the guys at the paint store are totally correct in their assumptions about the colors and their relationships to one another.

Maybe Lori Sawaya could weigh in here--she's the best color expert around, and has repeatedly stated that many of the color assumptions are incorrect, leading to bad choices in color combinations. As I am not an expert in the inherent qualities of color, I don't want to dispense faulty information, so Lori, what do you think? Since Muskoka Trail (974) is on the same strip as Tapestry Beige (975) is MT just a lighter version of TB???

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I can look that up. But color strips mean nothing, neither do names of colors! Bbl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

OK, I am a student of Lori's and don't pretend to have her expertise, but she has taught me a ton! Here are the color "DNAs" for the Muskoka Trail, Tapestry Beige, and matching colors. First Tapestry Beige has a LRV (light reflective value) of 66 and Muskoka Trail has an LRV of 72. So Muskoka is going to be perceived as potentially reflecting more light, or lighter than Tapestry Beige. First point that is important. They are both very close on the Color Strategy Color Wheel (Lori's color wheel) in Hue Family at 97.5 and 96.74, which is the Yellow Hue Family and in the "cool" segment of the Hue Angle. SW Natural Choice is almost a perfect match to Muskoka Trail. It has a LRV of 73 so a smidge more reflective (lighter) it has a Hue Angle of 96.74, exactly the same as Muskoka Trail and a tad more Chroma. All in all, a really good match. Ballet White OC-9 has a Hue Angle of 94 which is in the Yellow Hue family but moving slightly toward Yellow Red Hue family but still in the cool segment of the Hue Family. It has a LRV of 73, so pretty much the same as the other colors in terms of light reflective quality. Main point is Tapestry Beige is going to look darker than Muskoka Trail IMO. All depends on the lighting quality in the room of course. So, in answer to your basic question, if you want just a subtle change in tone of color, stick with the same color but use the different sheen levels to create a "visual" change. Ballet White and Tapestry Beige are not a good couple imo. It could look like you tried to match and missed. :)

• PRO
    5 years ago

Thank you, Flo! Your last sentence really says it all. Pairing "near neutrals" is very difficult unless you are very well versed in the nuances of the colors.

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow Flo...that is a wealth of valuable information. The goal was to get a slightly darker version of Ballet White, hence the choice of Tapestry Beige. Just for grins, I'm going to try a sample so I can check the box. I totally hear what you're saying about trying and missing though. And yes, Diana...pairing "near neutrals" is about to do me in....:) I kind of miss the days where you could just pick a beautiful wall color and then trim it out with white. Now, I'm pretty sure the paint police will come after you guns blazing! BTW, my vanity and tub deck is Bianca Parma quartzite which has a combination of cream, white, a little gray, taupe. Floor is crema marfil-ish porcelain. Shower is ivory artisan subway. Thanks for all the input!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    With the beautiful color variations you have in all the elements in your space I feel even more strongly to do different sheen levels of the Ballet White. You need some place where the eye can rest. Your paint is the place. That will let your big ticket focal points take center stage.
  • Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo...do you like Satin or Semi-Gloss for cabinets and trim? I'm using BM Advance. I love the leveling and minimal brush stroke visibility.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I prefer “satin” finish.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Satin for trim and cabinets. Flat or matte for walls.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That quartzite is beautiful, Donna!

Holly, that's hilarious. (I've always wanted a job naming paint or cosmetic colours.)

Donna Esnard thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Donna, I'm amused by your comment,

"I kind of miss the days where you could just pick a beautiful wall
    color and then trim it out with white. Now, I'm pretty sure the paint
    police will come after you guns blazing!

You can still pick a COLOR and trim it with white, meaning an actual color that you can easily see on the wall. You can also paint the walls and trim the same color, as Flo and I have suggested. Don't misunderstand me or take this as a knock on you, but why everyone keeps complicating this paint color thing is beyond me. So much of decorating a home comes down to what you like and keeping it simple. Is it because there are just too many choices? And the only "paint police" are on these discussion boards--no one is going to come into your house and tell you everything you did wrong, unless you ask them ;)

• Donna Esnard
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was just exaggerating a point and trying to be funny at the same time. I live in the deep south where until recently the norm was any wall color and semi-gloss or high-gloss white trim. And I mean WHITE, not White Dove, Linen White, etc. We just had the Parade of Homes in our city with 60+ homes being showcased and not a single one followed that color scheme. It's all pale colors, off whites, with similar trim colors. I do like it, but pairing the "near neutrals" can be a little overwhelming for the non-professional. One of my favorite rooms in my home has Pale Avocado walls, Woodlawn Blue ceiling and bright white trim. I never get tired of it. I just wanted to break out of my comfort zone and step into the world of neutrals in my bathroom. It's been quite a learning experience. The paint stores love the amount of $$$ I'm spending on paint samples! Thanks for your perspective.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Hi again Donna. I love the palette of pale avocado green with woodlawn blue! I bet it looks terrific!

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

I'm a bit of the odd man out most of the time, but I rather like colored/darker trim. :-)

Donna Esnard thanked Holly Stockley
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I'm with you, Holly, those photos are just gorgeous!

• kendog2
    last year
    last modified: last year

I know this is an old post but I will say that I really can't stand colored trim. Clean white doors and trim look so much more classy, in my opinion. It is more practical too because you don't have to change your trim color every time you paint your walls a different color. Colored trim would also not appeal to many buyers if you were selling your house.

I was once tempted to paint all my doors black white white door frames. I'm glad I didn't because dark paint shows more dust. (We live in a high desert climate where dust is abundant.)