Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatbbqribscb

Decorating help.......rug/shades/curtains

Hockeymom
4 years ago

My walls are Benjamin Moore Pale Smoke. Wanting to pull more blue than green out of the walls. Need to finish the decorating portion..... any suggestions for color of rug and curtains. We don’t get a ton of sunlight so thinking i need to stay on the shearer side for curtains. Also nothing can be interior mounted. Planning on putting the curtain rod to the ceiling and 10-12” to either side of the trim. We are also replacing the brown trim for white trim. Open concept room. Kitchen is white with a gray and blue veined counter top. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Couches are brand new Lazy Boy light gray. Painting could stay or go. Also looking for a coffee table or ottoman.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First lower the TV get a cabinet to put below it and a mount that does not stick out from the wall like that one. As for drapes I would look for something the same color as the walls or as close as possible, get a rug with some blue in it . I am not really getting a feel for your style so maybe share that. The art is not my taste but is it original or just a print? I would looka t something like this for a rug this one is from Wayfair It gives you some color to work with for accents. As for a coffee table or ottoman I guess you decide if putting your feet up is a must then an ottoman you need some end tables and lamps

• hollybar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In a dim light room with a dark floor and your pretty cool tone walls, I would plan on adding some warm,even if "neutral" accents. & I would want that shade or a variant to appear in the rug. Note for example the addition of the caramel leather and accents to the creamy and cool here.

But what is your style? Trad,modern,neo-trad,beachy,boho? Curtain wise, keep the volume nicely stacked back (that's the #1 reason for putting the rod 10-12" outside frame) to allow maximum light. (as above) Not the sheerness of the fabric. Again,let us know your style for more targeted specifics.

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would say traditional modern- transitional. I like the clean homey look. Staging the home for sale in the next 1 to 3 years. It was a 70’s split level 3 full floors with an addition as well. 4000 sq feet that we have completely remodeled. Want to the room to look as large as possible. We took down a wall to make an open concept and am trying to not make the room look smaller with furniture.... just making it look finished while being able to use the area for our family of 9 when they are all home!

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    4 years ago

We think this design of ours might help you with your dilemma. Note the rug and window coverings.

Historic School House Apartment · More Info

Historic School House Apartment · More Info

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would start with a beautiful deep blue patterned rug that incorporates some of your wall color. After that you can replace the sofa pillows with more interesting ones. Look for an oversized coffee table in wood or glass. You don't need drapes at all, which would hang down over your floor heaters.

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    That is awesome!! How did you do that?
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I would go with a lovely layered look! Solid drapery paired with a complimentary cellular shade. This way you have softness, style, energy efficiency and the utmost in privacy control!

• J J
    4 years ago
    following
  • H B
    4 years ago

Calidesign brought up a question that I would love to know the answer for -- what about the baseboard heating all along the wall where a curtain would go?

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, there is baseboard heating there where the curtain would go. Hate it-but some of the runs are from when there was electric heat, some converted to the hot water heat. We have been toying with adding a mini split in which case it would not matter. My thoughts were that it really doesn’t matter if its covered up-at least for the moment.......??

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure that i really need privacy.....?

Anyone have any thoughts on the trim? Paint it white or leave it brown?

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I pushed the Tv mount back into the wall as it is when we are in the living room..... we pull it out and rotate when we are watching while cooking or eating in the dining room or in the sunroom.

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Don’t mind the tan chair that is leaving.... my son just brought it upstairs from his room while his grandmother was visiting.... i’m Actually looking for a louis small accent chair that rotates 360 degrees... to possibly go in that space.

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cellularwindowshades.... I am a Vermont Born Girl!! do you have a showroom in Burlington? I’ll be home for Mother’s Day!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you don't need anything for privacy, leave the window bare. Whether or not you paint the molding depends on what you have in other adjoining areas. In addition to the coffee table, you also need end tables and lamps.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I would choose a lighter wall color, white trim, and no shades. I would much prefer a room with a lighter feel. Gloominess would be a big turn-off for me as a potential buyer. White curtain panels would then work.