Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_hogan6021127

accessories and styling help

Carolyn Oliver
4 years ago
So I’m happy with the wall colour, dining room and we got a new couch , and slip covered the accent chair. I need help and suggestions with the living room “jewelry” and achieving the same look in the living room as we do in the dining room. Im confuses with what colour I should use to tie everything together without making everything stark with the navy and greys. I know I need new rug, curtains, possibly new accent chair and coffee table, but not sure with colour and style- help and suggestions welcome( product photos helpful)

Note: L-shaped townhouse with the dining room area on the same wall as the kitchen and the living room across from the kitchen

Comments (14)

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

The dining room style is all about minimalisim and dramatic color choice. Clean lines, bold colors. The three colors right now are White/.Navy/Red.

The kitchen is browns, tans, muted colors and the livingroom is gray, tans muted colors.

The couch has beautiful, clean lines.

Everything else in the room is more soft, subdued, adorned.

To achieve the same feel in the livingroom as the dining room is easy. Get a bold geometric area carpet. Get solid pillows in white, navy and red. Get some dramtic art work, something as bold as the art in the dining room. Get a new coffee table has the same clean lines as the dining room. remove everything else from the room.

Get window coverings that are unadorned. Roman shades would work. I would probably make those navy to balance with the navy accent wall. Paint the wood around the fireplace white.

I may add an accent chair in the corner where you currently have the side table with a lamp. Maybe a deep red chair similar to the dining room chair or maybe more Navy. Have to get closer to the look before selecting the right balance of color.

On the coffee table you will want a single large glass dish in deep red. Next to the fireplace on the opposite side as the chair you want a single accent piece. Something like a large, dramatic Red vase or maybe a large white statue of a giraffe laying down.. Again, you want solid colors and no adornment. Bold statements.

Dining room table needs reds and blues. A dramatic centerpiece, place settings that are bold.

Solid white square dishes with Deep navy glassware and red salad plates.

The kitchen can also look bold and dramatic, but will cost. Cabinets painted white. Solid backsplash, solid counters, new tile flooring in white or gray. New stools with modern, clean lines.

Use Navy, gray and white as your primary pallet and red accents. You can throw a few yellow accents in as well.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Question, will minimalistic, dramatic decor fit with your lifestyle and a small child?

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If not you could add some bold features to the living room and kitchen and soften the dining room a bit.

Get covers for the white chairs in a muted gray, similar to the couch. Get a soft, floral centerpiece that not overly bold or dramatic.

Get art that is a bit less dramatic.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Jennifer thank you so much for your feedback! It really gives me a plan to move forward with! This isn’t our forever home and will likely move I. A few years so renovating the kitchen is out of the question. Everything was beige before and more traditional. I am trying to establish a cozy contemporary look and currently use storage ottomans as a stylish way to hide toys for our 2 young children. Here were a few ideas I had for rug accent chair art and table. What do you think?
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Something like this? I mixed sofa and dining wall colors in rug.

FYI You do not have to match coffee and side tables.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Also additional art I really like- do you think it would look nice?
  • Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Celery girl- how do you make photos like that with the rugs imposed in the room?
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I use Photoshop. I forgot to mention that wall art in dining room is too high.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I was thinking something bolder and cleaner

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

saw both on overstock. Didn't have time to look at much.

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

My only comment, not sure, but I think your dining room art might be hung a little too high. Center should be about 55 to 60” from floor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Can you turn the dining table?

The light over the table it way too small, but it could be relocated to the living room to replace the ceiling light there which is much to bright

Lower the painting on the blue wall a bit and if you can turn the table, then place one white chair on either side of the painting until you actually require them for dinner. Right now the area seems a bit too jammed up with chairs.

Then I would paint the farm wall in the living area blue also so that any are you place on the wall stands out

I would place the dining room fixture in the LR for a soft light

Add some type of metal 3 D wall decor to the wall behind the sectional

Select some full height drapery panels for the windows

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I have done the changes in the dining room and your all right with the suggestions. Also added navy curtains

I absolutely LOVE THE RUG Jennifer hogan suggested- it would tie everything together but my husband isn’t sure if it’s worth investing in a rug with a 4 month old and a 2 year old and the inevitable spills. I don’t care- thoughts?