Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_peony

Zone 7B for Dummies

pink_peony
4 years ago

I have a slew of ongoing questions and decided i would create a thread that i can go back to over time with my random gardening questions. We have been in Carolina for 12 years but i still can’t seem to grasp how to garden correctly here. Y’all have been helpful on another post i began about topiaries so I’m hopeful this will be a great source for me to finally develop the garden I’ve been trying for for 12 years.

my first question is i am looking for a evergreen ground cover to plant in my beds that will take the place of having to use pine straw or mulch. I saw one at a model and found out it is called creeping Jenny. The gal af the local nursery said it would be great for what I’m looking for and would be grown in by end of summer. However she said i would have to keep it cut back. Spoke to a guy at Lowes who warned me against it and said it was incredibly invasive and even with regular pruning it would take over my beds and antubing planted in them. I don’t know who to believe. Read a few things online that made me think the first gal at the nursery was more spot on. Also based on what i saw at the model home , which has been there for two years the ground cover was full but easily groomed. I would love to hear advice on this and if it isn’t a good choice what would be. My beds will be full mid Day to sunset sun and back beds are morning to mid day sun. Thanks. Here is a picture of the creeping Jenny i love.

Comments (16)

• Amy (7b/8a) NC
    4 years ago

What about vinca minor or phlox? I have a very similar situation and am town between the two.

The vinca probably won't like the sun as much as the phlox but I think I'm going to try it anyway

• mindshift
    4 years ago

If you want an easy to grow ground cover, it's probably going to be aggressive. Creeping Jenny is an aggressive grower. Because Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) is native to Europe it is considered to be invasive in parts of the U.S. mostly on low, wet ground and near streams and ponds. It's happiest on consistently wet soil, though it will grow on drier soils. Each plant grows to about 24" wide and the stems root as they spread. Expect to have to trim it back. Otherwise it will take over. You can always grow it in a pot or hanging basket.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago
    Hi pink! I also love (chartreuse) creeping jenny and have used it over the last 10 years. Our regions are much different but I find it is quite a spreader. I like to put it in places it can't go too far (pots, window boxes and beds surrounded by hardscape) but I have also found it dies back quite quickly if it does not get enough water (or sun or too much sun) and that it is easy to pull if it gets in the wrong spot.

I especially love it mixed with the ground cover Labrador violet.
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

By nature of the job they do, groundcovers tend to be somewhat aggressive. You have to match their aggression level with the scale of the job they're doing. I've never cared for creeping jenny so can't offer specific advice on it, but in general, if you're not sure about what a groundcover is going to do, don't dive in head first. Get a few plants in a place where it can be controlled (especially with pavement, curbs or walls) and see how it does for you. (I once tried Tricolor Houttuynia, thinking it was kind of cute. OMG, by summer's end I was panicking if I could get rid of it!) Also, covering large areas of ground can get a bit expensive. If you start with a few plants, because of groundcovers' propensity to spread, you usually can develop a ready source of new plants for the future. There are lots of standard groundcovers for large areas. Many interesting perennials can be used as groundcovers for limited areas.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

The creeping Jenny will not be nearly the problem that Yardvaark's Houttuynia was! I agree with the suggestion of the Sedum Angelina or Lemon Ball and also agree that you should start with a small area and see if you like it. Don't do ivy. Veronica Georgia Blue is pretty and worth a try.

• nancyofnc
    4 years ago

Ajuga is another choice. It can get aggressive but easily pulled. It shows a lovely blue flower in the spring and when those brown up I use my weed whacker to trim the tops. I like the Chocolate Chip and Bronze because they do not not have the bright leaves like the green ones have and kind of replaces the overall look of pine straw.

Creeping Phlox is also a colorful choice though I have found it grows quite slowly and browns up in the winter. You'd have to buy a lot of plugs just to get it started, but it's not very aggressive. I wanted it to cover a small mound and it took 3 years to get even halfway. The flowers are welcomed in the spring and provide a splash of color when nothing else is blooming.

• nchomegarden
    4 years ago

I have angelina under one of my roses and it is perfect.

ajuga needs shade here in the carolinas.

I have creeping charlie that has invited itself into my beds. It is easy to pull out and smells great.

