Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cara_kuhl

What would you do? Privacy that still looks good for front entry?

What is your opinion? Our front entry door has 6-glass panes that are beautiful but allow anyone who comes to our door to pretty easily see into our entryway and even into our living room if they try. We would like to create more privacy, however 1) don't want to block all light and 2) want it to look aesthetically pleasing and keep with the classic + current vibe of our home.

Would you....

A) add a rod pocket shade that matches the side light shades?

B) Use some kind of window film?

C) Any other solution? I'm open to ideas. (Ex. A different storm door? A different kind of shade? If so, what kind / style?)

Thanks in advance for your opinions! I should be able to solve this but I'm stumped because I don't love the look of the two options I list above, but also we would like a bit more privacy.

Comments (15)

• mmilos
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would add rod pocket sheer to match your sidelights. I think the film will look cheap and funny. The sheers will give a consistent look.

You say you like the light, but since you have sidelights, you could replace the door with a full paneled wood door - which could still look very classic.

• PRO
    cara alyn interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the rod pocket for the reason you said, but I want to make sure there's not an idea out there I'm not thinking of. I like the look of a full paneled door too, but our door is original to the 100 year old house and it's actually quite cool, I'd hate to get rid of it.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Frosted film has come a long way. When applied correctly, it looks fine and allows light while obscuring the view in.

• mmilos
    4 years ago

I agree then. Keep the door.

You could also look for a privacy film that is applied to the sidelights and door.

Whatever you decide I would keep it consistent.

The sheers look nice and in keeping with a 100 year house.

• PRO
    cara alyn interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the input! We do have the opportunity to get a new storm door - would you think a storm door with rain glass do the trick, or is this just adding another element of complexity to the design?

• mmilos
    4 years ago

Keep the storm door plain glass. You don't want to put a shower door in front of your old, nice wood door.

cara alyn interiors thanked mmilos
  • K Laurence
    4 years ago

Our house has something even more open than yours, we leave them open but our front is walled & our house is contemporary & I’m not a curtain fan. . Some neighbors have opted for film, looks fine if done correctly.

• PRO
    cara alyn interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I agree that if it were only the entry way a person could see, I wouldn't be so concerned. Thanks for your input!

• Kim
    4 years ago

Could you contact a glass company and see if they could replace the glass planes with privacy glass similar to these pics?

Transitional Cottage Home · More Info

Transitional Cottage Home · More Info

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Based on our experience, replacing the glass can be very pricey.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Another option that has not been mentioned is spray window frost. Very economical. Rustoleum has it.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Home Depot sells all sorts of decorative window films. They apply with water spray, no adhesive. If you applied one and later decided you didn't like it, you could remove it and try something else.

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

I'm with everyone else who said window film. It's inexpensive, looks good and is super easy to do.

• PRO
    cara alyn interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all your comments. For those saying window film, have you done this on beveled panes with success? I think that makes it more complicated?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH