Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eminaptos

Vertical art on a horizontal wall?

Emily R.
4 years ago
As lovely as this industrial-chic piece is , I’ve been looking for something to cover up the electrical panel prominently displayed on our dining room wall. I found this beach-y print at Pier 1, and even though it’s mass-produced, the colors work (they match the backsplash, which admittedly you can’t really see that well when looking at the pic), it’s big, I like it, and it’s cheap. ;) My husband thinks the vertical orientation looks bad on this wall. He generally has a better eye than I do, but I think this will work — and honestly, I’m sick of looking — both at the panel and for art (and ‘art’).

Painting is 36x60. Slider to side porch on right; peninsula/kitchen to left, bigger longer wall behind which I also need to fill with art.
Opinions??

Comments (8)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In the photo I see the table./chandelier not centered on the wall, but you mention on the other side of the slider there is a bigger wall which needs something.

Are the chandelier and table centered on that larger wall? If so hang the art on that wall.

For the wall with the panel, hang a collage, but stagger the pieces, instead of hanging one thing right over the panel.

I like this idea because the blue glass ties in with the canvas.

Paint the panel the same as the wall while you are at it.

Emily R. thanked JudyG Designs
  • Emily R.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's the relevant part floorplan -- I realize my pic is not the most enlightening as to layout. ;) "Nook" is the dining room; 8-foot ceilings; the wall in question is the bottom one. The chandelier/dining table are centered in the room, but that particular wall goes only 3/4 of the way over because of the hallway. So centered on the wall =/= centered on the room, or the light fixture (although there is an accent can light that *is* centered on the wall, and correspondingly, offset from the chandelier).

I'm not opposed to collages, but I don't think I'll be able to find something in a set that is big enough to cover that dang panel. I had not thought of painting it the same color as the wall, however; will definitely do that.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

It is a nice piece for mass-produced, and I like the colors. I think it will work. It will have a more modern look than a painting in landscape mode, but I think it will be fine.

• Emily R.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for that visual, @IdaClaire -- super helpful!!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

If you hang the canvas over the electrical box, everything will be off balance to the eye. If that won’t bother you, then go ahead and hang it.

It would drive me nuts, to have a large piece on a small wall, and not in line with the table and chandelier.

• Apple JT
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That painting is nice and if it's what you like... is there any way you can center it with the table/chandelier and put something smaller on the right side of the painting? Such as a much smaller painting, sconce, wall pocket, etc?

@IdaClaire - Like your wall paint, what color is that? :)

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Thanks, Apple. It's Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige.