Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_frazer

Trex Winchester grey fade can it be painted or stained

Amanda Frazer
4 years ago

My contractor selected and installed Winchester grey deck in my new construction house and to my surprise the color is looking like a navy blue. For my white with black trim modern farm house I’m finding it to be an eyesore. I was wondering if anyone has this color and if after the fading period if it turned more grey. Also curious if anyone knows about painting or staining Trex deck. Is this really an option? Once I start will their be maintenance?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Why is your contractor SELECTING? Who APPROVED the selection? That dumb question aside.........

" it is important to wait for Trex to fade (approximately 12-16 weeks) before applying paint or stain. If the Trex decking is painted or stained before it fades, the paint or stain could become discolored and adhesion may be compromised".

Use porch paint if you paint it. A few years later, be prepared to do it again.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Navy sounds like it would be stunning with your colors. Trex doesn't produce a navy though. Why don't you wait, get your patio furniture set up and maybe a potted plant or two. See what you think when you've viewed it in different seasons. Once you've painted, you are just about committed to more paint and upkeep - and the decking in its natural state will be more carefree.

• bherian
    4 years ago

Hi! Do you have an update on your decking? I’m installing Winchester Gray this weekend and just came across this thread. Mine better not look navy!

• Amanda Frazer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The deck went in before I had the white siding up so the house was green. The green made it look more navy. I would say it still looks navy but looks really good against my White House with black accents and railing. After putting furniture on it I’m happy with the deck. The blue hint is only noticeable if you’re really looking at it or in certain light.

• bherian
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info and picture!! I think it looks great :)

• k bjornson
    3 years ago

bherian - how did yours turn out? My planks were just delivered today and they look so blue to me that I am starting to get nervous.

• PRO
    The Laugesen Team
    3 years ago

I installed the Winchester grey as well and love it against my White House. It does not look navy in my opinion. We have had for about 8 months now and still looks closer to a faded black.

• Jason Stefanko
    2 years ago

My winchester grey order just showed up. I hate it. Its blue, not grey. Trex charges a 25% restocking fee. Choose wisely.

• k bjornson
    2 years ago

Once they are installed, they turn dark grey. i felt the same dread when i saw my delivered planks stacked in a pile in my yard 2 years ago - as far as i was concerned, they were navy blue. Tears may have swelled up - my whole deck

plan was based on dark grey planks. i convinced myself to take the chance and i dont regret it - our finished deck is beautiful.

My biggest petpeeve is dust - the dark grey shows dust - i bought a boat deck brush attachment for my garden hose and brush it down once a week

• Jason Stefanko
    2 years ago

Thanks K. Any chance you'd have time to post a photo? I'm almost certain I'm sending it back.

• Jason Stefanko
    2 years ago

I’m store Winchester sample looks black. My order of Winchester grey from trex looks navy blue. Trex charges a 25% restocking fee. Buyer beware

• k bjornson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Those pictures definetly bring back memories of that day - they looked so blue!

• k bjornson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I can’t get my phone to upload the pictures ill try posting again tomorrow morning. the finished product was the dark grey i was looking for. With black metal/glass railings, white potted plants, and a pergola, the whole project turned out perfectly!

• chkyle68
    last year

We had the same thing. Online color selected it looked gray. When we received it it was closer to blue. I even bought Winchester Grey plugs for the steps and where I couldn't use hidden fasteners. Those were gray. I believe it is being discontinued as a color. What is interesting is if a take a photo with my flash on, it's grey. If not, it's blue.

• nede
    11 months ago

Has anyone had issues with scuffs on the winchester grey?

• HU-583345052
    9 months ago

I actually am looking for this color because I like the blueish tint in the sample board. It sounds like that may fade? My other question, though, for those who have the Winchester Gray is how hot do these get in the summer? Thank you

• Amanda Frazer
    Original Author
    9 months ago

It fades but mostly because it gets dirty. i like it more muted so I don’t worry about washing it more than once a year. The majority of my deck is shaded so it isn’t hot at all. My stairs are in the sun and I can walk barefoot without issue but I might not want to stand on it for a long time without shoes. Hope that helps.