• skmom
    4 years ago
    Having grown creeping Jenny in a couple of zones now, I’d say it’s an aggressive spreader, but I didn’t find it overwhelming for larger perennials, bushes, and trees. I prefer to keep in in bounds with some hardscape. It’s very easy to cut back (I just use scissors) but be careful with those clippings... they will root where they are dropped. At my last home (DFW area) I had it as a very full ground cover under a Japanese maple and some hydrangeas. I had transplanted some to a nearby bed with some tightly trimmed Japanese hollies, but then I had to bring that bed out further because I needed to add some hardscape. I added a wide decorative edging of bricks to give myself some space between the creeping Jenny and the blasted Bermuda grass. (I despise Bermuda grass near an ornamental garden!) Once I did that, it was easier to keep the two from mixing... they were a nightmare together because the ugly Bermuda grass would grow up all spindly through the pretty creeping Jenny; it was less of a problem in the areas that received more shade though. Anyways, the brick border gave me more time and a gauge for knowing when to cut the creeping Jenny back to keep it out of my lawn. I don’t usually prefer a hardscape edge to my beds that border lawn areas, but that creeping Jenny made it necessary imo.
  • pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Looked up all suggestions. Love the look of many of them. The sun my front beds will get is a hot sun that lasts the majority of the day. I think that some of these may not fair well in that ??? Still trying to figure that out. We don't have an irrigation system and although NC has had and gets plenty of rain I noticed yesterday while out there that my one bed and dry and cracked soil in one area, surprisingly but then again it hasn't rained in a few days here.

One bed is bordered by the driveway on one side of it and Bermuda grass on three two sides and the house itself on one side. It was suggested by the project manager for our builder than I put some type of divider in between grass (Bermuda ugh) and bed because he said Bermuda grows horizontally and will grow into the bed and is a pain to get out once in. So we plan on taking that suggestion. The other bed is grass on one side and house on the back and driveway on two sides. I think that because of this the ground cover will be contained to the beds relatively easily based on what everyone has said.

The back beds that will be against our house are in the shade as I type this and I think might be a great place for the Vinca Minor Amy suggested . I like the idea of a flowering one for that area too.

Doug is the Angelina Sedum actually a succulent? If so I am assuming more drought and heat/sun tolerant that most that have been listed?

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 years ago

The Angelina sedum is a succulent & is low maintenance.

pink_peony thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

I like the suggestions of Sedum Angelina and Veronica Georgia Blue. Angelina is a succulent, and while Georgia Blue isn’t, GB does well in sun or shade for me. Both play well with other plants IME. I will only grow golden creeping Jenny in pots; I find it far too aggressive in spreading otherwise, climbing over barriers, rooting cuttings, etc. and because of its color, it shows up quite visibly as a weed in the lawn.

Your barrier between the Bermuda and the lawn should include a vertical barrier that is deep along with a flat mowing strip of brick or other masonry material. That will allow you to both the Bermuda grass out of the bed and keep the groundcovers out of the lawn.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago

I saw golden creeping Veronica at the nursery yesterday and it reminded me so much of creeping jenny. I'm not sure if this plant is invasive as well, curious to what others say

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago
    And also the bellflower Dickson's Gold.
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

I have grown both golden creeping Veronica and also Dickson’s gold. I have never had Dickson’s Gold come back a second season and I have tried it at least twice and perhaps three times in different sites. The gold Veronica I tried looked great in early spring but later in the year was just sprawling and sloppy. Perhaps cutting it back right after looming might make it look better.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Contrary to some of the advice given here for growing Ajuga in the Carolinas (it needing shade), I have no problem growing it in what I would consider full sun (6-8 hours direct sun). It does not fade nor does it appear to get stressed in the sun as long as it has ample water. Here is chocolate chip growing between some stones and a flat of it that has actually been left unplanted for 1 1/2 months (both in full sun) and the bronze type growing in full sun as well (blue flowers have phased out). I don’t know that I’d consider it fully evergreen. It’s not something I’d like to gaze on during winter, but I guess technically speaking, it’s still there to be seen although not very pretty IMO.

Either way though, it does form a nice tidy and tight mat. It spreads easily but I would not consider it invasive here (although it is invasive in other climates and places)

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info